What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

I don't like it if we are limiting it to people with previous head coaching experience. That got us Hawkings and MacIntyre. A lot of good coaches out there who came from the coordinator ranks. We had success with MacCartney and Crowder neither of whom had been HC in college previously. I think that is a stupid criteria.

Holgorson makes more than 3.5M per year...We would have to offer at least 4M....that is 7M per season including MM's dead cap....probably unaffordable unless a wealthy alum weighs in.

Reading other coaches current contracts...many have a clause that the buyout is 50% of the salary and remaining years if fired...looks like RG didn't take that path.

With the news that Colorado has parted ways with coach Mike MacIntyre, here’s a look at the candidates. MacIntyre’s buyout of nearly $10.5 million could loom here, as Colorado is not flush with cash. Here’s a look at athletic director Rick George’s potential top candidates to replace him, as a dearth of quality West Coast coach candidates could end up with George seeking a candidate from further East.

1. Matt Wells, Utah State – Sources consistently say George prefers a showman as a coach. MacIntyre didn’t have much sizzle. Wells has a big personality and is the hottest coach on the West Coast. He’s led Utah State, a definitive have-not in the Mountain West, to five bowls in six seasons.

2. Bryan Harsin, Boise State – He’s stayed patient, as he’s well-compensated and has the best job in the league. He’s led Boise to five straight bowls, including a Fiesta Bowl victory in 2014, and holds a winning percentage well over 75 percent. Another former Boise State coach, Dan Hawkins, flopped here. But that era started in Colorado’s Big 12 days. Harsin comes from the low-key Chris Petersen tree and may not be the magnetic personality George is seeking.

3. Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia – It’s likely not going to get much better for Holgorsen than this season at West Virginia. He’s a quirky personality, which could be a fit in Boulder. And being able to recruit Texas harder would be a more natural tie to his roots. His quarterback-friendly system would sell tickets and attract recruits. Can they afford him?

4. Mike Norvell, Memphis – He’s got Pac-12 experience from his time at Arizona State and would give the program an immediate jolt of offensive acumen. He’s led Memphis to back-to-back seasons with a top-10 offense, and that philosophy would follow him to the next job.

5. Eric Bieniemy, Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator – He’d be a sentimental favorite as a graduate and famous alum. He’s also part of the most rollicking offensive show in the NFL, which is intriguing. What could hurt him here is that his stint as offensive coordinator under ex-Buffaloes coach Jon Embree was undistinguished as they ranked 92nd and 119th.

View photos
West Virginia’s Dana Holgorsen would be returning to a more natural tie to his roots if he took the Buffaloes job. (AP)
More
6. Neal Brown, Troy – He’s another awkward geographic fit, as he’s been primarily a coach in the South and Southwest, spending the past decade at Troy, Texas Tech and Kentucky. Troy’s explosive offenses and upsets of Nebraska and LSU over the past two seasons have a lot of folks taking notice.

7. Ryan Day, Ohio State OC – He’s the top offense coordinator on the board, which makes him a logical candidate at most open jobs. This is a pinch of an awkward regional fit, as he’s been primarily an Eastern coach outside of a forgettable season as the 49ers quarterback coach.

8. Jimmy Lake, Washington DC – He’s the West coast coordinator with the most buzz around him, as he’s thriving in his first year calling Washington’s defense. (Washington is in the top 20 in both scoring and total defense). Lake is also an engaging personality and dynamic recruiter who could fit George’s desire for some buzz.

9. Jeff Tedford, Fresno State – He’s an established and experienced coach with ties to the league and a history of success. He’s took over a moribund program and led it to the top of the Mountain West standings and consecutive bowl games. At 57, would he leave his alma mater?

10. Jason Candle, Toledo – Even with the Rockets taking a dip this year, he’s the most marketable of the MAC coach after winning the league last season. His ability as a play-caller to develop consistently prolific offenses as both a head coach and coordinator is key. Does an AD view him as the next Matt Campbell, who he followed at Toledo?

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-candida...ermanent-solution-185041544.html?guccounter=1

I don't like it if we are limiting it to people with previous head coaching experience. That got us Hawkings and MacIntyre. A lot of good coaches out there who came from the coordinator ranks. We had success with MacCartney and Crowder neither of whom had been HC in college previously. I think that is a stupid criteria.

mac and hawk dont deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence in that tone

Holgorson makes more than 3.5M per year...We would have to offer at least 4M....that is 7M per season including MM's dead cap....probably unaffordable unless a wealthy alum weighs in.

but theres offset language in macs contract

but theres offset language in macs contract
That's an interesting point.

I'm far from an expert or well-schooled on coach contracts.

Is it a case that "offset language if hired during remaining term" and "future years not fully guaranteed language" is an either/or thing and you don't see both in the same deal at this level?

Cant you see MM sticking it to CU and not looking for a job? I could. He is a bitter man.

The contract stipulates that he must make good faith efforts to secure employment. RG will sue his ass if he just eats bon bons. There are plenty of G5 and low P5 schools that need a rebuild.

Babers, from the research I've done so far, is at or near the top of my wish list. With HI and CA ties, I think he would be a fit, and he has a big personality that some say RG is looking for.

Back