What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

It brings up a fun point for discussion, though. What are the biggest funding needs for the AD? Is it salaries? Is it debt service? Scholarships? Facilities? If somebody were, hypothetically, to drop half a Bill on the AD, where would it have the most impact?
Bathroom facilities in Folsom have to be priority #1 for the AD.

In all seriousness, I think "staffing" is priority #1 and that should encompass not only the coaching staff (HC and the 10 AC), but the recruiting staff, academic support staff, and what I would call the "health and wellness" staff.

Recruiting staff - Three different departments with different focuses - VP level leaders heading up each one with multiple Director level managers under each

1. Current Players - This staff is mostly focused on NIL for current players. Calling local businesses, encouraging donations to the collective or engaging with specific players directly for NIL spots.

2. High School Recruits - Traditional recruiting department that is likely the largest of the 3 groups, that is in charge of staying in touch with priority HS recruits with graphics, letters, tweets, film cut ups, happy birthday messages, etc. Part of this staff would be a group that handles all the OV and UV logistics.

3. Transfer Portal Recruiting - Self explanatory. Recruit good transfer players.

It brings up a fun point for discussion, though. What are the biggest funding needs for the AD? Is it salaries? Is it debt service? Scholarships? Facilities? If somebody were, hypothetically, to drop half a Bill on the AD, where would it have the most impact?

Half a billion is at the level you could do everything.

Bathroom facilities in Folsom have to be priority #1 for the AD.

In all seriousness, I think "staffing" is priority #1 and that should encompass not only the coaching staff (HC and the 10 AC), but the recruiting staff, academic support staff, and what I would call the "health and wellness" staff.

Recruiting staff - Three different departments with different focuses - VP level leaders heading up each one with multiple Director level managers under each

1. Current Players - This staff is mostly focused on NIL for current players. Calling local businesses, encouraging donations to the collective or engaging with specific players directly for NIL spots.

2. High School Recruits - Traditional recruiting department that is likely the largest of the 3 groups, that is in charge of staying in touch with priority HS recruits with graphics, letters, tweets, film cut ups, happy birthday messages, etc. Part of this staff would be a group that handles all the OV and UV logistics.

3. Transfer Portal Recruiting - Self explanatory. Recruit good transfer players.
This.

Number one priority has to be getting and keeping talent in the program.

School needs to make reasonable changes to allow for transfers from both other 4 year schools and from JCs. Not saying to go full K-State but be comparable to the other teams we compete against.

Need quantity and quality in support staff, recruiting, coaching, academics.

Our coaches need the support that makes their time and effort spent recruiting more valuable and efficient, find the right kids, establish and maintain communication with the HS coaches (this can be done by support staff) maintain effective follow up. This needs to be headed by a pro, by somebody who knows and lives recruiting, not just by somebodies buddy or and old guy/family member who needs a job.

Multimedia support of recruiting. Kids like seeing themselves in cut ups, in videos, also make visits to the school both official and unofficial as well as camp visits etc. highly focused on impressing the kid.

Must have a budget for assistant coaches that keeps us from hiring off the scrap heap. Want to see us getting assistants hired away because that means we are finding and developing coaching talent.

The bathrooms at Folsom are the least of our worries. Much more important is developing ways to keep young fans, students and recent grads engaged with the program long term. These are the fans (and ticket buyers and donors) of the future. As the older core fans age out there must be a core of new one developed to replace them. This market has far to many options available to let this go and hope to get these people back or replace them in the future. And these people don't mind pissing in a trough.

You guys are overthinking the hypothetical. Staffing costs are a drop in the bucket.
I was less concerned with the amount of money in the hypothetical and more just answering the question about what is the biggest priority if there was money to spend.

Agreed, that if CU had $500m to gift to the AD, you would just do everything

****, if I won the powerball, I'd go straight to Saliman with sizeable donation with the stipulation being RG and PD are fired immediately, then the school gets the donation. Then I'd donate to the AD if a solid AD was put in place.
I'd go to Tad and tell him I'm prepared to lead a cooperative to give him whatever he needs.

The football program would have to hire a coach who engendered the same level of trust. Right now, I don't have confidence anyone at CU could reliably tell me what football needs.

When I win, I will be the new Athletic Director.
if i win, i am going to pull a random homeless dude off of pearl street and he shall become the new AD! i absolutely guarantee improvement.

also, my endowment will include dispensaries IN THE STADIUM.

we are going to be so ****ing cutting edge. welcome to folsom field at [insert giant pot company] stadium!

and also my private suite will include circus animals, strippers, aging rock stars, and probably a few south american despots.

if i win, i am going to pull a random homeless dude off of pearl street and he shall become the new AD! i absolutely guarantee improvement.

also, my endowment will include dispensaries IN THE STADIUM.

we are going to be so ****ing cutting edge. welcome to folsom field at [insert giant pot company] stadium!

and also my private suite will include circus animals, strippers, aging rock stars, and probably a few south american despots.
oh, and miss argentina and miss puerto rico will definitely be there.

Half a billion is at the level you could do everything.
Yeah, but that’s not really the question. Where would that have the most impact? It’s purely academic anyway, so the number isn’t really important.

You can get most/all of the staffing issues resolved with an additional $8-10 million.

Beyond that, upgrade Folsom on the west side.
So, no scholarship endowment then? All into facilities? I tend to disagree. I remember hearing that USC had its entire football program endowed. Every scholarship, every coaches salary, all the operating costs are covered by an endowment (no idea if this is actually true or just an unfounded interned rumor). I think if we could pull off something similar, it would free up a lot of capital for other things. Similarly, if all of the debts for the AD could be retired, it would free up a lot of cash flow.

I mean, as long as we are dreaming about winning power ball, might as well really think about some constructive and sustaining ways of utilizing the money.

So a $500m donation set up in a fund that's paying 3.5-5% a year, giving around $25M a year in extra bread.
A competent AD would put together a $300mm fund, take $100mm off the top to spend over next five years, and compound the rest for the entire five years. Then (s)he can fundraise/add to the pot based upon successes on the field.

Twitter sleuths... is there a way to track who people have been following? I used to do it on tweetdeck but they took it away.

Twitter sleuths... is there a way to track who people have been following? I used to do it on tweetdeck but they took it away.
You can still do it on tweetdeck, at least for me. I have an account that only follows people I care to see updates from and then have an activity feed set to follows only but you should be able to see the activity feed either way?

Capture76987.PNG

I don't think it will happen. From espn:

"Sanders reportedly has drawn strong interest from Colorado and Georgia Tech. Auburn fired coach Bryan Harsin on Monday. Harsin finished with a 9-12 record and survived less than two seasons; Sanders is being linked to that job, too."

I don't think it will happen. From espn:

"Sanders reportedly has drawn strong interest from Colorado and Georgia Tech. Auburn fired coach Bryan Harsin on Monday. Harsin finished with a 9-12 record and survived less than two seasons; Sanders is being linked to that job, too."

Getting Sanders would be awesome. It is hard to imagine CU doing something so cool. I’m a little shocked that RG is even trying.

Step 1: find a coach who can win over .500.

In the realest sense, nothing else matters until that happens. And we will accept all downstream ramifications just to accomplish Step 1.

Step 1: find a coach who can win over .500.

In the realest sense, nothing else matters until that happens. And we will accept all downstream ramifications just to accomplish Step 1.
It's CU, so unfortunately our "Step 1" needs to be: "Anyone you might be considering who would not be considered by any other P5 peer needs to be immediately eliminated from your candidate list."

This should be a general rule for all CU AD jobs.

The question is what happens when RG doesn’t get his first choice? That story ended badly last time.
He’s long term planning.

Step 1: get hurt jumping around like jackass
Step 2: start hiring search
Step 3: get surgery and painpills
Step 4: predictably **** up hire
Step 5: have lapdogs blame painpills for **** up
Step 6: profit

Joe Dirt GIF by MOODMAN

Back