What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

UK fan here.

Eliot is a pretty good hire if he is a position coach for you guys. But if he is the DC, good luck.

I saw the 247 link about his all time recruits. About half of those from his Kentucky tenure he had no hand in. He got a couple on signing day a couple of years ago but that is about it. He can't recruit (at least as a DC). Our OC (Eddie Gran) has been here for a year and has three times as many commits than Eliot has. Again, he is a very good position coach but there is a reason why he wasn't calling plays by the 4th game of the season.

The only reason he wasn't gone a year or two ago is because him and Stoops are BFFs. Stoops tried to help him find a job so that he didn't have to fire him. I really hope he is a position coach for you guys.

If you have any questions about him, his recruiting, or his defense, don't be hesitant to ask.

Well after this glowing review..

You need to prove that

You need to prove the opposite since it contradicts everything that has been reported about what happened with Baer being let go at the end of 2014. MacIntyre wanted to change the defense to more multiple on the front out of a 3-4 base (and become more aggressive), which is what happened.

The alternate theory would be that he hired a DC and gave total control over the defense. Considering that was what Gibbs wanted and a primary reason he didn't end up at CU before HCMM went with Leavitt (and then didn't see a need to give JL much time before spring ball to work on scheme)... I don't know what support there is to the notion that JL was hired and that JL then had the idea and authority to change the defensive system.

UK fan here.

Eliot is a pretty good hire if he is a position coach for you guys. But if he is the DC, good luck.

I saw the 247 link about his all time recruits. About half of those from his Kentucky tenure he had no hand in. He got a couple on signing day a couple of years ago but that is about it. He can't recruit (at least as a DC). Our OC (Eddie Gran) has been here for a year and has three times as many commits than Eliot has. Again, he is a very good position coach but there is a reason why he wasn't calling plays by the 4th game of the season.

The only reason he wasn't gone a year or two ago is because him and Stoops are BFFs. Stoops tried to help him find a job so that he didn't have to fire him. I really hope he is a position coach for you guys.

If you have any questions about him, his recruiting, or his defense, don't be hesitant to ask.
Peachy.

What type of soda does he prefer?

Ridiculous to draw firm conclusions about a guy who was A) along for the ride as stoops called the defensive plays and B) trying to accomplish much of anything at an afterthought program like kentucky.

Ridiculous to draw firm conclusions about a guy who was A) along for the ride as stoops called the defensive plays and B) trying to accomplish much of anything at an afterthought program like kentucky.
He wasn't along for the ride while stoops called plays. He was in charge of that for multiple years and got demoted.

You need to prove the opposite since it contradicts everything that has been reported about what happened with Baer being let go at the end of 2014. MacIntyre wanted to change the defense to more multiple on the front out of a 3-4 base (and become more aggressive), which is what happened.

The alternate theory would be that he hired a DC and gave total control over the defense. Considering that was what Gibbs wanted and a primary reason he didn't end up at CU before HCMM went with Leavitt (and then didn't see a need to give JL much time before spring ball to work on scheme)... I don't know what support there is to the notion that JL was hired and that JL then had the idea and authority to change the defensive system.

Well Leavitt made the change. Mac fired Baer cause he could not cut it at this level. Not because of the defense type. When Leavitt came in he said they were gonna be base 3-4 but he would have to understand the players before he decided if that was gonna be the case.
Leavitt made the 3-4 work with what he had.

You can give all the credit to Mac you like. But the 3-4 was decided on by Leavitt and implemented by him

I agree Kentucky is an afterthought in the SEC but since Mac has been here they've had a better recruiting class every single year. He wasn't coaching slouches

this program has seriously squandered all of the momentum that it had 2 months ago when we were sitting at 10-2. our program looks like a tire fire now. crushed in the last two games of the season, looking like we didnt even belong on the field. lose good coaches. hire a guy who couldnt hold his position at a bottom feeder school. lose recruits. lame.

I agree Kentucky is an afterthought in the SEC but since Mac has been here they've had a better recruiting class every single year. He wasn't coaching slouches
As we pointed out with sirmon, just because they were high in the rankings doesn't mean they were high in the SEC, so he could have very well been coaching slouches.

this program has seriously squandered all of the momentum that it had 2 months ago when we were sitting at 10-2. our program looks like a tire fire now. crushed in the last two games of the season, looking like we didnt even belong on the field. lose good coaches. hire a guy who couldnt hold his position at a bottom feeder school. lose recruits. lame.
Dramatic but get the sentiment.

As we pointed out with sirmon, just because they were high in the rankings doesn't mean they were high in the SEC, so he could have very well been coaching slouches.
He was coaching top 30 classes and gave up back to back 40 point, 500 yd games to southern miss and New Mexico to start out last season before gettting demoted? Kentucky doesn't have better players than they do??

He was coaching top 30 classes and gave up back to back 40 point, 500 yd games to southern miss and New Mexico to start out last season before gettting demoted? Kentucky doesn't have better players than they do??
No i understand that I'm just telling you that most of the sec recruits in the top 30.

49 pages in and I still doesn't understand how 'Official' belongs in the thread title.

"Official" usually just means that we don't want to have to clean up 20 different threads about the same topic so we'll be moving everything into this one if people start new threads on the same thing.

David Gibbs and Kacy Rodgers.

David Gibbs would have been a great hire... what's his defense ranked, again? It's time people realized he got completely lucked out with the Leavitt hire, who was the actual orchestrator of "the rise". How many games did the offense completely fall apart in last season? 5 by my count, but hey, I'm sure Mac's inability to get along with a vastly superior coach (Leavitt) isn't a cause for concern. Now let's pump that sunshine!

New Mexico runs an option offense that is really similar to the service academies. It's a nightmare for defensive coaches to prep for because it's so rare in this day and age. As an example, Air Force played at Michigan State in 2015 IIRC. Brian Griese said on that broadcast that MSU defensive coaches had begun prep for Air Force in March of that year......just to give you an idea of how difficult it is.

Eliot had more than enough talent to be successful, especially in the secondary. We were very very weak on the defensive line so the first three games (for the most part) included Southern Miss, Florida, and New Mexico State running right up the middle for five yards at a time. Excruciating.

Once Stoops took over, the weakness on the defensive line seem to close. Quite a bit, actually.

Eliot had more than enough talent to be successful, especially in the secondary. We were very very weak on the defensive line so the first three games (for the most part) included Southern Miss, Florida, and New Mexico State running right up the middle for five yards at a time. Excruciating.

Once Stoops took over, the weakness on the defensive line seem to close. Quite a bit, actually.
I don't believe any of the things you say because I don't believe Kentucky football fans actually exist.

I don't believe any of the things you say because I don't believe Kentucky football fans actually exist.
Tough being one obviously, although the good recruiting classes and 7-5 finish (best record in a while) at least gives hope.

There are very few that exist.

Appreciate the perspective @lp866

I'll give the new DC, if it's Eliot, the benefit of the doubt, since every situation is unique and success can be all about right place, right time.

Best piece of advice we ever got from another fan base: "You hired the wrong coach [Dan Hawkins]; Chris Petersen is the brains." - Boise State fan, circa 2006

Back