What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

For sure. But as long as he's winning and delivering Top 30 recruiting classes I'll give him the benefit of most doubts. And right now, that's what he is.

Yep. I absolutely agree. However, for me, the last couple months has allowed doubt to creep in as to whether he can sustain that or not.

I wonder what the lifespan is for the "trust Mac" line. I know there is a crowd here that is going to stick to that regardless of record next year. They shouldn't. Any worse than 7-5 combined with the last six weeks or so means to me that we still don't know what we have in MacIntyre.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves all the accolades for this season and I love the persona he puts out there. But it is one season in what was a down year for the conference. He's profited immensely from that, I don't think he also deserves perpetual unwavering "trust" from the fan base/boosters.

can we trust him until we play a game in 2017? I know all we have to react to during the offseason is staffing moves, but he has given us no reason to not trust him when it comes to actual gameplay. I have no idea what to expect from this hire, but I'm excited to see where it's headed!

can we trust him until we play a game in 2017? I know all we have to react to during the offseason is staffing moves, but he has given us no reason to not trust him when it comes to actual gameplay. I have no idea what to expect from this hire, but I'm excited to see where it's headed!

Need to continue the recruiting momentum this spring and summer.

I get what you're saying, but to think no red flags should be thrown up looking at his RESULTS as a DC is nuts.

I think most would be happy if he was say the LB coach and good recruiter. His track record as a DC is far below what JL brought.

We'll see...sorry burrito

Absolutely. He's earned some. But I'm leery of hearing that line in a couple years if things go poorly between then and now. I just do not want us to become an apathetic fan base. We have a history of that.

Yep. Finish off this class, including any post-NSD additions through transfers or late qualifiers to backfill any attrition holes. Then keep the momentum for the 2018 class rolling from our 3 early commits by building the foundation of another Top 30 class before fall camp starts.

Regarding the offseason coaching staff changes, I want to feel like we've got a group that can recruit with any other Pac-12 staff at the other end of this process.

Good point. I'll amend my post to "I'm excited to see where it's headed & that excitement shall only be tempered by poor recruiting this spring & summer. ...or news that the folsom sound system received a contract extension."

off to the basketball forum for a few months!

Absolutely. He's earned some. But I'm leery of hearing that line in a couple years if things go poorly between then and now. I just do not want us to become an apathetic fan base. We have a history of that.
You have wildly greater belief in the positivity of the masses than I do. The masses always suffer from recency bias.

Buffzone reporting he's the highest paid CU assistant ever at $700k per year. Not only an iffy hire but we felt the need to way overpay. Confusing

Have you seen that Michigan is paying their of and D.C. $2 million a year for 5 years and other position coaches 1 million. I bet you believe CU should be a big boy football school, so what effect does the market place do to that view?

Have you seen that Michigan is paying their of and D.C. $2 million a year for 5 years and other position coaches 1 million. I bet you believe CU should be a big boy football school, so what effect does the market place do to that view?
Don Brown isn't making $2 million a year, Aranda is as LSU but Michigan is paying 3 assistant coaches over a million a year (Brown, Hamilton and another position coach I believe). 700K doesn't seem like anything crazy at all I don't know why people would be mad about that.

For top guys I agree 100% you have to pay. I'm saying this guy was making $575k, lost playcalling duties and had no one else chasing after him? So why do we give him a $125k raise? Just seemed unnecessary.

Don Brown isn't making $2 million a year, Aranda is as LSU but Michigan is paying 3 assistant coaches over a million a year (Brown, Hamilton and another position coach I believe). 700K doesn't seem like anything crazy at all I don't know why people would be mad about that.
You're saying this guy is in their league when he couldn't cut it at Kentucky? Hope you're right but that's a stretch. Those guys are proven.

You're saying this guy is in their league when he couldn't cut it at Kentucky? Hope you're right but that's a stretch. Those guys are proven.
Yes those guys are qualified and they are making double what Eliot is. You say he "couldn't cut it" but he wasn't fired so the Buffs were going to have to up his salary and besides it's not like Kentucky is handing out a bunch of money to assistant coaches. CU needed to up their salary pool and is clearly doing that. It's not like Eliot is making a crazy amount as a Pac-12 DC either.

For top guys I agree 100% you have to pay. I'm saying this guy was making $575k, lost playcalling duties and had no one else chasing after him? So why do we give him a $125k raise? Just seemed unnecessary.
And tell the world you made a cheap hire? You have to pay him the going rate for his position, at minimum 700K should be the expectation for a Pac-12 school at this point regardless of the hire's resume or experience. Also with cost of living differences, that's about equal pay.

You also have to consider the cost of living increase, which is a factor. According to a few quick "cost of living calculators" it's a 21.24% increase from Lexington, KY to the Denver metro area, in order to maintain the same standard of living. If he was making $575k in KY, a comparable salary for the same standard of living would be just under $700k. Not unreasonable.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

And tell the world you made a cheap hire? You have to pay him the going rate for his position, at minimum 700K should be the expectation for a Pac-12 school at this point regardless of the hire's resume or experience. Also with cost of living differences, that's about equal pay.
Yes indeed. We should be encouraged that CU is establishing a competitive rate for assistant coaches rather than bitch they are making too much.

Let's cut through the fat shall we..The U just sold itself short with this hire and pay. CU touts itself as being a premier U as an educational institution as well as a campus unlike any other in the country for quality of life. The U and quality of life have a value which more than offset the raise given, and then there is the mediocre resume of the hire. I understand Eliot's moving for a raise as this is the way of things in the world, at the same time one has to ask "what have you done to merit it"? Of course Eliot would take the offer at equal or less than the SEC pay for the position just so he could get out from under a Stoop and continue his future. Now begs the question what was JL offered to stay on? 700K vs 1Mil not that much of a gap so in the end did it just come down to JL and MM not being best of buddies.

Let's cut through the fat shall we..The U just sold itself short with this hire and pay. CU touts itself as being a premier U as an educational institution as well as a campus unlike any other in the country for quality of life. The U and quality of life have a value which more than offset the raise given, and then there is the mediocre resume of the hire. I understand Eliot's moving for a raise as this is the way of things in the world, at the same time one has to ask "what have you done to merit it"? Of course Eliot would take the offer at equal or less than the SEC pay for the position just so he could get out from under a Stoop and continue his future. Now begs the question what was JL offered to stay on? 700K vs 1Mil not that much of a gap so in the end did it just come down to JL and MM not being best of buddies.
Rumor was JL was offered almost 900,000 but Oregon offered 300,000 more a year and added a 4th year.

700k vs a 1m isn't much of a gap lmaooo.

The way I view the hire is CU was willing to shell out 900k for a DC, so they upped Eliot's salary but got him at the right, fair price, well under 900k. Time will tell if it's a good hire but he obviously checked a lot of boxes that MM was interested in.

If you have a problem with the hire, that's fair but it was clear we weren't going to pay big money for a hire that didn't feel right to the AD. I don't understand anyone having a problem with the 700k outside of headline reading that he's now the highest paid assistant ever.

Back