What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

I can't tell whether you're joking or mocking people who talk like this and it scares me.
You're probably better off not trying to contemplate how Skiddy's mind works. Besides, I doubt he fully knows which he was doing.

Just to throw in my two cents, I'm with the crowd that thinks MM and RG will come together and hire the right guy(s?) in time. A couple of recruits may bail, but the right guy(s?) should be able to replace them. I hope.

As far as the open slot for a multi-year contract, I think Chev is probably cool with being year to year, as long as the $$ is right. The fact that he bleeds Black and Gold is mutual assurance that he will stay as long as he isn't getting screwed, I imagine. If it makes the Buffs a better team to save that slot for another key hire (who isn't comfortable with Colorado's yearly contract crap), he's likely to be one of the assistants more willing to gamble on his own competence, IMO.

Well in fairness, they did have their guy lined up prior to the dead period ending, but got button-hooked a little bit and had to go back to the drawing board.
Leavitt left on Dec 14th. Louisville didn't need a DC until 3 days ago. I have no idea what held up the process, but if Sirmon was "their guy" they had plenty of time to get it done.

Leavitt left on Dec 14th. Louisville didn't need a DC until 3 days ago. I have no idea what held up the process, but if Sirmon was "their guy" they had plenty of time to get it done.
That's not really true, they fired Grantham but waited until he found a job to hire Sirmon. Sirmon played us along that whole time for whatever reason, whether legitimate interest or to get more money from Louisville.

The important thing to remember is whoever they hire give the guy a chance to coach the defense before rushing to judgment immediately. Not saying you specifically would do that but in general fans like to grade the hire before the guy ever coaches a down for your team. If MM hires someone and we are not blown away because it's not a "name" I feel like he'll just be the scapegoat every time an opponent gets a 1st down. Maybe I put too much trust in our HC of the year to hire the right guy?

The purpose of the post was to show how a certain team has no problem after a crap season getting HC, OC OL DC, DB and DL coach before we have any. I'm sure it will be a good hire, but might want to speed it up a bit, recruits are wondering wtf is coaching the defense.

That's not really true, they fired Grantham but waited until he found a job to hire Sirmon. Sirmon played us along that whole time for whatever reason, whether legitimate interest or to get more money from Louisville.
When did this firing allegedly occur then? How long does a coach allow himself to be strung along by a potential hire? 4 weeks?? It seems like after a week or two you might start moving toward your plan b.

When did this firing allegedly occur then? How long does a coach allow himself to be strung along by a potential hire? 4 weeks?? It seems like after a week or two you might start moving toward your plan b.

Maybe Sirmon was plan B. or C.

You're probably better off not trying to contemplate how Skiddy's mind works. Besides, I doubt he fully knows which he was doing.

I aspire to be an artist and Allbuffs is my muse.

Some of my favorite work leaves judgement squarely in the eye of the beholder.

With regards to the coaching vacancies, it is vexing how long it took to hire Leavitt and how quickly it took to for him to bolt.

Seems like between the Cutliff coaching tree, the Parcells network, and the many opportunities that MacIntyre has had to rub elbows with members of the coaching profession during his COTY tour, by now he should have a pretty good sense of who is both available and interested in CU.

Oregon proves that $$$$$ talks.
The delay, I suspect, comes down to issues between the agent of the candidate and whoever controls the purse strings at CU.

It's not easy having champagne taste on a beer budget.

You're probably right; I've just been laboring under this delusion that our athletic department staff has at least some semblance of competence. Probably time for me to wake up and accept that, at least when it comes to hires, these guys are just utterly unprepared.

I suspect if it's not a "name" coach or an NFL guy, you'll hear plenty of folks here (myself included) wondering why this person could not have been hired weeks ago and hit the ground running when the recruiting dead period ended.

Deja vu. I read this same thing 1000x 2 years ago.

Deja vu. I read this same thing 1000x 2 years ago.
2 things:

1) Jim Leavitt was both a "name" hire and an NFL guy, so if we hire someone of similar caliber, most will be pleased...which is what I said in my post. Reading is hard.

2) We weren't nearly as concerned about protecting our sh**ty recruiting class that year, and we didn't exactly finish strong with that class, so wouldn't it be nice to have a full staff able to recruit and sell this program the last month before signing day?

2 things:

1) Jim Leavitt was both a "name" hire and an NFL guy, so if we hire someone of similar caliber, most will be pleased...which is what I said in my post. Reading is hard.

2) We weren't nearly as concerned about protecting our sh**ty recruiting class that year, and we didn't exactly finish strong with that class, so wouldn't it be nice to have a full staff able to recruit and sell this program the last month before signing day?
1. I did not read the if. So I guess I should say, yes, reading is hard when you skim and miss that.
2. I don't disagree. I feel the same way.

So I rescind that tweet and apologies for having reading being so hard! Leavitt was a name guy only because he was a HC at USF and had success there. Otherwise he had never called a defense on his own until that time. If we get a guy that can recruit and shown he can be a legit coach at NFL or P5 that is my main concern. And yes, this class can close strong with the right staff. Waiting until February just to look at all candidates really would not make much sense since most all those candidates are for the most part available today.

Seems like we could've had him a while ago, if we were interested. Maybe there's too much animosity with him and MM left over from the bitter old SJSU-Fresno State rivalry. No love lost there.
Also he was very vocal about wanting the CU HC job before we hired MM if I remember right. After parting ways with someone gunning for the HC position, might not be the type of coach MM wants to add.

1. I did not read the if. So I guess I should say, yes, reading is hard when you skim and miss that.
2. I don't disagree. I feel the same way.

So I rescind that tweet and apologies for having reading being so hard! Leavitt was a name guy only because he was a HC at USF and had success there. Otherwise he had never called a defense on his own until that time. If we get a guy that can recruit and shown he can be a legit coach at NFL or P5 that is my main concern. And yes, this class can close strong with the right staff. Waiting until February just to look at all candidates really would not make much sense since most all those candidates are for the most part available today.
I would add too, that at the time Leavitt was hired there were some serious concerns about Mac's ability to lead this program, so bringing in a guy who had been a successful head coach at this level helped give this staff some gravitas when we needed it. We may need something different now.

I would add too, that at the time Leavitt was hired there were some serious concerns about Mac's ability to lead this program, so bringing in a guy who had been a successful head coach at this level helped give this staff some gravitas when we needed it. We may need something different now.
That's actually why I liked Sirmon. Young guy that can recruit and you can help mold. Not older dude looking to take the reigns should you fail.

So, if you were a potential DC hire evaluating the CU job, what would you look at? We know all the great things. But they may consider they are replacing a guy who built an awful defense into a great one and that the great defense is losing most of its star power. They may think there is no possible way they are going to match that performance next year and that they may get blamed for the defense regressing.

So, if you were a potential DC hire evaluating the CU job, what would you look at? We know all the great things. But they may consider they are replacing a guy who built an awful defense into a great one and that the great defense is losing most of its star power. They may think there is no possible way they are going to match that performance next year and that they may get blamed for the defense regressing.
That would be a only a slight drawback for a DC looking for a longer term position. Next year will likely be a step back, but the future looks good for success at CU. Leavitt came and left at the most opportune time for his career. He'll probably do the same at Oregon

Back