What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Officially off the Macintyre bandwagon

You're a lot more patient than I am. If we miss out on bowl games this year and next year then I don't see the justification in bringing him back in 2019. At that point I would absolutely roll the dice that someone else could do better than 1 bowl game in 6 years.

We still have a couple opportunities this year to make a bowl which would hopefully put this discussion to bed for a while.
I was trying to describe what I expect to happen, not what I want and am patiently waiting for. My feeling is that a change is needed because I expect MM will not work out. But I could be wrong and the contract will hold him at least through 2019 IMO.

I blame the second half drives on Kaiser. When Lynott was in during the 1st half the line looked fine. Pressure was coming at will in the second half and you could tell how uncomfortable Montez was back there.
Did they announce what his injury was during the broadcast?

30 points is not winning football for that game.

Especially with the mistakes factored in that took 11 points off the board.

Especially with the 2nd half drives looking like this (wearing our defense out):

Drive 1: 3 plays, 7 yards, 0:31 (punt)
Drive 2: 4 plays, 3 yards, 1:32 (FG)
Drive 3: 3 plays, 69 yards, 0:55 (TD)
Drive 4: 3 plays, -1 yard, 1:18 (punt)
Drive 5: 5 plays, 10 yards, 2:35 (punt)
Drive 6: 5 plays, 64 yards, 1:29 (FG)
Drive 7: 6 plays, 20 yards, 2:36 (punt)
Drive 8: 4 plays, 34 yards, 0:46 (INT)

I blame Lindgren for a lot of this. It's one thing to go fast when you're scoring. Going fast when you're not scoring is just setting up what happened: a 24 point 4th quarter by ASU against a gassed CU defense.

And, yes, I know the weaknesses of this defense and that they need to be better. But Lindgren also knows the weaknesses of this defense and has to call his game with that in mind. MacIntyre needs to step in and micromanage that kind of stuff, which he has done in the past. Why MM didn't tell Lindgren to slow things down, I have no idea.
For those keeping score at home, that's an average of 4 plays and less than 90 seconds over 8 consecutive drives. Holy ****, batman.

Did they announce what his injury was during the broadcast?
Not that I heard. Our offense was night and day different from the time he went down. I don't think Montez or the coaches have a lot of faith in Kaiser and that showed in play-calling and execution. Not to let Lindgren off the hook, though. If we couldn't stop the rush from that side, at least set up some screens to Lindsay.

MacIntyre will be here until 2020 - CU is not picking up more than a $3 Million buyout. I do not know his contract but I hear it is pretty much $3 million per year which CU is on the hook for if they let him go without cause. I think Rich George has decisions to make regarding how involved he gets in the football program - I think he would just like to offer suggestions not ultimatums. The makeup of the staff is an issue to me and even last year when Leavitt left it took a long time to fill the position and we were not going after the top candidates which has been the blueprint for MacIntyre. Even if certain staff are fired are we going to hire anyone better. There seems to be little commitment to hiring top recruiters.
This is what troubles me the most.

Again, if Kaiser is the sixth best OL on the team, since he is first off the bench with an injury...get Independence Community College on the phone, stat.

Did you see Macs post game quotes after ASU? He did exactly what I said he would, blamed it all on the players “they didn’t do what we told them to do”. Implied coaches did everything perfect, didn’t point out any of the bad coaching decisions LOL

I blame the second half drives on Kaiser. When Lynott was in during the 1st half the line looked fine. Pressure was coming at will in the second half and you could tell how uncomfortable Montez was back there.

And now we are back to recruiting. I did not pay attention to the line play but why was Kaiser in for Lynott? Kaiser is a tackle and Lynott is a Center/Guard, they must of done some other shifting around. Kaiser was listed as the starting RT for the Game and Lynott the Center - so someone who paid attention please clarify how Kaiser was substituted in for Lynott. Does not make sense to me.

And now we are back to recruiting. I did not pay attention to the line play but why was Kaiser in for Lynott? Kaiser is a tackle and Lynott is a Center/Guard, they must of done some other shifting around. Kaiser was listed as the starting RT for the Game and Lynott the Center - so someone who paid attention please clarify how Kaiser was substituted in for Lynott. Does not make sense to me.
When Lynott went out, Huckins came in at C.

Kaiser did struggle in the 2nd half, but that wasn't the position change that led to what we saw.

I thought the first half of the ASU game was the best half of football we have seen from CU all year. Other than the drops, they pretty much did what they needed to do.

Not sure if this has been brought back up yet, but one thing that is still very prevalent, is the lack of depth. When Moeller and Lynott went down, both offense and defense went to ****. Obviously there was more to play than those two being out and other issues, but one thing I thought MM was doing a good job of was depth on this team. We knew we couldn't take too many hits on D, but the lack of offensive line depth and the issue there is very perplexing.

I said this after the WSU game and still holds true. There is a fundamental issue with this team and I am starting to think this senior class is very weak mentally and does not have the mental makeup of last years team (except for Lindsay).

Did you see Macs post game quotes after ASU? He did exactly what I said he would, blamed it all on the players “they didn’t do what we told them to do”. Implied coaches did everything perfect, didn’t point out any of the bad coaching decisions LOL

I saw that and shook my head. Your team has been giving up over 6 yards a carry all season and even teams they do not run well (ASU, WSU and OSU) all have field days rushing the ball against your team. And to say that in week 10 is an insult, IMO, to the fans' football IQ. CU is very weak in the interior DL and LB positions, they are over matched. But to blame it on missed tackles and missed assignments without tying it to coaching this late in the season is a little unrealistic. I thought MacIntyre's strength was sound fundamental football.

His buyout, if fired this year a would be approximately $12.3M and goes down by about $3M per year. It's a lot of money for CU, but I also don't believe we could afford to keep a losing coach around until 2020 if that's what happens.
2020 is a lifetime away in college football. If he makes it through the 2020 season and then gets fired, that's RG allowing him to coach here for 8 seasons with (likely) only 1 or 2 bowl trips. Not firing him until 2020 would show a complete lack of commitment to sustainable excellence or whatever slogan the AD has been pushing the last few years. Can't see that happening.

Immaturity killed this season.

3 key guys kicked off the team from the defense.
2 captains suspended to start the season.
Some guys who obviously got cocky off last year instead of having a chip on their shoulders this season, which has shown up in sloppy play.

What's most frustrating to me is that the offense hasn't performed anywhere close to its capability.
All of those are issues that good coaching should address. If your players truly buy into you and your program, they don't get suspended or kicked off the team. especially 2 captains

I thought the first half of the ASU game was the best half of football we have seen from CU all year. Other than the drops, they pretty much did what they needed to do.

Not sure if this has been brought back up yet, but one thing that is still very prevalent, is the lack of depth. When Moeller and Lynott went down, both offense and defense went to ****. Obviously there was more to play than those two being out and other issues, but one thing I thought MM was doing a good job of was depth on this team. We knew we couldn't take too many hits on D, but the lack of offensive line depth and the issue there is very perplexing.

I said this after the WSU game and still holds true. There is a fundamental issue with this team and I am starting to think this senior class is very weak mentally and does not have the mental makeup of last years team (except for Lindsay).
This is the year that we're paying for the 2014 recruiting class.

Signed 23 guys and this is the list of players who see the field 4 seasons in:

Leo Jackson
Jay MacIntyre
Shay Fields
Terran Hasselbach
Michael Mathewes
Josh Kaiser
Jase Franke
Evan Worthington
Rick Gamboa
Isaac Miller

Note: Ahkello Witherspoon was in that class, so that does bring it up quite a bit.

Fields was clearly the star of that recruiting class. Worthington has star potential. Gamboa has been very productive. Jackson was a nice find. After that, some good (e.g., MacIntyre, Franke) and not-so-good rotational guys. To get so little production in the 2-deep from a class in the 4th season after signing is weak, particularly for a rebuilding program that depends on player development so that upperclassmen make up for talent gaps by being physically adults and playing smarter. It just hasn't been there.

fwiw, I have a lot more confidence in the 2015 class that is taking over much of the team leadership next year. If some things on players returning break our way, it ends up being an outstanding class in consideration of where the program was when they signed and how "meh" it looked at the time.

Chris Bounds
Nick Fisher
Aaron Haigler
Alex Kinney
Tim Lynott
Dillon Middlemiss
Steven Montez
Brett Tonz
Lyle Tuiloma
N.J. Falo (if he returns)
Isaiah Oliver (if he returns)
Frank Umu (if he returns)
Justin Jan
Patrick Carr
Blake Robbins
Donald Gordan

Note: that class also included Afolabi Laguda and Jordan Carrell from the JUCO ranks, making it a very good recruiting year regardless of what the star rankings said on paper that year.

Also of note is that this class back-filled the miss at WR with the transfer of Tony Brown, who was a class of 2015 who could make an impact. Need to do the same at LB and on the DL.

All of those are issues that good coaching should address. If your players truly buy into you and your program, they don't get suspended or kicked off the team. especially 2 captains
Buck stops with the coaches. They failed to reach this year's team for whatever reason.

Between offseason distractions and this being the first time MacIntyre had to deal with coming back from a successful season, it was not handled well. Talent is better than the record this season.

2020 is a lifetime away in college football. If he makes it through the 2020 season and then gets fired, that's RG allowing him to coach here for 8 seasons with (likely) only 1 or 2 bowl trips. Not firing him until 2020 would show a complete lack of commitment to sustainable excellence or whatever slogan the AD has been pushing the last few years. Can't see that happening.
Letting MM stick around until 2020 in that scenario would run counter to everything in the strategic plan:
  • One (1) P12 Championship in football by 2019
  • One (1) NY6 Bowl by 2019
  • A bowl bid every year 2017-2019
I think that's the yard stick against which MM is measured. He misses a bowl this year and it's officially "behind target" for the last part and he's definitely on the hot seat.

Letting MM stick around until 2020 in that scenario would run counter to everything in the strategic plan:
  • One (1) P12 Championship in football by 2019
  • One (1) NY6 Bowl by 2019
  • A bowl bid every year 2017-2019
I think that's the yard stick against which MM is measured. He misses a bowl this year and it's officially "behind target" for the last part and he's definitely on the hot seat.
I agree. I don't think RG has any interest in keeping MM around, solely because of his buyout, if he isn't getting the program to at least 6 wins a year.

When Lynott went out, Huckins came in at C.

Kaiser did struggle in the 2nd half, but that wasn't the position change that led to what we saw.
What did you see? Curious because I only watched the game once in real time with a 3- year old screaming at me.

From my view Kaiser was standing in cement all night and it was evident on almost every play that he had no idea who he was supposed to block. Exhibit A would be the blocked punt, but unfortunately that was only the tip of the iceberg. They even brought Frazier over to his side to try and give him some help.

What did you see? Curious because I only watched the game once in real time with a 3- year old screaming at me.

From my view Kaiser was standing in cement all night and it was evident on almost every play that he had no idea who he was supposed to block. Exhibit A would be the blocked punt, but unfortunately that was only the tip of the iceberg. They even brought Frazier over to his side to try and give him some help.
That's exactly what I saw, but the 4 guys to his left were more than covering for the deficiency at RT while Lynott was in the game.

That's exactly what I saw, but the 4 guys to his left were more than covering for the deficiency at RT while Lynott was in the game.

I thought for sure I saw Miller out there the first series, but the participation report says no. What's up with that?

It’s funny, where we’re all these comments last year? I know it’s hard to take a step back this year from the perennial powerhouse we’ve been for the past 15 years, but we’ll survive. Coach Mac isn’t going anywhere, Rick George doesn’t want him gone. He’ll have at least 2 more seasons after this to prove that he can’t win with his recruits and better facilities. I do believe that he will be persuaded in the off-season to take a hard look at his assistants though, they aren’t up to par.

I would not have a problem if an SEC or other program comes along and takes MM away and pays us a nice buyout that we can use to more solidify the coffers, because as all the analysis points out, good things have been done by Coach Mac, but are we at the point of overachieving, or is there really room in the RISE for Mac to continue upwards. Does not look possible with this staff. I like our players, we need more. I love our facilities, they are selling recruits.

I strongly believer that RG will sit down with MM and review each and every assistant coach on the staff and determine if they are the absolute best person for their position, and if they are, negotiate a long term 2-3 year contract with pay raises (Only one I see in this light right now is Chiv, and maybe Adams and Brown). But, if they are not the best or right coach, then they are gone. Holding back on rushing into giving everyone a longer term contract was brilliant by RG and he has a plan that will be executed. Need to have a solid salary budget, and need to be aggressive to go and find the best coaches possible, especially in the area of recruiting.

The Colorado Job is now a pretty good job, and would be attractive to many of the hot G5 Coaches or solid P5 Coaches or Assistants. Mac seems to be taking a breath and wondering how to move forward from where we are, and I am not sure he has any new answers?

I would not have a problem if an SEC or other program comes along and takes MM away and pays us a nice buyout that we can use to more solidify the coffers, because as all the analysis points out, good things have been done by Coach Mac, but are we at the point of overachieving, or is there really room in the RISE for Mac to continue upwards. Does not look possible with this staff. I like our players, we need more. I love our facilities, they are selling recruits.

I strongly believer that RG will sit down with MM and review each and every assistant coach on the staff and determine if they are the absolute best person for their position, and if they are, negotiate a long term 2-3 year contract with pay raises (Only one I see in this light right now is Chiv, and maybe Adams and Brown). But, if they are not the best or right coach, then they are gone. Holding back on rushing into giving everyone a longer term contract was brilliant by RG and he has a plan that will be executed. Need to have a solid salary budget, and need to be aggressive to go and find the best coaches possible, especially in the area of recruiting.

The Colorado Job is now a pretty good job, and would be attractive to many of the hot G5 Coaches or solid P5 Coaches or Assistants. Mac seems to be taking a breath and wondering how to move forward from where we are, and I am not sure he has any new answers?

He is never gonna get any answers or new suitors. I seriously doubt he had any last year. He is a bum coach always and always has been, just verify the record, stats speak volumes. If you cant stand the heat GTFO of the kitchen. This wanker folds like a cheap suit. Look at MAC handle pressers any condescending or challenging question he gets all flustered. He isnt anything close to SEC ready. Those fans would burry him alive if he had a 4th quarter lead by 10 points and managed to piss the game away losing by 11. And here at CU 90 percent of the fans say despite the dissapointing ASU performance he should get 2 more years because hes a nice guy, WTF? are you kidding me 'merica, where is there any accountability. I swear we have the dumbest fans in all of sports.

He is never gonna get any answers or new suitors. I seriously doubt he had any last year. He is a bum coach always and always has been, just verify the record, stats speak volumes. If you cant stand the heat GTFO of the kitchen. This wanker folds like a cheap suit. Look at MAC handle pressers any condescending or challenging question he gets all flustered. He isnt anything close to SEC ready. Those fans would burry him alive if he had a 4th quarter lead by 10 points and managed to piss the game away losing by 11. And here at CU 90 percent of the fans say despite the dissapointing ASU performance he should get 2 more years because hes a nice guy, WTF? are you kidding me 'merica, where is there any accountability. I swear we have the dumbest fans in all of sports.
Poor HCMM, from NCAA coach of the year to “throw the bum out” in less than 12 months. While I wasn’t fully enamored with MM last year, and perhaps many of us knew of some underlying flaws that have surfaced in 2017 as we feared, the Coach of the Year award buys a minimum of 2 years with a third if the wheels don’t completely fall off.

Back