What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL Recruiting

The latter three options sound better.

The coaches really have bungled class balance in a major way here and do not seem to be addressing it.

I've stated this before but I think it is actually getting much closer to happening.

I like MM a lot but I am starting to see him fired in the next year or two and it will all be due to the total failure to recruit on the OL and DL at the PAC12 level.

The last couple years have looked better but only because the prior years were completely without success at the HS level. In the past couple years we have finally started to bring in some quality HS kids but the term too little too late looks to apply.

I hope I am wrong. I hope they can patch together this season enough to win 7-8 games and get us to a bowl and then to have something on the OL to build onto for the future but somehow I don't expect us to be that lucky

We can say that if Miller had gotten and stayed healthy and if a couple other things had happened we would be okay but they didn't. Reality is that those things happen to every college program in one form or another. You have to expect it and recruit to cover it, we haven't.

I've stated this before but I think it is actually getting much closer to happening.

I like MM a lot but I am starting to see him fired in the next year or two and it will all be due to the total failure to recruit on the OL and DL at the PAC12 level.

The last couple years have looked better but only because the prior years were completely without success at the HS level. In the past couple years we have finally started to bring in some quality HS kids but the term too little too late looks to apply.

I hope I am wrong. I hope they can patch together this season enough to win 7-8 games and get us to a bowl and then to have something on the OL to build onto for the future but somehow I don't expect us to be that lucky

We can say that if Miller had gotten and stayed healthy and if a couple other things had happened we would be okay but they didn't. Reality is that those things happen to every college program in one form or another. You have to expect it and recruit to cover it, we haven't.
You are right, if MikMac goes, it will be the lack of OL quality and depth, and DL depth, that does him in....

I don't get it. The OL is supposedly the smartest position group on the field.

not meaning to offend anyone.

LT - Aaron Haigler
LG - Tim Lynott
C - Colby Pursell
RG - William Sherman
RT - Josh Kaiser
Bench players who will contribute:
Tackles - Jake Moretti, Hunter Vaughn, Kary Kutsch
Guards - Brett Tonz, Chance Lytle, Kary Kutsch
Center - Brent Tonz

Last edited:
Heading into fall camp, it looks like this is how it pencils in:

LT - Moretti is the 1, with Kaiser there to take some of the snaps/ load off and Fillip maybe challenging as a true frosh
LG - position battle between Sherman and Tonz, with Kutsch challenging and Roddick possibly in that mix (Ray, if healthy, would also compete)
C - Pursell is the 1, probably with Paige backing him up.
RG - Lynott is the 1, with the guys who don't win the LG battle backing up
RT - Haigler is the 1, with Kaiser and possibly Fillip backing up. (Sherman could also be an emergency OT.)

Obviously that's all fluid and camp will hopefully answer the questions.

If Ray and Roddick are injured and redshirting to give them four healthy years I could see that. I don’t see them throwing Moretti in the mix right away. I would hope they ease him in there to make sure the legs are there. I only see Fillip as an emergency player and should redshirt, and yes I agree Buffnik...Only time will tell.

If Ray and Roddick are injured and redshirting to give them four healthy years I could see that. I don’t see them throwing Moretti in the mix right away. I would hope they ease him in there to make sure the legs are there. I only see Fillip as an emergency player and should redshirt, and yes I agree Buffnik...Only time will tell.
Moretti started the spring game, wasn't missing in practice reps by the end of the spring, and in final testing was iirc 2nd on the team with his squat lift.

All signs point to him being just fine -- even if he's still below his max lifts from before the injury.

LT - Moretti is the 1, with Kaiser there to take some of the snaps/ load off and Fillip maybe challenging as a true frosh
LG - position battle between Sherman and Tonz, with Kutsch challenging and Roddick possibly in that mix (Ray, if healthy, would also compete)
RT - Haigler is the 1, with Kaiser and possibly Fillip backing up. (Sherman could also be an emergency OT.)

Am I crazy to think that doesn’t look that bad? Sure, some youth there, but overall not that awful.

Am I crazy to think that doesn’t look that bad? Sure, some youth there, but overall not that awful.
Lots of youth and inexperience other than the right side. But a good amount of talent and violence/nastiness from that youth and inexperience.

I don't think you can assume it will all come together when there are so many question marks, but I definitely see a path to this being a solid OL in 2018 and I believe that's a reasonable, non Kool Aid, opinion.

Moretti started the spring game, wasn't missing in practice reps by the end of the spring, and in final testing was iirc 2nd on the team with his squat lift.

All signs point to him being just fine -- even if he's still below his max lifts from before the injury.
If Moretti plays well in fall practice I see him taking over the left side and Haigler back at right tackle. It’s all an if right now. Hope it plays out that way. Time will tell.

I think the line just shed its weak links and opened up scholarship spots.

Lots of youth and inexperience other than the right side. But a good amount of talent and violence/nastiness from that youth and inexperience.

I don't think you can assume it will all come together when there are so many question marks, but I definitely see a path to this being a solid OL in 2018 and I believe that's a reasonable, non Kool Aid, opinion.

The depth is pretty much non-existent, which is the main issue.

I think there are going to be games with solid OL play when they are all healthy.

Individual talent is pretty solid. Can they mesh as a unit? Who is the leader? Those are my questions.

The depth is pretty much non-existent, which is the main issue.

I think there are going to be games with solid OL play when they are all healthy.

This is the deal.

Counting on some very young players to come through early and counting on a bunch of guys to be and stay healthy. We would like both but how often does that all come together.

Kanan Ray took Grant Polley's spot is the way I look at it. Hope he can push the others.
For this year.

But, damn do I want Polley to get his personal matter worked out and find his way back. Losing HS All-American recruits before they've even gotten started isn't something I'd be happy about. Ray was an AA, too, so my feeling is...
both.jpg

Great list! I think you nailed it, with a few exceptions IMO.
I don't think Paige is close to playing yet. Either Tonz or Lynott are back up C.
Haigler moves to LT if Moretti can't play. Kaiser then will be at RT with probably Kutcsh backing up.
I hope that Fillip is ready to go because he might be needed.

Back