What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL Recruiting

Wilner ranks our lines dead last in the Pac-12 South. Not surprising.

6. Colorado
Top offensive linemen: LT Aaron Haigler, RG Tim Lynott
Top defensive linemen: DT Chris Mulumba, DE Terrance Lang, DE Mustafa Johnson
Division ranking (OL/DL/combined): 6/5/6
Comment: Only one lineman (either side) received all-conference recognition last season, OT Jeromy Irwin, and he’s gone. We’ll assume Lynott returns to full health (Achilles), but he’s just one piece of five: The Buffs are short on experience and impact players across the board. (Keep and eye on freshman Jake Moretti, however.) The defensive side is in better shape but hardly an elite unit. Progress depends on Johnson, a JC transfer, and Lang, who has disruptive length (6-foot-7) and quickness.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/11/south-lines/

6. Colorado
Comment: Only one lineman (either side) received all-conference recognition last season, OT Jeromy Irwin, and he’s gone. We’ll assume Lynott returns to full health (Achilles), but he’s just one piece of five: The Buffs are short on experience and impact players across the board. (Keep and eye on freshman Jake Moretti, however.) The defensive side is in better shape but hardly an elite unit. Progress depends on Johnson, a JC transfer, and Lang, who has disruptive length (6-foot-7) and quickness.

It's a pretty fair assessment, iyam. We have hope because of the unknown, but talented guys we have heard and read about, but from an outsider's perspective, the trenches are a **** show.

I’m not a fan. Established long ago. Go to practice. You will hear these words.
Not a fan? Why would you spend time here? We're just downtrodden CU.

There are far better boards to troll if you're an attention whore. It's deeper than that.

Your strong dislike of MM and your obvious crush on Chiv are telling. Beginning to come into focus ...

6. Colorado

This is spot on. Many here have said it. If the OL, and to only a slightly lesser extent the DL, can mature/gel and be effective in 2018, it will be the difference between a good season of seven-ish wins and one that resembles 2017, or worse.

There are far better boards to troll if you're an attention whore. It's deeper than that.

Your strong dislike of MM and your obvious crush on Chiv are telling. Beginning to come into focus ...
If God himself replaced Jon Embree, Hawg1 would be here trolling away, in his passive aggressive style, at God.

Passively Aggressively at all times.

A crush on Chiv? I questioned his readiness to be OC. MM is turning out to be who I thought he was in the beginning. Nice guy. Bless his little heart.

Opposed Embree hire from Day 1, especially the process. Suggested many alternatives. All water under the bridge now.
Ok. I guess I was equating you with big Jim. My apologies. I was the same on Embree fwiw, mostly the process so flawed with Klatt leading the way with the "must be a Buff BS".

The main flaw with MM was he was slow to bring up recruiting. Teams fire coaches during rebuilds all the time and frankly, very few CFB rebuilds have success. I think the only question now is: can he maintain recruiting momentum. If he can then that probably means that 2018 was at least ok and he's probably back.

Ok. I guess I was equating you with big Jim. My apologies. I was the same on Embree fwiw, mostly the process so flawed with Klatt leading the way with the "must be a Buff BS".

The main flaw with MM was he was slow to bring up recruiting. Teams fire coaches during rebuilds all the time and frankly, very few CFB rebuilds have success. I think the only question now is: can he maintain recruiting momentum. If he can then that probably means that 2018 was at least ok and he's probably back.
All good.

It has been forever.
tenor.gif

ehhh 2001 stands out as a phenomenal O-Line (just watch 62-36 highlights) but I can't think of a good offensive line since Barnett's tenure as HC. 2016 was solid, but the tempo we played with helped.
That OL in Hawkins’ first 2 years was good. Still had some Barnett guys, some good young guys and a great OL Coach.

I think this years oline is going to be more than capable. I think we have a 1200 yard rusher and Montez becomes a top half of the conf performer. They will be decent and this o roles

We are 2-3 years away from the best chance of having a truly good to possibly great O-line. As long as many "ifs" come true.

Moretti stays healthy and develops into the player he is projected to be.
Sherman continues his progress and develops into an all-conference level guard.
Pursell the same at center.
Either Ray, Roddick, Polley, or Lytle becomes an effective Pac-12 player at the other guard spot.
Filip (or Lytle) does the same at right tackle.

While Moretti, Sherman, and Pursell have been getting great press clippings, so far they haven't played that way in conference play so the expectations have to be tempered; but it's hard not to get excited after the miserable run of O-line play we've had over the decade plus.

This year I hope those 3 plus Lynott and Haigler can put something decent together to give us that silver lining.

OL optimism flashes every year in the spring time like the blossoms on top of the trees that make those long round seed pods that we all whipped each other with as kids. It's fleeting and I find myself thinking "what a funny thing."

I look at other position groups and I get optimistic. Then I look at the OL and my optimism gets crushed. Too important to have so many question marks in Mac’s 6th year. I have a feeling Mac’s seat is going to get Phoenix-in-August-hot this year. Hope I’m wrong.

The OL should have the most pure talent on the field that we’ve had in a long time, so there is good reason for optimism. The inexperience and lack of depth behind the starting group is the concerning part, and will cause serious issues if there are injuries.

This group has potential, but that’s all you can say at this point. Depth is still awful so injuries, and avoiding them, will play a major factor. OL is the unit on the team that relies on communication, during-the-play coordination, etc for there to be success. Mediocre talent can be overcome by intelligence, trust, and communication. Will it be a sum of the parts or something better? We’ll find out pretty soon after the first game jitters wear off.

Moretti, Sherman, pursell, lynott and haigler as the starting 5. Kaiser, tonz, kutsch as your 3 backups. That doesn’t seem that bad to me atleast. I would hate to see those 3 backups in starting roles but I am fine with seeing them in spots when injuries pop up. I am just worried about the starting 5 working together. It can’t get much worse than last year but Throwing moretti, Sherman and pursell our there all at once like that could be a little rough. Hopefully Sherman and pursell gained some much needed chemistry last season during practice.

Then we have two other backups in Paige and lytle who we aren’t expecting much from although I do think Paige is underrated. He might be able to fill some of those depth questions and I am very interested to see his progress in fall camp.

Can fillip and roddick step up to the plate this year?

Moretti, Sherman, pursell, lynott and haigler as the starting 5. Kaiser, tonz, kutsch as your 3 backups. That doesn’t seem that bad to me atleast. I would hate to see those 3 backups in starting roles but I am fine with seeing them in spots when injuries pop up. I am just worried about the starting 5 working together. It can’t get much worse than last year but Throwing moretti, Sherman and pursell our there all at once like that could be a little rough. Hopefully Sherman and pursell gained some much needed chemistry last season during practice.

Then we have two other backups in Paige and lytle who we aren’t expecting much from although I do think Paige is underrated. He might be able to fill some of those depth questions and I am very interested to see his progress in fall camp.

Can fillip and roddick step up to the plate this year?
Fillip and Roddick (assuming both RS) should be prime candidates to take advantage of the new 4 game rule. Need to get them some experience and who knows, maybe Fillip is more ready to contribute than we expect. He’s certainly there from a physical standpoint, IMO.

Wouldn't hurt to engineer an early blowout or two so the backups can get some meaningful snaps. It wouldn't be good to have to throw someone out there with little to no pt because of injury or what not.

Fillip and Roddick (assuming both RS) should be prime candidates to take advantage of the new 4 game rule. Need to get them some experience and who knows, maybe Fillip is more ready to contribute than we expect. He’s certainly there from a physical standpoint, IMO.
That would be perfect with that rule, I totally spaced it. It didn’t really sound like ray would be ready in one of those recent articles but hopefully that changes.

Back