What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL Recruiting

CULifer

In general, how do you feel we are doing with OL recruiting currently? We know who we have on the roster currently, but what are we doing well and what are we not with our current prospects? I'm a dude who holds firmly to the philosophy that a defense wins championships, and that's a beautiful thing. But it can't without an OL that controls the tempo of the game and the line of scrimmage on the other side of the ball. I know this is basic and well understood by almost everyone on the board, but curious what those close to the program are seeing.

Last edited:
Someone will prob list all the OL players and stars etc.

My general feeling from the board I get is that we are offering lots of good prospects and we seem to be generating interest.

I long for the days of the 2001 team...we’re nowhere near that right now.

The 2017 class was a really solid OL class (would have been amazing had they been able to hold on to Xavier Newman). Last year's class really only has Frank Fillip and Josh Jynes. Fillip has a chance to push for the two deep at Tackle, IMO, and Jynes is a mediocre prospect. Walker Culver was committed but bailed for VaTech in the 11th hour. Holding onto him would have made a huge difference. I'd say the last few classes have been the baseline for OL recruiting going forward, with improvement needed if they are going to compete for the conference.

In general, how do you feel we are doing with OL recruiting currently? We know who we have on the roster currently, but what are we doing well and what are we not with our current prospects? I'm a dude who holds firmly to the philosophy that a defwnse wins championships. But it can't without an OL that controls the tempo of the game and the line of scrimmage on the other side of the ball. I know this is basic and well understood by almost everyone on the board, but curious what those close to the program are seeing.
I loved the 2017 class.

I wasn't as excited about the 2018 class, but adding Ray really elevated it and Kutsch could end up being a very important addition. I think that Roddick was a very high level gray shirt from 2017 who ends up being 2018, too. There were years he wouldn't have been a GS at CU and would have been the highest rated OL we signed.

For 2019, it's really early. Johnson is a very solid commit at OG. But there's a long way to go still. I think we're taking 3 OLs this year, maybe 4. Only graduating 1 senior, but have 4 juniors and coaches generally like to be a year ahead of things to balance out classes and not have to rely on true freshmen to replace departing seniors. (I think about the 2019 class as preparing for 2020 more than for 2019.)

I think it depends on what position you are talking about on the OL. The interior line seems pretty good going forward. OT is another story until we sign a few quality OT classes.
There's not enough depth at the position and hasn't been for a long time. Really bothers me that we had to move Irwin and have him out of position at OT for years when he was an all-conference level guard because we had no one at OT. And then, despite that happening, built no depth behind him.

These next 2 years could have Haigler and Moretti as legit starters at OT and there's a window of opportunity to build that depth right now.

There's not enough depth at the position and hasn't been for a long time. Really bothers me that we had to move Irwin and have him out of position at OT for years when he was an all-conference level guard because we had no one at OT. And then, despite that happening, built no depth behind him.

These next 2 years could have Haigler and Moretti as legit starters at OT and there's a window of opportunity to build that depth right now.

Yep. It also depends on guys like Polley and Ray. It is nice to say a player can play OT, but it does not really help much if you cannot reasonably pencil them in at either tackle position.

So with OT, are big guys who can move and have good footwork at a premium, generally? Why is quality for the exterior of the OL seemingly harder to get?

So with OT, are big guys who can move and have good footwork at a premium, generally? Why is quality for the exterior of the OL seemingly harder to get?
There are simply fewer humans who are 6'5" or taller with wide frames, long arms and good agility.

There are simply fewer humans who are 6'5" or taller with wide frames, long arms and good agility.
Would love to know if that is what they saw in Solder when they moved him from TE to tackle. Seemed like he was a bit on the smaller side at the time for the switch.
Brilliant move.

OT requires the taller guys as you state. They also have to have lateral movement, they have to be able to get out and block on the edge.

OT requires the taller guys as you state. They also have to have lateral movement, they have to be able to get out and block on the edge.
They need to have a great bend to be able to hold that speed rusher. Great hands with power and superior footwork. Nasty that eats people up.

Yep. It also depends on guys like Polley and Ray. It is nice to say a player can play OT, but it does not really help much if you cannot reasonably pencil them in at either tackle position.
Yeah, giving Ray a red-shirt year to completely heal and Polley time to gain weight back and some, would be ideal. You have throw Filip in there as well and 2019 o-line might be the best in a very, very long time, in regards to pure talent. However, I have a feeling a couple of these guys may have to play in 2018, just for the pure fact the depth is very bad.

Yeah, giving Ray a red-shirt year to completely heal and Polley time to gain weight back and some, would be ideal. You have throw Filip in there as well and 2019 o-line might be the best in a very, very long time, in regards to pure talent. However, I have a feeling a couple of these guys may have to play in 2018, just for the pure fact the depth is very bad.
Right now Polley is last on the depth chart, only ahead of injured players.

I'm with you on this. I don't think that Ray has the length to play tackle. Polley might be long enough but has to get some strength and weight back. I see Ray taking over for Lynott in a couple years.

And that’s a fact jack.
AmAH.gif

A grad transfer would only be a partial band aid.
As would adding a JUCO who could be eligible now instead of waiting until January.

Or snagging someone another program is gray shirting and bringing him into our freshman class by offering for August.

Or finding a regular transfer who would have to sit out 2018 but would give our DL better competition in practice to help develop them this year.

Partial band aid can be better than no band aid.

As would adding a JUCO who could be eligible now instead of waiting until January.

Or snagging someone another program is gray shirting and bringing him into our freshman class by offering for August.

Or finding a regular transfer who would have to sit out 2018 but would give our DL better competition in practice to help develop them this year.

Partial band aid can be better than no band aid.

The latter three options sound better.

The coaches really have bungled class balance in a major way here and do not seem to be addressing it.

The latter three options sound better.

The coaches really have bungled class balance in a major way here and do not seem to be addressing it.
This may be the case, but every reasonable attempt to help the OL can't just be ruled out or downplayed because of poor recruiting in previous classes. A grad transfer or two absolutely needs to be considered for the OL for 2018.

This may be the case, but every reasonable attempt to help the OL can't just be ruled out or downplayed because of poor recruiting in previous classes. A grad transfer or two absolutely needs to be considered for the OL for 2018.

They tried and failed on that front.

A grad transfer would only be a partial band aid.
Sometimes you need a bandaid to heal. They only need to be as good or better than MiddleMiss or a non playing Polley. A grad transfers commit is not binding until they step on campus right. Let’s go steal one or two.

As the young guys gain experience and some redshirts step up I think we are okay in the future. It’s the now that needs a bit of help.

Back