What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL Recruiting

In general, how do you feel we are doing with OL recruiting currently? We know who we have on the roster currently, but what are we doing well and what are we not with our current prospects? I'm a dude who holds firmly to the philosophy that a defense wins championships, and that's a beautiful thing. But it can't without an OL that controls the tempo of the game and the line of scrimmage on the other side of the ball. I know this is basic and well understood by almost everyone on the board, but curious what those close to the program are seeing.

Currently, I think we are inconsistent on O-Line recruiting. The last two years have been significantly better then the two years before that but hindsight is easy when nearly a third of the 3-4 years ago classes are gone due to injury and we never saw their on field potential. The current recruiting cycle is too early to tell but it would be nice to see two bookend tackles with talent on this cycle for the future.

When 3 of the members of the most recent 2 recruiting cycles are in a position to win a starting job that tells you quality is improving but also that there were serious holes in the mid-upper classes in the previous recruiting cycles.

Senior class: 0 Pac-12 players, 1 solid backup (Kaiser)
Junior class: 2 Pac-12 players (Lynott, Haigler), 2 solid backups (Tonz, Shutack)
Sophomore class: 0 Pac-12 players, 1 solid backup (Vaughn), 1 "diamond in the rough" candidate (Kutsch)
RS Freshman class: 3 Pac-12 talents (Moretti, Sherman, Pursell), 1 solid backup (Lytle), 2 under development (Paige, Polley)
Freshman class: 2 Pac-12 talents (Filip, Ray), 2 solid backups (Jynes, Roddick).
Incoming class: 0 Pac-12 talents, 1 solid backup (Johnson).

Of course any of the "backups" could develop into Pac-12 players over time and the ones that look like Pac-12 talents could not develop as planned.

There are still too many "ifs" to say that the O-line will be a good one, we are relying on two major recoveries from injuries, and the hope that some are ready to take that next step without experience; and with a lack of depth there shouldn't be hope that we can weather through regression or injury however it is better than it was last year and sets up for next year to be better (providing of course that the OL injury epidemic ceases).

Its not just recruiting-its coaching. I don't think Adams has done as good a job coaching these kids up when they get here (some of this is on Lindgren getting away from some of the tempo that was so good for us in 2016 last year), and he got a promotion to co-OC that wasn't necessary and was undeserved. Still intrigued with the idea of Chivarini calling plays-more Texas Tech style tempo would be good for this offense.

Its not just recruiting-its coaching. I don't think Adams has done as good a job coaching these kids up when they get here (some of this is on Lindgren getting away from some of the tempo that was so good for us in 2016 last year), and he got a promotion to co-OC that wasn't necessary and was undeserved. Still intrigued with the idea of Chivarini calling plays-more Texas Tech style tempo would be good for this offense.
I believe Lindgren was the OC from day 1 under MacIntyre and got demoted to Co-OC. Going with a TT style is a major overhaul of the offense. You can throw in a few plays but if you go with that offense you have to really commit to it. I also am not sure that Chiavarini is an expert in that offense - he was not there that long.

I believe Lindgren was the OC from day 1 under MacIntyre and got demoted to Co-OC. Going with a TT style is a major overhaul of the offense. You can throw in a few plays but if you go with that offense you have to really commit to it. I also am not sure that Chiavarini is an expert in that offense - he was not there that long.

I'm not saying let's totally gut what we do and throw it 50 times a game like Wazzu does........I felt like we had something in the 2016 with the way we used tempo and totally set that aside last year. Again, I dont't think we need a Co-OC set up......especially because we weren't in jeopardy of losing any assistants to better opportunities on that side of the ball (I believe that Lindgren's departure was somewhat mutual, and I thought I read somewhere that Jonathan Smith would continue to call plays for OSU......which would make this a demotion for him). Two, if MM is insistent on it, Roper (who has a ton of Power 5 OC experience) made a ton more sense than Adams. Three, the offensive line play wasn't good last year, more so against the pass than the run, but still.

This will not be a Wazzu or TTech offense. 65/35ish, not 90/10. Speed spread, tight slot, more edge, more RB flares, bubble, tunnel. Think Oregon, Auburn, etc.

I will hereby strongly disagree with that assertion.
tenor.gif

Throw a few more buzz-words in there and you'll regain some of your credibility.
You are the Dan Hawkins of CU fandom. I love your pseudo faux vernacular. Hawg, bring the funk and be the arrow.
I’m not a fan. Established long ago. Go to practice. You will hear these words.

Yeah, not correct. Maybe Auburn for edge and tempo. TCU for scheme. It ain’t Wazzu.

Why are all you num nuts so anti-Mike Leach / Texas Tech / WSU? Is he a bit crazy, yes, but he had an 84-43 record at TT, and his last 3 seasons at Washington State were 9, 8, and 9 wins!!! Does his offense put pressure on his own defense, yeah, but I would be just fine with the exciting ride from the Pirate! Straight up, what would everyone vote for as coach, Leach or Mac?

Why are all you num nuts so anti-Mike Leach / Texas Tech / WSU? Is he a bit crazy, yes, but he had an 84-43 record at TT, and his last 3 seasons at Washington State were 9, 8, and 9 wins!!! Does his offense put pressure on his own defense, yeah, but I would be just fine with the exciting ride from the Pirate! Straight up, what would everyone vote for as coach, Leach or Mac?

We are not getting Leach's offense or his playcalling. We are getting a derivative of his offense.

Good discussion, numb nuts.

I felt like we had something in the 2016 with the way we used tempo and totally set that aside last year.
I thought the tempo in the first 2.5 games was amazing until Sefo got hurt in the big house. After that we didn’t seem as consistent and committed to tempo...tho we were good enough to win 10 games!

The tempo against CSU in 2016 had the goats gassed after one quarter.

If we can duplicate that, we will win a lot of games. The issue is that tempo only works when you are moving the chains. Go three and out in 45 seconds and you will soon find that tempo is not your friend after all.

If we can duplicate that, we will win a lot of games. The issue is that tempo only works when you are moving the chains. Go three and out in 45 seconds and you will soon find that tempo is not your friend after all.

I agree completely......you obviously pick your spots with tempo unless your name is Chip Kelly, but I felt we got away from it altogether and haven't gone back to it.

Having a phenomenal defense tends to help as well.

Positive first down yards and first first-down are essential. I expect Chiv will have a whole sheet of first down plays, all dependent on tempo situation.

Saw them practicing throwing ball to umpire after first and assuming position where previous play ended (less time to re-align).

Back