What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL Recruiting

Our OL/DL situation is sort of the opposite of our WR/DB situation. For the WR/DB's, iron sharpens iron. They get each other prepared to play at the highest of levels. For our OL/DL, I don't even think the coaches knew how bad both were going to be because they were equally bad last year (almost). The OL appeared serviceable because they were able to get the best of a terrible DL - it's just nobody knew that both were that bad.

Last edited:
I don’t trust our coaches when it comes to o line. Last year Adams and MikeMac thought we’d have one of our best o lines ever and we ended up with something far from it. I get very concerned when the coaches misjudge so greatly.

Nonetheless, I remain hopeful for the future as I do think there is some young talent in the program.

That would be perfect with that rule, I totally spaced it. It didn’t really sound like ray would be ready in one of those recent articles but hopefully that changes.
Maybe we see Ray at the end of the season with his four game cushion protecting his redshirt year. Same with Roddick. Would be a big boost to give the OL some rest as the team plays itself into bowl position with some higher quality reserves.

Moretti, Sherman, pursell, lynott and haigler as the starting 5. Kaiser, tonz, kutsch as your 3 backups. That doesn’t seem that bad to me atleast. I would hate to see those 3 backups in starting roles but I am fine with seeing them in spots when injuries pop up. I am just worried about the starting 5 working together. It can’t get much worse than last year but Throwing moretti, Sherman and pursell our there all at once like that could be a little rough. Hopefully Sherman and pursell gained some much needed chemistry last season during practice.

Then we have two other backups in Paige and lytle who we aren’t expecting much from although I do think Paige is underrated. He might be able to fill some of those depth questions and I am very interested to see his progress in fall camp.

Can fillip and roddick step up to the plate this year?
Chemistry and experiencr are key for OL play. I wonder how many snaps those 5 have played together. Some individual talent, but they need a ton of reps, a dedicated OL coach, one GA and an analyst to gel. Fast.

Last edited:
Chemistry and experiencr are key for OL play. I wonder how many snaps those 5 have played together. Some individual talent, but they need a ton of reps, a dedicated OL coach, one GA and an analyst to gel. Fast.

Well, God Bless you hawg.

All we really need are a couple more analysts, right? They could probably do some deep-dive analysis and point out that until our recruiting picks up and our talent level increases then our OL play will suck.

Just out of curiosity what do you think the coaches & GAs are doing when they study film or research & review an opponents alignments, formations, strategies, tendencies and personnel. What do you call that activity?

Well, God Bless you hawg.

All we really need are a couple more analysts, right? They could probably do some deep-dive analysis and point out that until our recruiting picks up and our talent level increases then our OL play will suck.

Just out of curiosity what do you think the coaches & GAs are doing when they study film or research & review an opponents alignments, formations, strategies, tendencies and personnel. What do you call that activity?
I call that activity necessary, but insufficient, in today’s game of higher end analytics.

Adams is under qualified, distracted and has too much on his plate to handle co-OC, recruiting, player development and unit cohesion for five positions.

Do it the right way is all I’m saying, especially since this unit needs deep and undivided attention.

I call that activity necessary, but insufficient, in today’s game of higher end analytics.

Adams is under qualified, distracted and has too much on his plate to handle co-OC, recruiting, player development and unit cohesion for five positions.

Do it the right way is all I’m saying, especially since this unit needs deep and undivided attention.

I agree with your view of Adams, his task list, and the inevitability that some aspects of his duties will suffer. I also agree with your 3rd statement.

Where we differ is the view that a pool of high-end analysts/consultants exist and can be hired in for short-term engagements to help through some hard times. These deep "wells of knowledge" or "silos of information" are in general parlance referred to as Coaches. These "coaches" generally start out as GA's and progress through the ranks, learning as they go, until they've acquired valuable analytical skills. If a coach is any good he most likely has a job already and is not available.

If your talking about bringing in an old retired coach. Well, there are reasons why the old guy retired. Is Parcells available?
Is there an educational program that churns these analysts out? I'm pretty sure no such pool of analysts exists.

We'll have to roll with what RG and MM have hired. Adams will need help from MM himself and ... Dare I say it? Gary Bernardi.

Adams has added a ton of size with the three 2019 commits. Combine them with Moretti, Sherman, Jynes, (and i guess Polley if he doesn't leave) and Ray, this Oline has a ton of potential in the coming years. That is some serious size and talent that hasn't been here for a decade. I'm a believer that MacIntyre just needs more time to get this sleeping football giant fully awake.

I'm a believer that MacIntyre just needs more time to get this sleeping football giant fully awake.
GivingCommonGoose-size_restricted.gif

I agree with your view of Adams, his task list, and the inevitability that some aspects of his duties will suffer. I also agree with your 3rd statement.

Where we differ is the view that a pool of high-end analysts/consultants exist and can be hired in for short-term engagements to help through some hard times. These deep "wells of knowledge" or "silos of information" are in general parlance referred to as Coaches. These "coaches" generally start out as GA's and progress through the ranks, learning as they go, until they've acquired valuable analytical skills. If a coach is any good he most likely has a job already and is not available.

If your talking about bringing in an old retired coach. Well, there are reasons why the old guy retired. Is Parcells available?
Is there an educational program that churns these analysts out? I'm pretty sure no such pool of analysts exists.

We'll have to roll with what RG and MM have hired. Adams will need help from MM himself and ... Dare I say it? Gary Bernardi.
Yes, I thought about moving Bernardi over there. I saw several periods this Spring where he was “free” when the TEs went with the WRs.

I’d take Graham and/or Freeze as analysts.

Back