What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games 11/7-11/11

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
Coming down to the end of the regular season with a lot of teams still holding out hope of getting to a bowl. Many others already know they will be home for Christmas because their seasons will be done in a couple of weeks. Time to polish those resumes because coach firing season is going to be here soon.

Tuesday has some MAC games for those with nothing better to do than turn on the TV.

Central Michigan (5-4) is trying to get bowl eligible at Western Michigan (3-6.) Ohio (6-3) already is bowl eligible going to Buffalo (3-6) to finish any last faint hopes the Bulls may have had.

Wednesday Bowling Green (5-4) is looking for win 6 at Kent State (1-8) who has shown they can lose to good teams and bad.

Akron (2-7) finally got a league win barely slipping by Kent State last week. They aren’t playing the Hurricanes but Miami OH (7-2) is more than good enough to blow them out.

Thursday yet another team trying to reach the magic six wins to go to a bowl has Louisiana (5-4) hosting Southern Miss (2-7) who won’t be missed in a few weeks when their season ends.

Virginia (2-7)spent much of the season as a laughing stock before finally getting it together, winning two in a row before a close loss at Miami and getting soundly beaten by Georgia Tech. Hope they haven’t gotten their expectations high because (13) Louisville (8-1) has blown out their last two opponents who were better than Virginia and should do it again.

Friday night features what could be a very good game and it isn’t North Texas (3-6) at SMU (7-2.)

UNLV (7-2) is one game off pace for the conference championship game. Visiting Wyoming (6-3) has lost 2 of their last 3, only win against weak Colorado State but want to get back on track after a strong start to the season.

Saturday all signs indicate that the big game of the day is early.

(3) Michigan (9-0) is at (11) Penn State ((8-1.) Penn State wasn’t a Happy Valley for little boys and it may not be a Happy Valley for Michigan facing charges of illegal scouting, stealing signs, and possible computer data theft. The Big 10 office may be secretly pulling for a Penn State win here reducing the chances of a playoff bound team facing all these charges. Considering that the FBI is now investigating who knows if or when Harbaugh may end up suspended.

That isn’t the only early game of note.

(8) Alabama (8-1) has pulled itself back into position to potentially get back to the playoff. A win at Kentucky (6-3,) losers of 3 of their last 4 in a tough schedule is needed.

Georgia Tech (5-4) is at Clemson (5-4) with both teams looking for bowl eligibility after Clemson handed ranked Notre Dame a loss last week.

Mixed in with the good games we have the garbage game of the week. Vanderbilt (2-8) at South Carolina (3-6.) Vandy has lost 8 in a row after winning their first 2, one of which was a BCS level team. South Carolina has lost 4 of their last 5 after getting their one P5 win of the year. This game is probably the last chance either has to win a game this year.

Not much to pick from mid-day. Blowout of the day could be UConn (1-8) at James Madison (9-0) who despite being undefeated is ineligible to go to a bowl game this season.

(4) Florida State (9-0) hosts Miami (6-3.) This game is often close, this year that is much less likely as the Seminoles continue to push for the playoff.

A little later action picks up.

(17) Tennessee (7-2) is at (12) Missouri (7-2) Missouri last week gave (2) Georgia all they could handle while Tennessee had a virtual bye against UConn.

The PAC12 gets into the action here. (5) Washington (9-0) pushing for a playoff needs to avoid a letdown against visiting (18) Utah (7-2) who has been solid despite a season filled with injury issues.

Early evening gets interesting

(2) Georgia (9-0) is a big favorite over (10) Ole Miss (8-1.) Georgia has had some closer games than expected this year, is an upset in the works?

If you like offense, West Virginia (6-3) is at (9) Oklahoma (7-2.) Sooners have lost two in a row and neither of these teams is noted for their defense.

Blowout of the day in Columbus OH. Michigan State (3-6) had lost six in a row before sliding by Nebraska last week. (1) Ohio State only has two games scoring over 40 this year. That could change this weekend as Michigan State may just phone in the rest of their season.

Billy Napier might want to invest in some asbestos underwear. Florida (5-4) is at (14) LSU (6-3) this week. Fail to win this game and they have to beat either (12) Missouri or (4) Florida State to avoid a losing season and go to a bowl.

In addition to Michigan State getting rolled by the Buckeyes there are other schools we enjoy watching lose.

Baylor (3-6) isn’t sniffing a bowl game this year, though knowing their history of felonies like rape, murder, and drug dealing they may turn to sniffing lines after another road loss to (23)Kansas State (6-3.)

Nebraska (5-4) fans are hoping beyond hope that they can win one more to get to a bowl and escape their Russian like scenery and winter for a few days. Maryland (5-4) has lost 4 in a row but two of those to highly ranked teams. Look for them to get back on track and further crush the souls of the Nebraska brainless, oops excuse me faithful. This is the easiest one the corn have left so lose here and watch another glorious meltdown as they claim moral victories again.

PAC 12 finishes the day’s big games with (20) USC (7-3) at (6) Oregon (8-1.) Oregon still has a path to the playoff. USC losers of 3 of their last 4 is on a path to another season of disappointment. Some rumors out of Los Angeles that Caleb Williams is considering shutting down his season and focusing on the draft. USC this week fired Defensive Coordinator Alex Grinch.

Other PAC12 games include (19) UCLA (6-3) hosting Arizona State (2-7) and (16) Oregon State bringing in Stanford (3-6.)

Closer to home

San Diego State (3-6) is at Colorado State (3-6) as both teams play out their schedules. Aztecs were expecting a better season, Rams are used to being this bad.

(25) Air Force (8-1) still leading the Mountain West goes to Hawaii (3-7.)

Northern Colorado (0-9) has what may be their last slight chance at a win this year at Northern Arizona (3-6.)

Last week of the regular season for local small colleges and not much suspense left either.

Colorado Mines (10-0, 8-0) should be able rest many of their key players and still win easily at Fort Lewis (0-10, 0-8.) Baring the absolute shock of what would be the seasons biggest upset at any level Mines will be a #1 seed in the D2 playoffs.

Western Colorado (9-1, 7-1) is also almost a sure lock for the playoff and an easy win this week at Adams State (3-7, 2-6.)

CSU Pueblo (7-3, 6-2) is probably on the outside looking in. They host Black Hills State (6-4, 5-3) in the only game on the schedule this week that looks competitive.

Colorado Mesa (5-5, 4-4) finishes with an easy road game at New Mexico Highlands (2-8, 1-7.)

Holy crap Mtn.

You lost me at all those teams going bowling with one more win...

JK, great work Mtn.

Don't think Northern Colorado is getting a win this season. Hopefully they show signs of improvement next season.

As for the Big 12:

TT @ KU: KU should beat TT and that would leave TT with having to beat UCF then beat Texas in Austin to get to 6-6. TT is my most overrated B12 team this season after being picked #4 at media days.

Agree with Mtn that BU will be sniffing lines after they lose at KSU.

OSU @ UCF: I'm thinking potential trap game since UCF, despite its 1-5 B12 record, has been competitive in Big 12 play this season and OSU is coming off a Super Bowl like win over OU in the Bedlam finale.

I believe OU pulls it together and beats WVU at home. Do that and win at BYU before hosting TCU, OU has a good shot at a double digit win. Much better than last season but we are going to see how OU does in the SEC next season.

UC @ UH: UC missed out on getting their first B12 win against UCF but why not do it against another newcomer in UH?

UT @ TCU: I would love to see TCU wreck UT's season and that would make me feel a little bit better about CU's season.

ISU @ BYU: This is a must win game for BYU if they want to go bowling since they host OU before ending the season at OSU. The same could be said for ISU with the grand final for UT in Ames before playing KSU in their rivalry game.

I'm slowly starting to break down the Big 12 for next season. Still feels strange but it's time to face the reality that the PAC party is about to end.

on the scouting big 12 scouting angle:

I agree @UCF could be a trap game for the Pokes. tho, Ollie Gordon is a stud and I remember Allen Bowman as a fr at Tech.
he was pretty good. lung punctured twice. tough. Malzahn is cagey mofo. Still, after OSU got blown out by South Alabama in Stillwater.....wtf? Gundy is good....when he lost a bunch of dudes to the portal and still winning. respect.

TT-=TT 5-8 wins. no matter who is coaching. rawr. fire that guy, hire the next guy.

UT rolls TCU....Frogs are no good, another "road" game just like in the old SWC for the Horns....Sonny Dykes was always crap to me but he did make the champ game last year. Dykes 1: Mick 0. but I still think he sucks.

ISU: unlike some others posting.....after a couple years struggling....i think Matt Campbell has put some good pieces together like he did with Purdy, Breece Hall, the big WR, and tough TE's he used in big package. they couldn't take Kansas last week but Clones are gonna be a tough out for a couple years with sturdy OL play and D. QB Rocco Brecht is pretty good, decent physical RB and WR.

KU/KSU.....two good coaches there. love leipold's blocking schemes.....so old school. 3-3-5 dude DC's have no idea what to do.

What is Eastern Michigan, chopped liver? The Mighty Hurons (okay the Mediocre Eagles :cautious:) go into the unfriendly confines of the Glass Bowl to take on the Rockets of the U of Toledo on Wednesday MACtion. It usually turns into quite a grudge match. It certainly deserves at least a mention among the other MAC games you posted. :(

What is Eastern Michigan, chopped liver? The Mighty Hurons (okay the Mediocre Eagles :cautious:) go into the unfriendly confines of the Glass Bowl to take on the Rockets of the U of Toledo on Wednesday MACtion. It usually turns into quite a grudge match. It certainly deserves at least a mention among the other MAC games you posted. :(
:ROFLMAO:
I have mentioned Eastern Michigan in other weeks. A team that has lost 4 of it's last 6 and has only beaten teams that barely have a pulse in my view isn't an interesting match with a team that has lost one game all year. The oddsmakers don't give them much of a chance either.

If Toledo were actually winning by big margins I might have considered it for the blowout of the week.

Quite a grudge match. A thrilling 35-3 game, at half. Mediocre would be a big step up.

there were 3 games Tuesday evening, 3 on Wednesday and there are 2 tonight.
I am going to be very happy if we regularly get televised college games, 4 or 5 days of the week.

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Thursday, November 9, 2023

Nice surprise tonight. UVA-Louisville has been heck of a fun game.

Someone explain to me why that hit was not subject to a targeting review?
That was my thought.

They don't call targeting though when a runner lowers his head going through a hole in proximity to the line of scrimmage which is what happened on this play.

The defender was coming in at a normal angle to make contact with the chest and the RB dropped his head crating the contact.

Not a fan of the rule but it would be really hard to defend the inside run if all the RB had to do is lower his head a few times and half the defense is out of the game.

Nice surprise tonight. UVA-Louisville has been heck of a fun game.
Early season UVA was just a very bad football team. They still only have 2 wins on the season including on FCS team.

Strange though their one win is against a ranked team that was undefeated at the time and they have played some of the better teams on their schedule close like Miami (FL) losing by 3 and 5 of their losses being by one score or less.

That was my thought.

They don't call targeting though when a runner lowers his head going through a hole in proximity to the line of scrimmage which is what happened on this play.

The defender was coming in at a normal angle to make contact with the chest and the RB dropped his head crating the contact.

Not a fan of the rule but it would be really hard to defend the inside run if all the RB had to do is lower his head a few times and half the defense is out of the game.
Fair enough, but I’ve seen that line blurred in some games.

Fair enough, but I’ve seen that line blurred in some games.
That's one of the big complaints about the targeting rule. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in how the rule is called from league to league and even game to game.

This win keeps Louisville's slim playoff hopes alive but of the 11 undefeated or 1-loss P5 teams remaining, Louisville would need the most help to get into the CFP. I don't see them getting in over any other undefeated/1-loss P5 team.

This win keeps Louisville's slim playoff hopes alive but of the 11 undefeated or 1-loss P5 teams remaining, Louisville would need the most help to get into the CFP. I don't see them getting in over any other undefeated/1-loss P5 team.
Louisville only has one win over a currently ranked team, (20) Notre Dame. They have a number of wins against average type or less teams by less than impressive margins (GT 39-35, Indiana 21-14, NC State 13-10, UVA 31-24.)

A lot would have to happen to get them in to the playoff.

Louisville only has one win over a currently ranked team, (20) Notre Dame. They have a number of wins against average type or less teams by less than impressive margins (GT 39-35, Indiana 21-14, NC State 13-10, UVA 31-24.)

A lot would have to happen to get them in to the playoff.
Why is Penn State ranked above them?

Why is Penn State ranked above them?
Never said it was completely logical or even close. Every year in the rankings we see schools from the B1G and the SEC ranked higher than their on field results would justify just because they are in those conferences.

Isn't any different that the years we see the B1G get 9 schools in the NCAA tourney only to have them all out by the sweet 16.

I have no doubt that when we go to the 12 team football playoff that we will see regular incidents of those last slots 9-12 going to less qualified teams based on their conference affiliation.

NU-Terps a 0-0 snoozer so far.....Ruhle's staff are wearing black and pale gold adidas hoodies.....kinda weird. the QB Sims that was terrible against us is playing. It's muted while i do some Saturday stuff, coffee, before the CU kick....so i don't know why the other guy isn't playing. Benched or hurt.

edit: I see now that the NU staff hoodies were Veterans Day themed. didn't look very green though on my laptop...

Last edited:
NU-Terps a 0-0 snoozer so far.....Ruhle's staff are wearing black and pale gold adidas hoodies.....kinda weird. the QB Sims that was terrible against us is playing. It's muted while i do some Saturday stuff, coffee, before the CU kick....so i don't know why the other guy isn't playing. Benched or hurt.
Real "offensive" battle here.

About 3 minutes left in the half and Nebraska has 11 net yards passing and is under 90 total yards for the game. Not to be outdone Maryland has 66. Another one of these dynamic B1G offensive explosions. Nebraska getting ready to play Iowa in a couple weeks.

@hokiehead has to be happy VT is blowing out BC.

Back