What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pick your top candidates for DC!

Choose your favorite of top 4 candidates (according to Rivals)

• Gibbs

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • Pendergast

Votes: 61 54.5%
  • Orlando

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Seto

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
Thought Durkin is going to USCe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does this process work? Does MM do the interviews & hiring, or is somebody from the AD along for the ride?

Do you think when sparkles was hired away, the AD didn't give some direction to what they were looking for?

RG will at least be listening and involved. Maybe he doesn't make the choice. And I'm sure he will give HCMM the chance to make the choice. But I doubt it's made by mac alone.

ADs don't participate in interviewing assistant coaches typically. It's the HC's hire.

Considering Gibbs is in fourth place in the poll, it is safe to assume that the job is his.

Considering Gibbs is in fourth place in the poll, it is safe to assume that the job is his.
I think Adam was implying that Gibbs is the most likely since he listed Gibbs first so that makes 2 reasons it could be him. Still a good choice, and a huge step up from Baer. His recent track record turning around Houston's defense, and particularly the turnovers are really impressive.

Do you think each of the 4 are dynamic and hands on?

also, which one is best at fundamentals. We need some help with tackling. I'd like someone who can get in there and make some positive change. Who is best for that?

I think Adam was implying that Gibbs is the most likely since he listed Gibbs first so that makes 2 reasons it could be him. Still a good choice, and a huge step up from Baer. His recent track record turning around Houston's defense, and particularly the turnovers are really impressive.

Do you think when sparkles was hired away, the AD didn't give some direction to what they were looking for?

RG will at least be listening and involved. Maybe he doesn't make the choice. And I'm sure he will give HCMM the chance to make the choice. But I doubt it's made by mac alone.

Sparkles was a HC. How is this relevant?

Why do you care so much if RG is involved. Would you have wanted RG not to force a change in DC, of that is what happened? We have a great AD. I'd trust his involvement in this.

Sparkles was a HC. How is this relevant?

Usually paths have crossed when these hires occur.

I read Seto's bio and the only commonality I see is he is a devout Christian. His wife is from Seattle though.

George did not force anything. MacIntyre is his HC and he is available for support.
We all like George and he has some experience inside a football program, but he isn't doing the hiring and firing here.

From phone

Why do you care so much if RG is involved. Would you have wanted RG not to force a change in DC, of that is what happened? We have a great AD. I'd trust his involvement in this.

Your posts suggested (with no facts to back) that this seemed to be a RG move and that he would have a big hand in the hire. To me, that is almost always very dangerous and it also discredits HCMM.

Did HCMM have to be forced to make a change? I don't think so. See his facial expressions regarding Defensive breakdowns as the season wore on.

RG is certainly involved in supporting HCMM, maybe consulting with him, and certainly backing him financially etc. But if RG is dictating what is happening, that is not good.

Don't get me wrong, I think all four are a significant upgrade. Just found it funny that the "most likely" guy is the one people are least fired up about (based on poll results).

Don't get me wrong, I think all four are a significant upgrade. Just found it funny that the "most likely" guy is the one people are least fired up about (based on poll results).
I suspect it has something to do with once bitten twice shy on going back to the glory years for coaches.

From a recent article on the DC without a home this season: Pendergast also believes it's vital to get pressure on the opposing QB. "Whether it's a running quarterback or a passing quarterback, you always try to get them off their spot and give them different looks," he said. "You don't want to be vanilla."

Personally, I struggled to recall who he was. If not for Eddie Murphy, I wouldn't have had a clue, "You got you got - what I need!", so I charity-voted for Gibbs. Then I read up on the others. Any of the four look like a big upgrade to me.

If there's a chance he would stick for any length of time, Pendergast looks to be the one who could have the most immediate impact. Baer leaving helps firm up my faith in MacIntyre, I'm hoping the impending hires further that notion.

Pendegast, Orlando both seem great. Gibbs and Seto seem good too. So who will it be??

I wouldnt complain about any of them. Getting a new DC to me is the best Christmas present for this Buff fan!

I went with Pendergast but would be ok with Orlando. Make it happen Mac!

I love Our AD but it's never good when the AD meddles into who the assistant coaching situation. Never!
I don't think it will be 'meddling' as much as meeting with Mac and going over who Mac wants, discussing fits with Macs plan, and then RG backing up Macs choices with the $$$.

I'm not sure the name David Gibbs will ever be as relevant to this board as it is on this date, so I'm just going to drop this off here.

davidgibbs.jpg

I don't love the idea of David Gibbs-Seems like hes done a good job at Houston, but of the six names Adam threw out, he excites me the least. Forget DJ Durkin-I don't think we're on his radar....Heard he may work for Dad Pants if he goes to Michigan, and also heard his name in connection with the A&M DC gig. English I don't see here-He got an HC gig at Eastern Michigan, and they fired him after he got recorded blasting their administration. I don't think he's as big a pipe dream as some think, but I don't think he fits us. I watched that Seahawk tackling video last night, and I was impressed with Seto and it (voted for him). Pendergast is very intriguing-Dude has had solid defenses at Cal and USC, and wasn't he the DC on that Cardinals team that went to the Super Bowl a few years back?

Any one of those guys would be a huge step up from Baer. This is a good situation for us.

DJ Durkin is a guy that I like more every time I think about it.

He's done at Florida after coaching the bowl game on an interim basis.

It also looks like a couple dominos would need to fall in order for him to be available:

1. If Harbaugh takes the Michigan job, it sounds like Durkin is his guy. Durkin coached under Harbaugh at Stanford before becoming DC at Florida.

2. Texas A&M, as the speculation goes, is targeting Durkin to be its defensive coordinator.

So it looks like for Durkin to become DC at CU that we'd need Harbaugh to decide to stay in the NFL and Texas A&M to pull the trigger on someone else rather than waiting.

I find myself hoping that CU backs into Durkin as a #1 option. After that, I probably like Pendergast #2 and I vacillate between Gibbs and Seto as my #3.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/florida_defensive_coordinator.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...for-vacant-texas-am-defensive-coordinator-job

Durkin would certainly be an abrupt departure from Kent Baer. System and recruiting wise.

Back