What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Possible Replacements for Embree

What gives me some flicker of hope that the administration might be willing to ante up for a coach is the "alleged" flirtation with Les Miles last year. The powers that be had to know he was going to command a kings ransom to come to CU, so IF those discussions actually took place it tells me they are at least willing to entertain paying big money for a coach.

What gives me some flicker of hope that the administration might be willing to ante up for a coach is the "alleged" flirtation with Les Miles last year. The powers that be had to know he was going to command a kings ransom to come to CU, so IF those discussions actually took place it tells me they are at least willing to entertain paying big money for a coach.
They were also in serious talks with the Easter Bunny.

Has Bo Pelini been considered as a possible candidate to replace Embree? A few crazy Husker fans seem to want a coaching change at Nebraska.

The guy at CSU Pueblo

John Wristen - guy has ties to CU back to Barnett days. No way this crowd wants him.
Plus why we're even going through this charade when EVERYONE knows the admin won't be canning Embree, is beyond me.
As Garth Elgar would say...

[video=youtube;1vaQ-Y6kLOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaQ-Y6kLOM[/video]

Last edited:
i vote no on Petrino. and hell no on any more nostalgia hires. i'd also like to repeat my usual line that CU's faculty do not sit around plotting against the football program. and these days most of them aren't here more than a couple-three years. most of them don't care. and by don't care....i mean they are inert. just like at most schools. if you think profs at Florida or Texas are any different....like they are at the games, giving wink wink grades to players....you are sadly living a paranoid way. i had two very good buddies growing up with dads were profs at Oklahoma, they had mild contempt for football and in some cases open criticism of the probations...not like they were burning bridges or buying season tix. our faculty is like every other faculty.

we aren't very good. in fact, we are awful. but, looking for the conspiracy theory answer is like blaming global capitalism for the stain in yer undies.
'

Last edited:
Embree isn't getting fired this year. If he goes 0-12 there may be a 1% chance, otherwise 0%. He is going to get at least 3 years.

That said you can forget about Petrino. The womens rights bunch in Boulder would blow up if he ever got close to the job, the administration isn't going to subject themselves to that. He would also be a disaster as a coach leaving us at the first opportunity to deal with the probation.

Smart would be good but he isn't coming either. He knows he can get an SEC program with administrative support and no concern for the rules as long as he wins.

What we need to do is find that long time top assistant who is reaching the age where he is no longer the hot, young prospect and is looking for a place to make his long term mark. We then need to support him by shelling out the bucks the get the right coordinators and give him some time to make the whole thing work.

If and when Embree is replaced the new coach is going to find a higher level of talent than Embree inherited but we will still be a long ways from ready to compete. Hawkins not only burned this thing to the ground but he buried the ashes. It is going to take time even with the right guy.

We could've had Mike Leach. :bang::bang::bang: Going to have to sit through this season, maybe we show improvement like last season (PLEASE).

Leach never would have lasted in Boulder. One misplaced penis reference and the Womyn's Studies Dept. would be at full boil with Dr. phil and MB falling over themselves to cave to political pressure....

I'm wondering (in all seriousness), if this staff was put together on a budget to recruit, get in some talent and then just ride it out until all of our debts are paid and we we get our full share of Pac-12 payout - 2 years??? - and throw down some cash for a real coach. I know everyone says the admin hates football, but maybe they're a little more strategic than they appear. And hopefully behind the scenes, they are working with the state legislature regarding assistant coaching contracts.

Why do we artificially constrain the coaching searches? We need to stop eliminating viable candidates because they might not stay here or because they come from a smaller school. Tunnel vision got us into this mess, let's stop repeating past mistakes.

And Mtn, the odds of a firing after an 0-12 season are significantly higher than 1%.

Hire the best coach available. Period. End of story.

If he comes and builds CU up to a bowl team and decides he wants to leave to go elsewhere - good luck to him.

I was about to pat myself on the back, thinking of Skip Holtz. I thought, "Hey, nobody has mentioned Holtz and he completely rebuilt ECU!". After a quick google search though, it turns out he's making 1.9 mil at USF. Damn!

To get a top tier coach, CU needs to show that it is serious about its program. They have not done so. To me, you want to create a situation where the top guys come to you expressing desire in the job. I don't see that happening. Also, we still seem to be reeling from "the scandal" and what we perceive the perception of our program is. This limits our search for a coach because we eliminate anyone who may have some perceived "character" issues.

I'm wondering (in all seriousness), if this staff was put together on a budget to recruit, get in some talent and then just ride it out until all of our debts are paid and we we get our full share of Pac-12 payout - 2 years??? - and throw down some cash for a real coach. I know everyone says the admin hates football, but maybe they're a little more strategic than they appear. And hopefully behind the scenes, they are working with the state legislature regarding assistant coaching contracts.
I don't think anyone on this board thinks the admin or AD are that bright.

Embree isn't getting fired this year. If he goes 0-12 there may be a 1% chance, otherwise 0%. He is going to get at least 3 years.

That said you can forget about Petrino. The womens rights bunch in Boulder would blow up if he ever got close to the job, the administration isn't going to subject themselves to that. He would also be a disaster as a coach leaving us at the first opportunity to deal with the probation.

Smart would be good but he isn't coming either. He knows he can get an SEC program with administrative support and no concern for the rules as long as he wins.

What we need to do is find that long time top assistant who is reaching the age where he is no longer the hot, young prospect and is looking for a place to make his long term mark. We then need to support him by shelling out the bucks the get the right coordinators and give him some time to make the whole thing work.

If and when Embree is replaced the new coach is going to find a higher level of talent than Embree inherited but we will still be a long ways from ready to compete. Hawkins not only burned this thing to the ground but he buried the ashes. It is going to take time even with the right guy.

You are way, way, way off in saying there's "maybe a 1% chance Embree gets fired if we go 0-12". Do you recognize the magnitude of 0-12? That's something you don't recover from with the same staff. There would be a very decent chance he'd be gone, even with our clown admin.

You are way, way, way off in saying there's "maybe a 1% chance Embree gets fired if we go 0-12". Do you recognize the magnitude of 0-12? That's something you don't recover from with the same staff. There would be a very decent chance he'd be gone, even with our clown admin.

More than decent

I was about to pat myself on the back, thinking of Skip Holtz. I thought, "Hey, nobody has mentioned Holtz and he completely rebuilt ECU!". After a quick google search though, it turns out he's making 1.9 mil at USF. Damn!

Hawkins was 1.3 so a 600k different at that level isn't that big. We need to be in the 2.5M range IMO

The magnitude of 0-12 is almost beyond comprehension - and yet it is starting us in the face if many items don't change quickly.

The next coach should have written in his contract a guarantee of facility upgrades. Similar to what Bz had in his contract. That made them revamp the basketball facilities. It's worked.

Uh, 600k at that level is a pretty big difference.

Absolutely, $600K for us in that range is a big deal. That's pretty close to the raise Kevin Sumlin got from Houston to TAMU ($800K).

Two links I found interesting from USA Today in a research on the numbers of what coaches are paid. We pay similarly to schools outside of traditional AQ powers for the HC. Those numbers are a bit skewed by the rest of the staff, though with new Pacific 12 hires, our rank in (over)paying the total staff has fallen.

Salaries for 2011 --

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...ege-football-coaches-salaries-rise/51242232/1

Salary changes for some newly hired coaches for 2012 --

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...llege-football-coaches-compenstion/52602734/1

To get the kind of coach we'd really want, we'd need to talk more like $1.75mm -- $2.5mm per year for the HC and another $2mm -- $2.5mm for the staff. Nearly every coach in that pay grade is a definite upgrade.

By the by, in the comments section of these postings, a lot of folks talk about the plight of students and professors compared to these coaches. It seems like those arguments are more well taken in some schools than others.

what about Mark Mangino?? He did do some amazing stuff at KU in a short period - might not look like a picture of health in Boulder, but if he can turn this ship around

Back