What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pregame Thread - CU vs CSU at Mile High

There is an absolute ton of sunshine pumping coming out of Fort Collins for this football team based on articles from Coloradoan, Loveland Herald and the Post. Especially after last night's scrimmage.

I think the CSU faithful are about to learn the hard way, what it feels like to be fed a line of BS from the HC, only to find that there will in fact be plenty of growing pains during the season.
LOL! Can't wait to pummel them and then hear how they almost won it and/or we got lucky.

To be fair, that sort of stuff isn't limited to CSU. It's easy to get excited and minimize all the potential weaknesses of a team until the games start. I've had my fair share of years where I expected CSU to be much better than we ended up being, such as the Pete Thomas era. Super disappointing when that happens, obviously. No one know what you have until you aren't playing yourself and the score counts.

To be fair, that sort of stuff isn't limited to CSU. It's easy to get excited and minimize all the potential weaknesses of a team until the games start. I've had my fair share of years where I expected CSU to be much better than we ended up being, such as the Pete Thomas era. Super disappointing when that happens, obviously. No one know what you have until you aren't playing yourself and the score counts.
you obviously haven't been on the Buffs' 10 year plan of crushing expectations with ruthless efficiency and thoroughness. The biggest sunshine pumper is reduced to predicting an 8 win season here :lol:.

you obviously haven't been on the Buffs' 10 year plan of crushing expectations with ruthless efficiency and thoroughness. The biggest sunshine pumper is reduced to predicting an 8 win season here :lol:.

And there are only a couple that will go that far with the wins. Most are predicting less than 6

Maybe it's just a Ramnation thing, but that's the stuff that gets repeated here. CSU posting stuff like the minimum expectation in football is 9 wins and the minimum for basketball is a Sweet 16. Stuff like they should beat CU in both sports and it would be a huge screw up if they lose (quick - think of excuses based on officiating). And they seemed to believe the pie-in-the-sky facilities stuff parroted for the past 18 months.

Basically, what we see is weird. It's often not based in reality.

We're pretty realistic about CU. Maybe too much of being realists for a fan site. Maybe on the other side too much impatience to return football to what it was from the late 80s through 2001 while acting too much like anyone besides us still thinks of CU as that program.

But the conventional wisdom for this year is:

3-6 wins
CSU is a game that CU should win
CU is steadily improving and 2015 looks like a pretty good team
CU basketball is now a regular tourney team (we expect 20+ wins and an invite every season) poised to make the next step to being a program that is challenging for Pac-12 regular season titles and often advancing to the 2nd weekend of the Dance

To me that's just people being biased and hopeful fans. I really don't think we are only fan base to think like that. You can take the Ramnation chatter at face value, but I don't think many people there would actually assert that we are going to be a good team this year. We very well may win 9 games - I personally predict 6 to 9 - but that is solely because our schedule is atrociously easy. We know that. We very well could start 1-3 and still go to a bowl game. I also really do believe the stadium stuff will happen in some form, probably not exactly what has been talked about before, but I won't mention any more about that in this thread. We think that we have a decent shot at winning in both football and basketball because there isn't this drastic amount of separation there. I don't think that means we should win, but it means winning wouldn't be shocking. I think most people share those feelings, but of course there are outliers (within our fan base and every other fan base). I don't see how CSU fans predicting (hoping) to win a few more games this year is all that different than CU fans doing the same.

I honestly can't wait for this game and for the season to start. I end up disappointed more than I'd like, sometimes overreacting (especially after last year's game), but man it's a great experience.

To me that's just people being biased and hopeful fans. I really don't think we are only fan base to think like that. You can take the Ramnation chatter at face value, but I don't think many people there would actually assert that we are going to be a good team this year. We very well may win 9 games - I personally predict 6 to 9 - but that is solely because our schedule is atrociously easy. We know that. We very well could start 1-3 and still go to a bowl game. I also really do believe the stadium stuff will happen in some form, probably not exactly what has been talked about before, but I won't mention any more about that in this thread. We think that we have a decent shot at winning in both football and basketball because there isn't this drastic amount of separation there. I don't think that means we should win, but it means winning wouldn't be shocking. I think most people share those feelings, but of course there are outliers (within our fan base and every other fan base). I don't see how CSU fans predicting (hoping) to win a few more games this year is all that different than CU fans doing the same.

I honestly can't wait for this game and for the season to start. I end up disappointed more than I'd like, sometimes overreacting (especially after last year's game), but man it's a great experience.

Do you think CSU is better this year than last year?

I have trouble seeing that because you lost the RB who carried you, the OL that made it go (especially that center you had), and the one guy on your defense who was a legit playmaker (reminded me a bit of Joey Porter). Throw in the injuries CSU has at the positions that were already the biggest question marks and I would be very surprised if 2014 isn't a step back from 2013 despite the schedule.

Nothing wrong with homer bias. I think my point this morning is that CU fans are wiser to sunshine pumping coming out of fall camp than CSU fans are. Dan Hawkins and even Embree tended to feed the media (and thus the fans) a huge dose of completely false optimism. The team then tended to fall completely short of expectations.

I think CSU fans are being fed the same thing right now. CSU lost a very significant portion of what made them such a great team last year (O-line, stud RB) along with significant loss of depth at those positions due to injury and attrition. Combine that with the loss of Barrett and the D-line and you can't help but see a significant drop-off, at least initially. CSU is not yet anywhere near the "we don't rebuild, we reload" scenario.

I may be wrong, but the writing on the wall that I am seeing is that your D-line is a bigger weakness than may be realized which is making the o-line look better than it is.

Maybe I'm wrong, and CSU will roll right out of the gate, but I'm betting that will not be the case and the team will see significant growing pains before hitting their stride.

Responding to the two posts above, I don't know what to make of this team. Objectively, I question how we are going to replace the production we had at running back last year. Even if these new RBs are serviceable we need to credit Bibbs for making some plays that our new RBs just won't be able to make. I think we had a solid line, especially towards the end of the year, but I don't think it was quite as good as some of you state. Regardless, that many departures is another issue that I'm unsure how we will deal with. For us to be better this season Grayson has to take the next step. By the end of last season he was pretty decent, but he wasn't a threat to be feared. He will have to be able to do that, at least at times, this year. I don't know if he will be able to do that. These things are all legitimate concerns and could become nightmares.

However, there is a bit of blind optimism that we could be at least as good as the end of last year due to another year of program continuity, the team continuing to gel (if that is even real), HCSparkles learning from his mistakes, Grayson being no worse at the beginning of this year than he was at the end of last year and................... because the bar wasn't set real high to begin with. Our schedule is soft, we don't need to be very good to win 6 games.

I realize that doesn't definitively answer your question. I hope we are as good as last year but it wouldn't surprise me if we aren't.

Responding to the two posts above, I don't know what to make of this team. Objectively, I question how we are going to replace the production we had at running back last year. Even if these new RBs are serviceable we need to credit Bibbs for making some plays that our new RBs just won't be able to make. I think we had a solid line, especially towards the end of the year, but I don't think it was quite as good as some of you state. Regardless, that many departures is another issue that I'm unsure how we will deal with. For us to be better this season Grayson has to take the next step. By the end of last season he was pretty decent, but he wasn't a threat to be feared. He will have to be able to do that, at least at times, this year. I don't know if he will be able to do that. These things are all legitimate concerns and could become nightmares.

However, there is a bit of blind optimism that we could be at least as good as the end of last year due to another year of program continuity, the team continuing to gel (if that is even real), HCSparkles learning from his mistakes, Grayson being no worse at the beginning of this year than he was at the end of last year and................... because the bar wasn't set real high to begin with. Our schedule is soft, we don't need to be very good to win 6 games.

I realize that doesn't definitively answer your question. I hope we are as good as last year but it wouldn't surprise me if we aren't.

Your hope is to as good as last year? Well, if you're as good as last year then you will lose by two touchdowns on 08/29.

Last edited:
No need to be a dick, very reasonable posts

How am I being a dick?? It seems like a reasonable question/assumption. Please let me know which CSU fans I can rib and which ones I need to use kid's gloves with going forward. Thanks.

Your hope is to as good as last year? Well, if you're as good as last year then you will lose by two touchdowns on 08/29.

No need to be a dick, very reasonable posts

How am I being a dick?? It seems like a reasonable question/assumption. Please let me know which CSU fans I can rib and which ones I need to use kid's gloves with going forward. Thanks.

:lol:

Ramfan is a solid poster, but can't fault Hkylw21 for a spot on analysis.

It is a little dickish. Most opposing fans identify themselves as to which kind of treatment they need. [MENTION=10239]ramfan[/MENTION] has been a good sport.

:stupid:

place is turning into a big CU/CSU group hug

**** CSU and **** their sheep ****ing fans

I'm soooooooo tired of the RMS. I HATE that it's our first game of the year, and he have to talk about it for a month.

Spruce, Lindsay, Adkins x2, and DD all get in the endzone on offense.
Buffs add either a defensive or special teams td as well.
Grayson's heisman campaign is over before it gains any ground as well as their RB transfer's campaign.

Victory - 42 to 17.

Ram fans claim to be just a play or two away from winning it for the next 360+ days..

:lol:

Ramfan is a solid poster, but can't fault Hkylw21 for a spot on analysis.

I am in complete agreement that RamFan is a good poster and is welcome around these parts anytime. But if we can't give our opponent's fans a hard time something has gone awry. I would say my comment was more "trash talk lite" due to RamFan being a good sport.

I am in complete agreement that RamFan is a good poster and is welcome around these parts anytime. But if we can't give our opponent's fans a hard time something has gone awry. I would say my comment was more "trash talk lite" due to RamFan being a good sport.

I would say that the response was much more respectful than a reasonable post the other direction would have recieved on sheepnation. But then again for us this is a big game because it is the first one on the schedule and sets up the rest of the year. For them it is the only one on the schedule that matters and makes the year.

As back and forth go that was pretty mild.

This is the correct answer. We now have somebody to blame for everything that goes wrong. Mike Bohn. It's all his fault.

So let me get this straight, we have move on from Fairbanks, From Hawkins and even Embree and we only blame Bohn now?

I'm just saying, I liked ramfan's take and thought it was dickish to jump on him with taunts right away. Let him establish himself a bit.

To be clear, I view last year as the entire season, not the outcome of one game. CU easily worked CSU last year, no arguments about it. The score didn't adequately reflect how we were never really even in the game. I was crushed, not just that we lost but how we looked. I feared the season to be over before it started. I thought myself a psychic when the next week we lost to Tulsa in horrendous fashion, passing for like 100 yards. However, we definitely progressed as the season wore on, something I haven't seen from CSU in a while - for example, we used to get worse under Fairchild. The team that hung with Washington State, regardless of them fumbling us the win, wasn't the same team who CU blew out to start the season. I'm not pulling a Boyle and asking for a do over, but I am thinking if we can be more like that team at the end of the season then we have a shot at being ok.

Also, contrary to the belief of some posters here the CU game isn't every CSU fan's whole season. It's a big game, a chance against a P5 and in-state school, and a school I would call a rival. It's big, I'm excited for it, but it isn't the whole season and doesn't make the year (2009 was not a good year for CSU). What would make the year is getting to a bowl game, and what would really make the year is to win the Mountain division (unlikely). In my mind our games with Boise State (which I'll be going to) and Utah State are just as big and important.

Truthfully, I think it was easier to claim that this game was our whole season back when it really meant something to beat CU. Please don't take that the wrong way, CSU can use every bit of positive publicity that beating any P5 team comes with, but winning this game isn't going to bring a ton of attention, glory, or props to CSU like it did back in the late 90s/early 00s.

Last edited:
I'm just saying, I liked ramfan's take and thought it was dickish to jump on him with taunts right away. Let him establish himself a bit.

You're right.. He hasn't even gotten anyone a sammich and a beer yet...

Now you kids have gone and done it. You made me rep the Ram cause he keeps being good n stuff. Why did you do that?

To be clear, I view last year as the entire season, not the outcome of one game. CU easily worked CSU last year, no arguments about it. The score didn't adequately reflect how we were never really even in the game. I was crushed, not just that we lost but how we looked. I feared the season to be over before it started. I thought myself a psychic when the next week we lost to Tulsa in horrendous fashion, passing for like 100 yards. However, we definitely progressed as the season wore on, something I haven't seen from CSU in a while - for example, we used to get worse under Fairchild. The team that hung with Washington State, regardless of them fumbling us the win, wasn't the same team who CU blew out to start the season. I'm not pulling a Boyle and asking for a do over, but I am thinking if we can be more like that team at the end of the season then we have a shot at being ok.

Also, contrary to the belief of some posters here the CU game isn't every CSU fan's whole season. It's a big game, a chance against a P5 and in-state school, and a school I would call a rival. It's big, I'm excited for it, but it isn't the whole season and doesn't make the year (2009 was not a good year for CSU). What would make the year is getting to a bowl game, and what would really make the year is to win the Mountain division (unlikely). In my mind our games with Boise State (which I'll be going to) and Utah State are just as big and important.

Truthfully, I think it was easier to claim that this game was our whole season back when it really meant something to beat CU. Please don't take that the wrong way, CSU can use every bit of positive publicity that beating any P5 team comes with, but winning this game isn't going to bring a ton of attention, glory, or props to CSU like it did back in the late 90s/early 00s.

Curious statment here. IIRC, CSU actually had a lead in the second half. CSU was alive and loud. There were several Buffs fans audibly pissed at yet another sh***y start to a season. This all changed by the end obviously, but that Hansley kid was a backbreaker and Ramfan had much to cheer about.

CSU plays Bama close (respect to Sparkles maybe), that might have just been moral victory, but should have given hope to Ramfan last year that the program is improving.

Respect for Ramfan and all, but still **** SCEwe.

Back