What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Any chance for another Oline blue-chip recruit, transfer, or JUCO? Are the Buffs looking? Is Gentry even a possibility w/o mission, if he may play soon? Outside of QB, I'm most worried about development/recruitment on the Oline. I like Kap, I'm just not sure of the talent level. Will any of the RS Frosh be ready to step in?

Do you guys think the present roster + recruits have enough talent and depth? I saw some predicted attrition on the Roster thread.

Gentry has never been a real possibility. The coaches are rolling with three current commits.

Plenty of talent in the pipeline and do not be surprised if a true freshman works their way into playing time this season.

A RS or true freshman working their way into playing time is good to hear.

Question...since we are closing in on 25...where does Bethel and Alfano fall into this mix? I believe Bethel is already on scholarship, is Alfano? Do they have to count as part of the 25 or since he is a transfer does that just count toward our 85?

Question...since we are closing in on 25...where does Bethel and Alfano fall into this mix? I believe Bethel is already on scholarship, is Alfano? Do they have to count as part of the 25 or since he is a transfer does that just count toward our 85?
Just the 85. Bethel already on roster. Alfano is expected in January.

Just the 85. Bethel already on roster. Alfano is expected in January.
Another good reason for CU to focus on transfers like Alfano. The scenario we are in is that we are experiencing a positive surge in recruiting, plus some attrition in the roster that makes the 25 limit tighter than the 85 limit.

By avoiding the 25 cap I would argue a high quality transfer is better for us now than a regular prep recruit. That won't always be true but it is right now. I hope we see a couple more.

Another good reason for CU to focus on transfers like Alfano. The scenario we are in is that we are experiencing a positive surge in recruiting, plus some attrition in the roster that makes the 25 limit tighter than the 85 limit.

By avoiding the 25 cap I would argue a high quality transfer is better for us now than a regular prep recruit. That won't always be true but it is right now. I hope we see a couple more.

It could be a strategy if the Buffs have a few spots with places for immediate need at the very end of the signing period. CU would have to suffer some flips. For a better long term and sustained success, still must focus on quality HS Recruits. With the tightened NCAA rules, transfers must sit out a year except for moving home or a very special circumstance. Grad transfers are an exception. The only position where Grad Transfers frequently make a huge difference is QB. 2 of MT's GT's (Onu and Hambright) made substantial contributions, but especially for Hambright imagine how much greater he would have been next year with another year in the system--as compared to the good job he did in the transition year. It is a double-edged sword for the team. Also, for whatever reason, Nationwide the great HS players are playing earlier and earlier, and having them for 3-4 years is always optimal. I can see it for a back-up or rental QB, but like the idea of going with Lewis.

I’m expecting more of the same from last year with heavy doses of grad transfers. Mel and the staff have already done most of the heavy lifting to put together a prep class. Hopefully the majority sign in December and after they can redirect a lot of their energy to the transfer market.

I see a lot of people counting the commit numbers right now and I just don’t think it’s relevant until early signing day happens. Mel has things moving way too fast and he’s shown he can flip higher rated guys really quick like Marvin Ham.

Edit: Put another way, it’s going to be a full prep class, I just don’t see counting the lower guys that are currently committed as relevant.

Last edited:
I’m expecting more of the same from last year with heavy doses of grad transfers. Mel and the staff have already done most of the heavy lifting to put together a prep class. Hopefully the majority sign in December and after they can redirect a lot of their energy to the transfer market.

I see a lot of people counting the commit numbers right now and I just don’t think it’s relevant until early signing day happens. Mel has things moving way too fast and he’s shown he can flip higher rated guys really quick like Marvin Ham.

What do you consider heavy doses of grad transfers? How many did we really have this past season?

What do you consider heavy doses of grad transfers? How many did we really have this past season?

To answer your second question first, they got 4 for the season with Onu, Hambright, Harris, and Jauntavious Johnson. 1 didn’t make it as we know but all 4 were projected to play a lot of snaps. What we *really* ended up having is mostly just Onu and Hambright but that’s irrelevant to the recruiting effort that I was talking about.

I would consider the same amount of 3-4 grad transfers to be a relatively heavy dose.

To answer your second question first, they got 4 for the season with Onu, Hambright, Harris, and Jauntavious Johnson. 1 didn’t make it as we know but all 4 were projected to play a lot of snaps. What we *really* ended up having is mostly just Onu and Hambright but that’s irrelevant to the recruiting effort that I was talking about.

I would consider the same amount of 3-4 grad transfers to be a relatively heavy dose.

We don't need that many and your examples of Harris and Johnson are good examples of desperation reaches in a coaching transition.

We don't need that many and your examples of Harris and Johnson are good examples of desperation reaches in a coaching transition.

Between the secondary, QB, and O-line, I could easily see 3-4 coming in. Mel has said repeatedly that he‘s doing everything to win now and it’s not like next year’s roster looks spectacularly ready to win either. There were definitely times we could have used Jauntavious instead of seeing a line with true freshmen.

Whether that’s desperation or whatever is irrelevant to my point.

Between the secondary, QB, and O-line, I could easily see 3-4 coming in. Mel has said repeatedly that he‘s doing everything to win now and it’s not like next year’s roster looks spectacularly ready to win either. There were definitely times we could have used Jauntavious instead of seeing a line with true freshmen.

Whether that’s desperation or whatever is irrelevant to my point.

We might see two. Odds are greater of seeing zero versus four. The roster next year is solid.

We might see two. Odds are greater of seeing zero versus four. The roster next year is solid.
Frustrating thing is that Onu and Hambright were great at filling holes to bridge to 2020... but I'd like grad transfers at the same positions to bridge to 2021. We've got to get to the point where this isn't a constant need in order to field a team that's representative of a P5 program.

Back