What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RPI Watch: 2018 Season

A cursury look at the PAC12 shows a lot more balance. ASU 2-3 and losing right now. Cal pretty bad. Everyone else can win on any given night right now (or lose).

As a reminder-

The lowest RPI team since the formula changed in 2005 to get an at-large bid was USC in 2011; they were 67. However, in 2011, the field was extremely weak, and conference champs went mostly chalk, and USC had some very nice wins (Texas, @Tennesee, Arizona); Marquette also got in with the 64th best RPI ranking.

The highest-ranked by RPI "Big 6" program ever to be left out was Cincinatti in 2006, who was 40. However, no team better than 49th has been left out since 2007, and the only team ranked 49th or better to be left out since the field expanded to 68 was Missouri in 2014- they were 49th.

Mercer got a road win at VMI. Hopefully they're starting to get themselves right.

Quinnipiac struggling a bit. Dropped one at home to Niagara, which is a pretty good team in the MAAC. Got a couple coming up they QP should win.

Denver in a tight one at NE-Omaha (down 1 with 6 minutes left). Would be a nice win over a beatable team.

USD lost to a terrible Portland team at home. Sorry everyone.

USD lost to a terrible Portland team at home. Sorry everyone.
I was hoping that when I woke up this morning I'd find out that score I saw was a bad dream. That hurts. They're not playing well the past couple weeks.

I'm really having second thoughts about KenPom being included in the committee decisions. Wisconsin (My Alma Mater) is 9-10 with nothing close to a good win and is ranked 15 or so spots ahead of CU. I understand it's a formula, but the difference is almost all to do with SOS, which the B1G comes in with every year. B1G teams can barely fall once the conference season starts. Wis lost to Rutgers, for christsakes.
LIve RPI has the Buffs at 52, Ahead of both UCLA(53) and Washington(54)

Tomorrow is a very important game.

I'm really having second thoughts about KenPom being included in the committee decisions. Wisconsin (My Alma Mater) is 9-10 with nothing close to a good win and is ranked 15 or so spots ahead of CU. I understand it's a formula, but the difference is almost all to do with SOS, which the B1G comes in with every year. B1G teams can barely fall once the conference season starts. Wis lost to Rutgers, for christsakes.
Then you've got ESPN and their BPI -- which factors in altitude as a factor in its formula. In that, CU has every home win discounted and every home loss made worse. Not part of the committee's official papers, but I guarantee it has an influence when ESPN owns the selection show rights and all the stuff they broadcast about the bubble leads with BPI. Heading into this week's games, BPI had CU at #127.

Then you've got ESPN and their BPI -- which factors in altitude as a factor in its formula. In that, CU has every home win discounted and every home loss made worse. Not part of the committee's official papers, but I guarantee it has an influence when ESPN owns the selection show rights and all the stuff they broadcast about the bubble leads with BPI. Heading into this week's games, BPI had CU at #127.
Charlie-Day-WTF.gif

Must go 9-0 at home in Pac-12 play. That is CU's path to the Dance.

Going off of this and not to look too far ahead, but it seems like the magic number is 11 conference wins. That would mean winning out at home and picking up one more on the road (most likely on the Washington trip), giving us 19 wins and a RPI right around 50 heading into the PAC 12 tourney. Win one in the P12 tourney and we should be on the right side of the bubble with 20 wins and a RPI in the high 40s.

Going off of this and not to look too far ahead, but it seems like the magic number is 11 conference wins. That would mean winning out at home and picking up one more on the road (most likely on the Washington trip), giving us 19 wins and a RPI right around 50 heading into the PAC 12 tourney. Win one in the P12 tourney and we should be on the right side of the bubble with 20 wins and a RPI in the high 40s.
I was thinking we need 2 on the road to finish the regular season at 20-10. Whether 19 or 20, we'd then have to make the P12C final game for me to feel good on Selection Sunday.

Odds are that this is an NIT season, but the path is there and this team has shown it can beat anyone in the Pac-12.

I was thinking we need 2 on the road to finish the regular season at 20-10. Whether 19 or 20, we'd then have to make the P12C final game for me to feel good on Selection Sunday.

Odds are that this is an NIT season, but the path is there and this team has shown it can beat anyone in the Pac-12.

Need to be inside the RPI top 50 at the end of the season. 20 wins should accomplish that, possibly 19 as long as they win out at home and beat Wazzou on the road.

Looks like that St. Bonaventure team we wanted out of the way from the A-10 (RPI #44) is going to lose at Davidson tonight. Down 12 with under 6 minutes left. (y)

This is two years old, but informative.

Basically, Jerry Palm looks at the highest/lowest RPI to get left out or get an at-large bid to the tourney.

Looks like being in the top 40 (and in a Power conference) is safe

Since 2005. The Big Six are the ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC. Records include games against D-I opponents only.
Since the RPI formula changed in 2005....
Highest RPI ranking left out of the tournament:
• 21 - Missouri State (2006)
• 29 - Colorado State (2015)
• 30 - Hofstra (2006), Air Force (2007)
Among the Big Six:
• 40 - Cincinnati (2006)
• 41 - Florida State (2007)
• 45 - Clemson (2007)
• 49 - Missouri (2014) highest in 68-team tournament era
Lowest RPI to get an at-large bid:
• 67 - USC (2011)
• 64 - Marquette (2011)
• 63 - North Carolina State (2005), Stanford (2007)

This is two years old, but informative.

Basically, Jerry Palm looks at the highest/lowest RPI to get left out or get an at-large bid to the tourney.

Looks like being in the top 40 (and in a Power conference) is safe
I almost forgot about how CSU got jobbed and how well they handled it (lol). Thanks for the reminder...

#59 RPI UCF, a team that was among the teams on that bubble to potentially make a run to make the Dance, is almost certainly done now.

Do they do the same for Utah?

NIT unless our Buffs do something crazy like sweeping this Arizona road trip or winning the Pac-12 tourney.

As a fan I want the buffs to do everything in their power to get in the Dance. However I feel like an NIT run would not be the terrible either. For a team this young, having the chance to potentially host a couple of tournament games and make a run towards MSG might be more beneficial in the long run.

NIT unless our Buffs do something crazy like sweeping this Arizona road trip or winning the Pac-12 tourney.

At RPI #59 now. There is still hope, like winning out at home and sweeping the Washington road trip, or getting a win at Wash St. and Utah. With 10 games left they need to win at least 7.

Yes, Saturday was critical......but I don't think we're out of NCAA contention yet. WSU at Pullman and all the home games are must wins. Need to probably add another road win to that mix (beating UW on their floor or Utah ideally).

Not much room for error, they can't drop any games they should win and get an at large bid, I mean zero. Definitely need another road win too. Hell, win the Pac 12 tourney and leave no doubt.

Back