What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scoreboards

Boulder building code regulates that structures must be able to withstand winds of up to 120mph. Without some major reinforcement I do not see bigger boards being able to withstand those.

won't be impressed until we see it playing video :you:

4b2008ca-4d02-d4a8.jpg

I am guessing the actual replay board is probably about from Phil's chin and up, everything else below is for the advertisements.

The south boards appear to be done. Although there is a little bit of empty space on each side of the ribbon board, the crane drove off this afternoon after lifting in the last segment on the west end. It was a happy accident that I was able to catch the final lift. I was heating up my lunch and I had my camera in my pocket so I snapped a shot out of the window. It doesn't look so good but I caught the last piece. The third picture shows that the crane has left the south end and that there are no more video board pieces waiting to be lifted in. Nothing has changed on the field level board (so I did not post a picture) and while there is work going on at the north end (mostly welding and/or electrical by the looks of the wires) the crane has not returned. From here on out, I'm not going to post any more updates on the south board unless something REALLY interesting happens (like testing). I will keep you all updated on the field level board and the north board though.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

I'm confused by the south video board. That board looks tiny...or in reality the exact same size as the old board. As the aspect ratio still looks to be 4:3, in order to display a 16:9 image, they'd have to divide up the screen in half, making that a really tiny amount of real estate for replays and live video, and more importantly a SMALLER amount of real estate than the old board. This looks identical to the old setup, except they replaced the back-lit signage with LED product. I don't get it. Why spend millions to replace the old 4:3 board...with a new 4:3 board the same size?

I'm confused by the south video board. That board looks tiny...or in reality the exact same size as the old board. As the aspect ratio still looks to be 4:3, in order to display a 16:9 image, they'd have to divide up the screen in half, making that a really tiny amount of real estate for replays and live video, and more importantly a SMALLER amount of real estate than the old board. This looks identical to the old setup, except they replaced the back-lit signage with LED product. I don't get it. Why spend millions to replace the old 4:3 board...with a new 4:3 board the same size?
Agreed. Maybe the board didn't need to be much bigger, but to stay at 4:3 is bush league.

Let me try this for a response: If the resolution were better, would you feel that a bigger board was necessary? I said this somewhere else in the thread, but the new boards at Stanford are the same size as this, perhaps even a bit smaller. The difference is the resolution. You can read those boards from anywhere in the stadium.

Let me try this for a response: If the resolution were better, would you feel that a bigger board was necessary? I said this somewhere else in the thread, but the new boards at Stanford are the same size as this, perhaps even a bit smaller. The difference is the resolution. You can read those boards from anywhere in the stadium.
the ratio is the issue. 4:3 is foreign and screams "old"

Honestly while I think the boards will be a huge improvement I'm rather disappointed that the size of the actual south board was not increased at all. When they were installing the panels I kept thinking that one additional panel length was somehow going to be installed on each side of the frame making the board more of a rectangle.

IMO this improvement sums up CU's attitude towards spending money on athletics. Another improvement that appears to be done meeting some minimum requirement instead of making an aggressive statement.

Honestly while I think the boards will be a huge improvement I'm rather disappointed that the size of the actual south board was not increased at all. When they were installing the panels I kept thinking that one additional panel length was somehow going to be installed on each side of the frame making the board more of a rectangle.

IMO this improvement sums up CU's attitude towards spending money on athletics. Another improvement that appears to be done meeting some minimum requirement instead of making an aggressive statement.

winds

That is exactly what I'm talking about with the 4:3 ratio thing. It looks like we are trying for "just barely good enough." 16:9 is now the ratio for EVERYTHING. Except for our southern board.
Bull****.

Serious?

They can build an entire house that can withstand a category 4 hurricane. I would bet money that there is a current student at CU in the engineering program that could have come up with a simple solution that would have allowed them to make the board on the South end larger and stand up to any winds in Boulder short of Armageddon.

I was always under the impression that the south board was just getting an update and they were replacing the ad boards with ribbon boards which would help advertising revenue. They expanded the width slightly of the south board, as was seen in GB's photos. Honestly not worried about it in the least

I thought the big improvement was always going to be the big screen in the north endzone anyway. Every plan or rendering i saw focused on that board.

Wind is a crap answer, the board looks like a widescreen TV that is at a 90 degree angle. It takes up the same space yet has less area that can be mounted to something since the long end is up and down instead of horizontal.

Unless I am missing something here, someone made a HUGE mistake.

Wind is a crap answer, the board looks like a widescreen TV that is at a 90 degree angle. It takes up the same space yet has less area that can be mounted to something since the long end is up and down instead of horizontal.

Unless I am missing something here, someone made a HUGE mistake.

you usually are

Back