What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scoreboards

one thing to consider....

well, if my memory is not poor about this issue....

not all of that old board in the south end zone was a vid board.

BolderBoulder2010_DSC_3762_c25.jpg

if you will notice, the top of the board is not a screen. if this new board is all screen, and it appears to be so, then CU does in fact have a bigger screen on the south side.

i cant speak to the ratio. that is egg head crap and i have no idea what that all means. :smile2:

one thing to consider....

well, if my memory is not poor about this issue....

not all of that old board in the south end zone was a vid board.

BolderBoulder2010_DSC_3762_c25.jpg

if you will notice, the top of the board is not a screen. if this new board is all screen, and it appears to be so, then CU does in fact have a bigger screen on the south side.

i cant speak to the ratio. that is egg head crap and i have no idea what that all means. :smile2:

If the mockup I pulled is accurate (post #172), the part that displays the score, time, etc. takes up about 25% of the vertical space. If I measure the viewable area of the mockup board in paint, it comes out to about 1.19x0.81. That comes out to ratio of 1.42. Take that out to a fraction and 4.40:3 or 13.22:9. I think it is probably a lot closer to 4:3 than it is 16:9. Assuming the same height, it would have to be about 25% wider to truly be a 16:9 ratio. They could still achieve the 16:9 ratio by increasing the size of the non-video portion though.

Perhaps. I was always kinda pissed at the resolution and functionality of the boards, not so much their size or ratio.

This. 16:9 looks more modern, but everyone today is used to the same old pixelated crap (think "HD" on a 46"+ screen tv). Higher resolution at 4:3 will be better than a ****** resolution at 4:3. It's on par with crappy 16:9 resolution and definitely worse than a high res 16:9.

Until you've used a high resolution display you would never know the difference. In fact, the next time you are at Best Buy go and try Apple's new premiere 15" laptop with its ridiculous screen. ****ing incredible piece of tech that I'd rather have than a 17"+ monitor.

Edit: Also think that it's a step in the right direction. When I went to the Texas game I *LOVED* their screen. I hated the sheer amount of ads that they had on it as well. If this cuts down on the amount of ads I'd be one happy camper. Now the north end on the other hand....

:lol: at the people bitching about the size...points above are dead on as it will be bigger by default given the utilizing of the entire board while the ribbon boards display the score/times/stats (not to mention the wonders of picture quality)

Plus, this isn't mile high stadium or anything where we have 80,000 people and seats are nowhere near the field....the size of the South board will be perfect and the increased size in the north should be more than enough to shut all you Sally's up......they're friggin TV's, if you like staring at the video boards so much then I'm guessing you're the fan that prefers watching it at home on your 70" plasma anyways

Another lame decision by the AD. Why CU will be mid tier, they don't dare to make giant leap in investing in the program. Visitors will be underwhelmed as are most of us. Go big or go home.

:lol: at the people bitching about the size...points above are dead on as it will be bigger by default given the utilizing of the entire board while the ribbon boards display the score/times/stats (not to mention the wonders of picture quality)

Plus, this isn't mile high stadium or anything where we have 80,000 people and seats are nowhere near the field....the size of the South board will be perfect and the increased size in the north should be more than enough to shut all you Sally's up......they're friggin TV's, if you like staring at the video boards so much then I'm guessing you're the fan that prefers watching it at home on your 70" plasma anyways

I'm not so much bitching about the size (well, i suppose I am to some degree) but more A) the lack of change in the look/feel/design, and B) not staying current with the tech market today. For A), to me, having the south board pretty much look exactly as it did prior to the upgrade looks like we're just spinning our wheels and not moving forward. Like it or not, but people respond to change more than refinements (at least in my humble opinion) and spending some serious cash for what appears on the surface to be "the same thing" is disappointing. And while I agree, the focus should be on the game, not the big-screens, if you look around at all the new stadium builds and rennovations... what is front and center? Giant frigging screens with crazy LED ribbon boards/halos. Did you see the size of the screen at the bball Final Four? That sucker was practically the same size at the entire court! I'm not saying that I would ever want Folsom to even begin to put in some monstrosity like Texas has, but you gotta at least try to look like you're keeping up.

As for B), 4:3 is dead and buried at this point. You pretty much can't buy anything SD 4:3 in the consumer or broadcast world anymore. They're finally retiring the Buff Truck (the production truck that did the BuffVision show) and building a new control room for Folsom and CUEC, with new cameras, switchers, etc, and all that new gear will be HD/16:9 capable. Which tells me that, because now 100% of the south board is LED, they are going to have to split that screen basically in half to have a 16:9 portion for video.

If they were going for better resolution and not concerned with size, why not make the south board a lot wider than taller, and then split it vertically - like the boards at Sports Authority or the Dicks soccer stadium? At least that would have a new "look" to it.

Or who knows, maybe the south board will only do ads, and all the attention will be placed on a much larger north board.

Another lame decision by the AD. Why CU will be mid tier, they don't dare to make giant leap in investing in the program. Visitors will be underwhelmed as are most of us. Go big or go home.

Sigh.

We may be getting a line of bull from the AD, I don't know. But the reason we're getting for the size of the boards is that if they were any bigger, they'd represent too large of a surface for the wind. Again, this may be a line of bull, I don't know. In any event, bigger does not necessarily equate to better.

But the reason we're getting for the size of the boards is that if they were any bigger, they'd represent too large of a surface for the wind. Again, this may be a line of bull, I don't know. In any event, bigger does not necessarily equate to better.

I can't find the link, but did read the Boulder wind capacity laws somewhere that stated anything larger with the current support structure would be a violation. I believe they COULD have gone larger with a new support frame, etc. But it's more complicated than it sounds and definitely would have added quite a bit of $$ to the project. Not completely certain, but that was my understanding. Hopefully someone can either confirm or correct.

Totally understand wanting a larger South board. Definitely understand wanting a 16:9 HD display. But will reserve judgement til I see it operating with video. OTOH, I think the North board is going to look kick ass and the way Folsom is, I only looked at the North board anyway, regardless where I am in Folsom.

I'll reserve judgement until game day. However, I have to agree that at this point it is pretty underwhelming. My opinion is probably tainted by DiStephano's hatred of CU football broadcasted in the Camera article.

P.S. Visitors found this page by searching for: bo pelini voldemort.

You people are weird - let's see them in action before all the complaining begins.

And there are changes - the ribbons below the boards.

4:3 is dead and buried at this point.

Seriously, who does the shopping for us? This feels like a new TV my Grandma would buy. All in all, I'm still happy that the old screens are gone, just disappointed I got the Vizio and not the Samsung.

To the guys complaining about 4:3 ratio - seriously? It doesn't take a genius to see that what they are going to do is insert a 16:9 ratio image onto the screen and surround it with information and advertising.
scoreboard.jpg
It's not the greatest image, but it's what I just knocked out on ms paint. And yes - that is a 16:9 aspect image that is put up on a 4:3 aspect overall scoreboard (getting those aspects fairly precise was the only thing I bothered with getting exact).

And, I think the "wind" claims are probably somewhat accurate. To go larger, they would probably have had to do some serious structural retrofitting for the base of the screen (going all the way down to new foundation piers/etc) - which would have likely added absurd costs to the project; absurd on the level of we would have been spending more building the support structure than the actual cost of the screens themselves.

To the guys complaining about 4:3 ratio - seriously? It doesn't take a genius to see that what they are going to do is insert a 16:9 ratio image onto the screen and surround it with information and advertising.
View attachment 9742
It's not the greatest image, but it's what I just knocked out on ms paint. And yes - that is a 16:9 aspect image that is put up on a 4:3 aspect overall scoreboard (getting those aspects fairly precise was the only thing I bothered with getting exact).

And, I think the "wind" claims are probably somewhat accurate. To go larger, they would probably have had to do some serious structural retrofitting for the base of the screen (going all the way down to new foundation piers/etc) - which would have likely added absurd costs to the project; absurd on the level of we would have been spending more building the support structure than the actual cost of the screens themselves.

skibumslapped?

View attachment 9742
It's not the greatest image, but it's what I just knocked out on ms paint.

Obviously, but still chincy. You are so smart.

Except your ratios in the MS Paint version are wrong, what we have is much taller than wide. I agree it would have been better to put this on its side as in your picture, and that would also have kept the same cross-section for wind purposes, but it would also have cost more. To be more accurate, you need to add 2-3 more bands to your screen to be used for something besides the game video. Or maybe the plan is to have two game videos going on at the same time - there is enough room for that.

That is exactly what I'm talking about with the 4:3 ratio thing. It looks like we are trying for "just barely good enough." 16:9 is now the ratio for EVERYTHING. Except for our southern board.

This is my thing. All gameday video is shot in 16:9 these days (well, unless we're talking about the spectacular low definition production of Fox College Sports, I guess). If they want to use footage from games, it's going to be widescreen. If they want to show highlights from other games, it's going to be widescreen. Are they going to have big black bars around the picture on the south end to make it fit? And that trend is just going to keep going. By going 4:3, they're opting to install something that is going the way of the dinosaur. It's not that it won't provide good video now, it's just investing in the technology of the past...

Wow, pages of new video board specification criticism and analysis based on unfinished video boards. I swear, if Mike Bohn sneezes wrong, there will be instant whining by some people on here. Some people really need to get a life...that and the season needs to start.

I'll wait until I see it on gameday.

Bottom line to me is that I care very little about scoreboards, but the old scoreboards were embarrassing to the point of detracting from the gameday experience and presenting a poor image to guests (including recruits).

CU isn't the type of place that needs to distinguish itself through artificial bells and whistles. In fact, the campus, city and surrounding areas plus historical charm of Folsom have so much going for them that trying to impress with scoreboards would detract from the experience. This project seems to fit in with what I wanted.

Anyone know if they'll be working for the July 4th "Ralphie Blast" fireworks show at Folsom? http://www.boulder4thofjuly.com/

I'll wait until I see it on gameday.

Bottom line to me is that I care very little about scoreboards, but the old scoreboards were embarrassing to the point of detracting from the gameday experience and presenting a poor image to guests (including recruits).

CU isn't the type of place that needs to distinguish itself through artificial bells and whistles. In fact, the campus, city and surrounding areas plus historical charm of Folsom have so much going for them that trying to impress with scoreboards would detract from the experience. This project seems to fit in with what I wanted.

Anyone know if they'll be working for the July 4th "Ralphie Blast" fireworks show at Folsom? http://www.boulder4thofjuly.com/

They better be working. I wonder if there's even going to be a fireworks show if this weather doesn't break soon. Maybe they'll reprise the awesome laser show from 2002...

I think what skibum did is accurate to the stuff relative to game information. I bet that the space that he is missing in his picture will be used mostly for advertising anyway. The banner will probably cycle through ads, top 25 scores, pac 12 scores, and future game times and info.

Jumping Jesus Christ!!! Can we let them turn the damn things on first before everybody freaks out? For all any of usknow, these things once turned on shoot rainbow beams into your soul that make you happy enough to forget about the product on the field.

Let's see here...old boards = definitely broken; new boards = theoretically functional. That right there seems like we might be slightly ahead of the game even without the new boards looking just like your TV at home. My guess is that these will indeed be closer to the 16:9 ratio everyone is hoping for, but you'll have the score and ad banners above the 16:9 display, as well as ad banners below the 16:9 display but above the ribbon board.

Jumping Jesus Christ!!! Can we let them turn the damn things on first before everybody freaks out? For all any of usknow, these things once turned on shoot rainbow beams into your soul that make you happy enough to forget about the product on the field.

Let's see here...old boards = definitely broken; new boards = theoretically functional. That right there seems like we might be slightly ahead of the game even without the new boards looking just like your TV at home. My guess is that these will indeed be closer to the 16:9 ratio everyone is hoping for, but you'll have the score and ad banners above the 16:9 display, as well as ad banners below the 16:9 display but above the ribbon board.

Exactly. Its all about the north board. That thing is going to look ****ing huge compared to what we are used to down there

I and the 16:9 crowd are Persecuted, Unappreciated and Hen-Pecked. Also misunderstood. :sad1:

I and the 16:9 crowd are Persecuted, Unappreciated and Hen-Pecked. Also misunderstood. :sad1:

I understand that you basically want them to turn the current board 90 degrees and have the whole board be 16:9. I think that given the current support structure that would have been impossible. They would have had to basically start from scratch raising the cost significantly.

Back