What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo health update

I would have thought they would have learned that prior to calling QB runs in the fourth quarter at CSU. Or even at the end of the first half yesterday when we called a few more.
Fair point. I'm trying to convince myself that Sefo will be back by Oregon State at the latest.

I want him back this week. Then give him the OSU game off. OSU is turrible. Let Montez start that game and play the whole day. For Oregon, we need Sefo to have a chance.

God, I never thought I'd say those words.

At that point, Montez would have started 9 games (maybe 10 or even 11). Kind of tough to go back at that point if things the team is winning. I think this is Sefo's year and he has to be played as soon as he thinks he is able.
Deemed by him or staff? Pretty sure I know his answer.

I want him back this week. Then give him the OSU game off. OSU is turrible. Let Montez start that game and play the whole day. For Oregon, we need Sefo to have a chance.

God, I never thought I'd say those words.
He plays, it's not what I would want. If he can go, fine, I'm cool with it. He needs to be 100 though.

I have not been a Sefo fan for 3 years. His poor defensive reads, focusing on one player and lack of reading thru progressions was frustrating to watch. However, he has improved in all of those areas. He is now a complete QB. He has always been unquestionably tough as well as a good running QB. Now you can add leadership, understanding of the offense, ability to make the correct reads and yes - reading thru progressions! It was awesome watching him hit slants yesterday, eating up the Michigan defense. Sefo changed my view of him thru three games this season, not because Montez needs more time to develop, rather Sefo has evolved and grown into an elite college QB. I have become a Sefo fan.
It was funny to hear some MI fans behind us screaming "It's another slant! Cover the slant for **** sake!!!"

Nice thing, if there is such a thing, is that we could rest him all week if we need to. He isn't going to miss anything by missing a practice this week.

I understand the rationale to rest him if he isn't 100%, but-

Sefo is from the Pacific Northwest, this will be the last chance for extended family to make the drive down to Eugene and see him play. For that reason alone, I'm really hopeful that he gets that opportunity. He has given so much to this program. And, I think if he is near healthy, he gives this team a very real chance to win the game- especially if Allen and Freeman are not available for UO.

Given what we've seen about Sefo and his competitive fire, unless he can hardly walk, he is going to play.

Montez will be ready.

Everybody (should of) knew that Sefo is on the edge of (re)injuring his foot / body. To say that Montez now feels ready when called seems weak. He should have been planning and preparing like he would be put in at any time. Yes, he's young, but . . .

Glad it seems like the Sefo injury is not an aggravation of the Lisfranc . . . . or related in terms of weakness/strength/training

Everybody (should of) knew that Sefo is on the edge of (re)injuring his foot / body. To say that Montez now feels ready when called seems weak. He should have been planning and preparing like he would be put in at any time. Yes, he's young, but . . .

Glad it seems like the Sefo injury is not an aggravation of the Lisfranc . . . . or related in terms of weakness/strength/training

I'm just not going to put too much of the blame on Montez for entering a game in that situation as a FS-Frosh with a huddle full of teammates that were completely deflated. No one stepped up as a leader. Should have been guys saying, "Relax, do your thing, we got this." Instead, blocking wasn't there, RBs didn't make plays, receivers dropped passes, and guys got tackled a yard short of a 1st down a couple times. The other 10 guys turtling bothered me a hell of a lot more than Montez being shaky in that situation.

I'm just not going to put too much of the blame on Montez for entering a game in that situation as a FS-Frosh with a huddle full of teammates that were completely deflated. No one stepped up as a leader. Should have been guys saying, "Relax, do your thing, we got this." Instead, blocking wasn't there, RBs didn't make plays, receivers dropped passes, and guys got tackled a yard short of a 1st down a couple times. The other 10 guys turtling bothered me a hell of a lot more than Montez being shaky in that situation.
Goddamn right. Too many seniors on this team to let that **** happen.

Maybe a week of having him as the #1 will get people to support him more.
He's young, but he needs to step up and be a leader.

No way Sefo gets a lot of snaps this week. I'm less worried about Montez and more worried about the team feeling like they have a chance with him. They quit when sefo went down, and that pissed me off.

Tells you a thing or two about who the leader is on offense and the amount respect the team probably has for him. Or the amount of doubt they have about the back ups.

Goddamn right. Too many seniors on this team to let that **** happen.
these guys are conditioned to be fragile and go to their happy / sublime place when "it starts to happen again." It's who they have been - I just hope it's not who they choose to be going forward. they DO have a choice to break that mentality.

the air went out of the Buffs when sefo went down for sure. personally, i think the best news out there right now is that they view sefo as day to day. i feared (mostly due to my own pessimistic tendencies with the Buffs for this last decade) that it might be a lot worse.

montez will play better on saturday. he will. will it be enough? i don't know, but i also expect the team around him to play better too.

oh, and on the "turtling" comment, when they had sefo take a knee twice at the end of the 2nd with enough time on the clock to allow michigan to go down and score, i was ballistically pissed at the staff. that's turtling. i wish the team had reacted better when sefo went down, but this happens at every level when you lose a heart and soul type of teammate. everyone will do better next week. they have a week to prepare themselves.

my biggest thing is just run the ****ing offense. don't try to sit on a lead, don't try to regroup, don't try to slow things down, don't try to simplify or be conservative. run the offense. the offense works. it is effective. it disrupts what defenses want to do. the team practices the offense, including montez, so run the offense.

I'm going way out on a limb here but this week is/could be the moment Montez seizes future control of the team. The coaches have to believe in him though. He seemed pissed off over his performance. I think he'll play well against the ducks. Taking nothing away from Liufau, as he will recover and lead the team to the postseason when he's able, but this is Montez's opportunity to establish his future.

I listened to the post game interviews on the radio and Fields basically said the team quit. I heard that and was pissed.

Back