What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

Contraction only makes sense, if NCAA Division 1 restructures. In that scenario perhaps you end up with a level of collegiate athletics that truly is more of an NFL Minor League. Then you will definitely have contraction because there are only a handful of schools that can afford that.

I agree with Liver, that the most likely scenario is consolidation. 4 super conferences makes the sense from the standpoint of preserving the existing structure of division 1 football.

Regardless, the Pac12 has issues that cannot be solved until Larry Scott is removed as commissioner.

this is a topic that I'm fascinated with and I note that you're speaking in certainties here, e.g. "there will be.." (vs. "I believe this will happen" or "indications suggest this is the trend"). assuming you're not over-stating your knowledge, would you please cite your sources?
He uses the same tone and phrasing in his posts in the MLB thread.

Basically, it's misplaced faith.

don't hate when i bring you THE FUTURE.

i know what i know, what i don't know, what you know, and what you don't know.

so there.

realignment and new deals are coming and scott is going. to get the big money, there will have to be playoffs and such.

there will be 4 super conferences of 16 teams each (plus ND and the service academies as indies and other g5 play in opportunities).

to get to the 4 super conferences (each with two 8 team divisions), the math looks like this:

pac 12 +4
sec 14 +2
ACC 14 +2
big10 14 +2

conveniently, the big 12 has 10 teams. they will be split up among the others to make the 4 super conferences. the tv deals will be massive.

the intense lobbying will be around where each of the b12 teams lands, but all will land in a super conference. and every school will make more $$$$.

the advisory committee and the scott rumors and all the rest are just a part of this bigger desired outcome.

I want some of whatever you're smoking. The Big 12 is lightyears ahead of where this league is right now.

"'entire structure and composition' of the conference.. including 'contract issues'"

'composition' sounds like expansion or contraction to me.

expansion has been well discussed on this board, and I'm not aware of any new information to add to the speculation of what schools might be considered beyond stating that given the present state of affairs, it's implausible that any XII schools defect here.

I've speculated for at least five years that the next round of realignment could mean contraction, and that scares tf out of me after reading WIlner's piece.
  1. the schools that offer the least could be the smallest, like OSU and WSU. but hard to imagine that if they keep the big brothers in house
  2. anyone aware of the contractual details between CU and the Pac? first order google search didn't find anything. I think this is the elephant in the living room right now. From a geographic and tradition POV, I could see the left coast schools looking at a return to Pac10 or even Pac8 days.

I think we're overthinking what "changing the entire structure and composition" of the conference means. Several thoughts here:

1. Oregon State and Washington State will remain a part of this league as long as UW/UO are in it, and would probably tag along with them in any sort of scenario that saw them change conferences.
2. Expansion isn't happening either. No Big 12 school is coming here, and no MWC school brings this league a market it doesn't already have a solid foothold in.
3. .As far as contraction-here's what I think: The conference will not be contracting on its own. That would mean in all likelihood losing the Denver (which matters-even as Bronco-centric as it is), Salt Lake, or Phoenix media markets to the Big 12. I could see a scenario where the Arizona and Mountain schools move to the Big 12 of their own volition, but that'd be about it.

In all likelihood, we're talking about changes like the following:

1) Buying out Larry Scott's contract
2) Moving the conference HQ to a market where real estate is cheaper (Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, and SLC all would probably fit) than on the West Coast. Given the basketball tournaments and football championship game are all in Vegas already, that city's the leader in the clubhouse.
3) A makeover of the Pac 12 Network

i am more fit than that.

I knew Liver was a beer drinker!

i don't drink beer. ever.
I want some of whatever you're smoking. The Big 12 is lightyears ahead of where this league is right now.

I think we're overthinking what "changing the entire structure and composition" of the conference means. Several thoughts here:

1. Oregon State and Washington State will remain a part of this league as long as UW/UO are in it, and would probably tag along with them in any sort of scenario that saw them change conferences.
2. Expansion isn't happening either. No Big 12 school is coming here, and no MWC school brings this league a market it doesn't already have a solid foothold in.
3. .As far as contraction-here's what I think: The conference will not be contracting on its own. That would mean in all likelihood losing the Denver (which matters-even as Bronco-centric as it is), Salt Lake, or Phoenix media markets to the Big 12. I could see a scenario where the Arizona and Mountain schools move to the Big 12 of their own volition, but that'd be about it.

In all likelihood, we're talking about changes like the following:

1) Buying out Larry Scott's contract
2) Moving the conference HQ to a market where real estate is cheaper (Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, and SLC all would probably fit) than on the West Coast. Given the basketball tournaments and football championship game are all in Vegas already, that city's the leader in the clubhouse.
3) A makeover of the Pac 12 Network

here is what you are missing and it is a foundational point. the network are going to put together a tv offer contingent upon 4 -16 team conferences and playoff. each school will get more money than they get now. the b12 will dissolve voluntarily.

I want some of whatever you're smoking. The Big 12 is light years ahead of where this league is right now.
This is the issue right now. Oklahoma and OSU would have come with us to the Pac 12 in the last conference realignment and I guarandamntee you that are ecstatic the Pac 12 didn't want them.

i am more fit than that.

i don't drink beer. ever.

here is what you are missing and it is a foundational point. the network are going to put together a tv offer contingent upon 4 -16 team conferences and playoff. each school will get more money than they get now. the b12 will dissolve voluntarily.

Explain your thinking further, please. If a league dissolves, its most likely to be the Pac 12. Have you seen how nobody gives a **** about the fact that the Pac 12 passed on the fall football season?

Explain your thinking further, please. If a league dissolves, its most likely to be the Pac 12. Have you seen how nobody gives a **** about the fact that the Pac 12 passed on the fall football season?
That’s not even close to true though.

you are, again, thinking too small. if it helps, rename the super conferences as West, North East, South East, and Mid-West.

what the conf is ultimately called is not important. teams that are currently in what is currently the b12 earn more per team than p12 teams. we're talking about a multi-network, multi-platform comprehensive tv deal for 64 teams (plus nd, and g5 play-ins to the playoffs). each of the 64 will make MORE money than whatever they make now. that's how the deal gets done.

it is all about the money.

the b12 teams aren't going to give a **** about what conf they are in. there will be 4 geographic conferences with most traditional rivalries protected and no p5 schools will be left out.

brbon_bas2.jpg
Had their dark rye?

The thing with the Pac 12 is that the players haven't spoken up, no parents have made a stink, no ADs have cried about it publicly, etc. The Midwest, East Coast and South couldn't care less about the Pac 12, but it's not the only reason the Pac 12 isn't in the conversation.

I posted this earlier - this is from someone who covers the conference

It’s because the pac 12 handled everything completely different than the big 10. There are 4 teams in conference that weren’t even able to join for practice. Ucla coaches weren’t even able to be in the facilities until a couple weeks ago. It’s not hard to see the difference. 4 of the 6 states aren’t even playing high school football.

In liver’s dystopian CFB landscape, I wonder where CU falls in all that pecking order. Probably not very different from where they are now.

And the prediction makes some sense. Whatever system comes out of this mess will still need West Coast programming.

A smart TV guy could theoretically set up every Saturday to be like New Years Day used to be, with 10:00 AM games (that are in fact noon games on the East Coast, followed by games at 1:30, 4:00, and 7:30. Would that really be so bad? Think of the possibility of tailgating for six hours watching the games from across the country. That sounds pretty great to me. I’m not a huge fan of a 16-team conference, but if that would ensure CU’s financial stability, count me in.

Oh, and with 16-team conferences, there is a good possibility that the regular season goes to 14 games. Also good, IMO.

These are good things that *could* come from the current mess. Frankly, I would be OK with almost all that.

It’s because the pac 12 handled everything completely different than the big 10. There are 4 teams in conference that weren’t even able to join for practice. Ucla coaches weren’t even able to be in the facilities until a couple weeks ago. It’s not hard to see the difference. 4 of the 6 states aren’t even playing high school football.

Yes the Pac12 did give more transparency regarding the decision to not play and all 12 presidents were in favor of it. Plus their flagship program USC didn't put up any resistance. But this doesn't change the fact that there's total apathy nationally toward the Pac12 not playing as @TSchekler mentioned above

In liver’s dystopian CFB landscape, I wonder where CU falls in all that pecking order. Probably not very different from where they are now.

And the prediction makes some sense. Whatever system comes out of this mess will still need West Coast programming.

A smart TV guy could theoretically set up every Saturday to be like New Years Day used to be, with 10:00 AM games (that are in fact noon games on the East Coast, followed by games at 1:30, 4:00, and 7:30. Would that really be so bad? Think of the possibility of tailgating for six hours watching the games from across the country. That sounds pretty great to me. I’m not a huge fan of a 16-team conference, but if that would ensure CU’s financial stability, count me in.

Oh, and with 16-team conferences, there is a good possibility that the regular season goes to 14 games. Also good, IMO.

These are good things that *could* come from the current mess. Frankly, I would be OK with almost all that.
You've come around 180° on expansion.

Yes the Pac12 did give more transparency regarding the decision to not play and all 12 presidents were in favor of it. Plus their flagship program USC didn't put up any resistance. But this doesn't change the fact that there's total apathy nationally toward the Pac12 not playing as @TSchekler mentioned above
That is somewhat true but the pressure for the big 10 to play is coming from the players, parents and the coaches/ads in the big 10. The transparency and local restrictions in the pac 12 states limit that a ton.

CU will land just fine. its going to be different but ok. all of the existing p5 teams are going be better off. that is the selling point. all will make more money. and the playoffs will generate huge dollars with a chance for the g5s to play in.

there will be some kind of a western 16 team super conference that resembles much of the p12 now. i would expect we're going to get pushed into an eastern division of the pac super conf with say ua, asu, utah, texas, oklahome, tech, baylor and us or something. it would kinda suck to be in that division but also kinda awesome. that is a ****ing meaningful division even if we have to put up with f-baylor. the western division will be the old pac 8 so they will dig it.

this is all going to happen because the math works and the money is huge.

my one hope from it all is that "amateur" football players get something more out of it than they do now.

It’s definitely a “lesser of two evils” situation for me. If the thing that will keep CU solvent - and possibly relevant again someday - is expansion, then by all means, expand. Expansion for the sake of expansion remains a horrible idea.

It’s definitely a “lesser of two evils” situation for me. If the thing that will keep CU solvent - and possibly relevant again someday - is expansion, then by all means, expand. Expansion for the sake of expansion remains a horrible idea.

FACT.

this is how to survive. we aren't good anymore and haven't been able to dictate terms to anyone for a few decades. the way this gets fixed is acknowledging the power of the collective 64 (and nd, **** them).

it will be fine. and maybe we'll have a chance to be relevant again with more evenly distributed tv money.

the sec guys aren't stupid. without a national system of competitive teams, no one outside the south will watch. no viewers means no big contracts.

this is the nfl model at its core. it lifts all boats.

will i have to choke down bile if we are in a division with all those texas ****s? yes, yes, of course.

is that better than a schedule with montana state, csu, and the g5 teams? yes, yes, of course.

it may be a **** sandwich but it is OUR **** sandwich.

CU will land just fine. its going to be different but ok. all of the existing p5 teams are going be better off. that is the selling point. all will make more money. and the playoffs will generate huge dollars with a chance for the g5s to play in.

there will be some kind of a western 16 team super conference that resembles much of the p12 now. i would expect we're going to get pushed into an eastern division of the pac super conf with say ua, asu, utah, texas, oklahome, tech, baylor and us or something. it would kinda suck to be in that division but also kinda awesome. that is a ****ing meaningful division even if we have to put up with f-baylor. the western division will be the old pac 8 so they will dig it.

this is all going to happen because the math works and the money is huge.

my one hope from it all is that "amateur" football players get something more out of it than they do now.

CU's Pac-12 East schedule:

Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

Recruiters are going to have to push the evenlope in that division. That would be SWC 2.0.

Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

Recruiters are going to have to push the evenlope in that division. That would be SWC 2.0.
You have to push the envelope in every single power 5 division in order to win. The only teams CU should look up in that division is Texas and Oklahoma, everyone else... bring it on.

You have to push the envelope in every single power 5 division in order to win. The only teams CU should look up in that division is Texas and Oklahoma, everyone else... bring it on.

This. I can't get myself to hate USC or UCLA.

Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

It has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, but the only way super conference schedules make sense is if you use a "pod" structure. Mostly because every team in the Pac16 is going to want a guaranteed game in Cali and Texas/OK every season. Also, the California schools will demand they play each other every year.

PNW - UW, WSU, UO, OSU
Cal - Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA
Mountain - CU, Utah, ASU, UA
Midwest - UT, TTU, OU, OSU

Your OOC is against the other 3 conferences, potentially tied to your finish in conference the previous season. SEC #11 vs Pac #11, etc.

Example Schedule
1 - Rotating Big 10 opponent
2 - Rotating SEC opponent
3 - Rotating ACC opponent
4 ASU
5 @UofA
6 @UW
7 Utah
8 OSU
9 UCLA
10 @Stanford
11 @UT
12 OU

The 4 pod winners compete for the conference championship. Conference champions play in the national playoff. Boom 16 team playoff.

Polls can still exist to provide bowl matchups for the remaining eligible teams.

Makes too much sense, which is why they won't do it.

Back