What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Game on March 18th

Interesting to me:

Edward's as a starter
Wigley appeared 3rd strong
Evan White is our nickel or 5th DB

Come on, man! Guys don't wear bras!
Just for you, DBT:
The+name+is+everything+pic+related+_eb4371efb052983337723f31b62eb8b2.jpg

I never really noticed him doing anything in the "scrimmage" part of practice, but Sparaco is a large human. Had a couple of kind of shockingly athletic plays during drills.

CU: You gave a good variety of immediate thoughts on the "showcase." I've added my thoughts to yours:

Wrap-up thoughts:
Passing game stands out as strength. Multiple targets and multiple throwers can get the job done.
I agree 100%

Running game - not much to highlight. Lindsey didn't get reps. Atkins, Evans and Bisharat looked interchangeable. Limiting running plays and contact by design to minimize more injuries. This is a question mark.

Yep, hard to tell regarding the running game. Almost all the runs they did were straight up the gut and all in a row. I was pleasantly surprised from what I saw from Atkins, and I hope he can bring it like that for the next 7 months, as I was definitely off of his bandwagon. I'm pretty sure that Evans isn't healthy yet though.

QB - Montez can be sharp, but also inconsistent. Lytle edges Noyer for second string based on today's outing, but both have flashes.

Agree on Montez, but I am the opposite on Lytle and Noyer. Lytle throws a nice ball, but almost all passes were only to one look down the sideline, and it will take him a while to be game ready. That said, his future looks great, and I'm a fan. I thought Noyer looked great, and showed that he's solid in the number 2 slot.

Special Teams - Not really comfortable with PAT and FG accuracy. Neither Graham nor Price were automatic. Far from it, actually. Hope our Australian old man can up improve this piece of the game.

Yep, looking forward to see what the Aussie kicker who represents the age group of AllBuffs does on the field.

Defense - Not much else jumped out at corner or LB. I was hoping Oliver & Laguda would shine.

Yep. Not making plays like our studs last year, but that may be due to the fact that we've got a full cupboard in the WR department and they're not just depth guys. They all seem to be playmakers. Hopefully the DBs keep progressing. Going against our WRs in practice is going to give them some good looks.

Biggest disappointment is not seeing a real scrimmage. The showcase of situational drills was fun mostly because practice has been closed. But this wasn't a substitute for a true game. Still lots of questions on how this defense might stack up against the rest of the league. Very true. I'd like to see them get to the point of having a traditional spring game again. Hopefully some recruits who might not already be convinced to give CU a shot see the 79 degree weather on March 18 and give Boulder a visit.

DBs honestly didn't look bad. We had some throws and catches that would have been completions against anybody including the group we had last year.

When Fisher made the play on the ball it was not a perfect throw but that is what you have to do in modern college football. Play as soundly as you can knowing that the opponent is going to make some plays, you just have to be ready and make the play when they are less than perfect and that is what he did.

Anyone have a Spring Game roster sheet he can photo and upload? I went in on the west side from the creek and didn't get one.

My 2 cents

Montez looked like crap to start w INT, fumble etc but got better. Seems to still be throwing off his back foot sometimes. He seemed a step faster than last year. Noyer and Lytle was a toss up to me. Marksberry looked really athletic on a few plays.

OL looked avg as did running game but prob just play calling. Adkins showed flashes...waiting for the inevitable injury to come.

WR looked pretty good but some of the blocking was pretty atrocious.

Edwards is a stud. Fisher looked good. Sparco had a few sweet plays.

Overall I thought we looked pretty good...compared to a few years ago this squad looks like a PAC12 football team.

Bottom line for me, I'm encouraged by what I saw. Save for six to eight players in the two deep, they all look the part. I think this team surprises.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Couldn't make it so it's good to see totally unbiased feedback about how we look.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Couldn't make it so it's good to see totally unbiased feedback about how we look.
UBL

Might be the first time anyone has ever used totally unbiased in reference to allbuffs.

Was fun watching it on TV, feed my addiction until we get some recruiting and other Buff news.

Still want a real spring game though. Would have liked to take the kids but I'm not driving 4 hours to see a practice.

Facing a steep climb to get through the depth chart and ever see time in a game but WO WR Erik Lawson ran some nice routes against depth chart DBs and showed he can catch the football.

UBL

Might be the first time anyone has ever used totally unbiased in reference to allbuffs.

Was fun watching it on TV, feed my addiction until we get some recruiting and other Buff news.

Still want a real spring game though. Would have liked to take the kids but I'm not driving 4 hours to see a practice.

Haha true. Just think that reading it here as opposed to the buffs website it's far less biased.

Craz that Montez can throw off his back foot and still throw a perfect strike, bullet. Imagine if he ever settles in, in the pocket.[/QUOT

The deep post for the TD to fields was a thing of beauty, perfect location and timing and that ball covered a lot of ground on a line. Montez has a big gun on him. Also notable today was that Montez when he moves does it much faster, he is notably quicker than Sefo was.

When Sefo left the pocket you could tell what he was going to do, either the ball went down and he was running or the ball went up and he was going to scramble and either pass, take the sack or throw it away. With Montez he tends to keep his options open he moves to create more time to throw but will still pull it down and run or throw it away.

Near the end our DL was getting pushed a bit, looked like it was a conditioning issue which can be fixed. They did though look more mobile than last years group, I hope that translates into being better at dealing with off-tackle running plays in conjunction with the OLBs.

That strike was not off his back foot. That was a well thrown ball period.

He has a kind of strange upright stance when he throws the ball so it can look like he is throwing off the back foot but you are right, he stepped through the release on that ball and it couldn't have been a nicer throw.

No. I think Noyer plays so well in fall camp they can't not.

Plus I said the game 4 thing earlier, so I can't reneg now. I real have any issues with Montez, other than the mental side. The only way I really see Noyer getting the nod is if Montez throws a bunch of pics or gets dinged, and Noyer comes in as the second coming of Peyton Manning.

I am truly exited that we aren't in the usual position of "Dear god, please don't let anything happen to our starting QB or we are totally and completely ****ed"
This QB thing is a lot closer than I anticipated. I did not think it would be that close... All 3 look pretty darn good.

so was Montez clearly the guy or are the other two semi close?
It's Montez's job to lose but there is real talent chasing him. It's closer than I anticipated. Lytle is uber talented but has the body of a high schooler, not surprisingly. If he plays as is, he'll get injured. Noyer has all the tools. It could (and should) be a tense battle in August.

It's Montez's job to lose but there is real talent chasing him. It's closer than I anticipated. Lytle is uber talented but has the body of a high schooler, not surprisingly. If he plays as is, he'll get injured. Noyer has all the tools. It could (and should) be a tense battle in August.

Noyer is in a bad spot. To me Montez is clearly the starter and will be. He has the talent and he is the only one who has even played in a college game, and he has already seen time in some significant pressure situations and handled it well.

Lytle is highly talented and looks like a guy who will adjust quickly to the college game.

My expectation is that Montez will be the starter this year. Noyer will be the backup and they won't play Lytle short of a disaster to protect his redshirt, Noyer is good enough that they won't need to.

Next season though I think Lytle takes a step up the depth chart, if it is dramatic he contends to start. Don't think he will beat out Montez next year either but Noyer will get pushed aside without ever having a really solid look at being the starter for CU.

All speculation of course and injury could change it all as well. Love Sefo but in three years we could have three QBs who are in many ways better than he was.

Back