What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steven Montez is the ****

I'm 43 years old. I've heard so many athlete interviews that I can't listening to most of them anymore. It's usually the same boring clichés over and over. Not with Montez. Funny, cocky, likable and frank. The interviews are only going to get better as he starts backing up the talk with his play. Maybe one day he'll mobbed by pro reporters looking for a quote the way Shannon Sharpe was back in the day.

Darian was a Heisman candidate as a sophomore. It could happen again with the weapons Montez has. Can't wait to see what they can do!
Totally agree! I am so sick of "coach speak" and "player speak"...Montez is a breath of fresh air for sure!

We made a big deal about Montez delivering the first ever 300 pass / 100 rush game in the school's history. I believe we see much more of that this year. Lamar Jackson finished with over 3500 pass / 1500 rush for the season. That's over a 270 pass / 120 rush per game average, so it is certainly doable.

Interestingly enough, with those averages, Lamar just had one 300/100 game. But the combined skill allowed the offense to emphasize what was working that particular game.

Last edited:
We made a big deal about Montez delivering the first ever 300 pass / 100 rush game in the school's history. I believe we see much more of that this year. Lamar Jackson finished with over 3500 pass / 1500 rush for the season. That's over a 270 pass / 120 rush per game average, so it is certainly doable.

Interestingly enough, with those averages, Lamar just had one 300/100 game. But the combined skill allowed the offense to emphasize what was working that particular game.
Hagan has had a 1,000/1,000 season.
Kordell went 2,000/500 more than once.

I'm thinking that Montez is much more likely to put up Kordell type numbers. So many weapons at WR and such a live arm that I'm expecting Montez to run a lot less than he is capable of.

Hagan has had a 1,000/1,000 season.
Kordell went 2,000/500 more than once.

I'm thinking that Montez is much more likely to put up Kordell type numbers. So many weapons at WR and such a live arm that I'm expecting Montez to run a lot less than he is capable of.
Maybe less scrambling and improvised running, but DC/BL need to utilize his athleticism with some designed QB runs.

Too much of a weapon to not use it. I am just hoping that Montez is not our short yardage option like Sefo was.
Not as much as Sefo, for sure, but using the ability to use the QB like that creates a favorable numbers mismatch for the offense. It's why the success rate of that play is so high.

Run Montez enough to force the defense to prepare and adjust to him but don't want to see a steady diet, those big dudes just hit to hard. Would rather not have him bruised up and playing at less than full ability.

@Duff Man is right that Montez with better speed and more nimble can attack the edges, a way to get him carrying the ball without going head to head with DL or ILBs.

What that can set up though, and I think he will be better at it than Sefo is putting the DBs into the hard decision. Roll him to the edge but don't cross the LOS. Give the receivers time to run their routes and break open. Problem for the DBs is that if they stay back in coverage it is Montez and the contain defender, he beats him and has 15-20 yards to run before going out of bounds or getting down to avoid the hit.. If the DBs come up to support then you have some of the best WRs in the conference one on one in space with a QB who has the arm to throw it over the coverage and the extra point team is trotting onto the field.

Sefo was all heart and as tough as they come but using your QB like a fullback isn't a good way to keep him healthy and playing at his best.

Sefo never got dinged up on designed QB runs. It was when he got hit in the pocket or was scrambling around that he tweaked his ankle and had to miss time. With that said, more QB runs means more chances that he gets hurt in some capacity, so I get the desire to run Montez less, but it's an extremely effective play and they can't be scared playcallers.

Sefo never got dinged up on designed QB runs. It was when he got hit in the pocket or was scrambling around that he tweaked his ankle and had to miss time. With that said, more QB runs means more chances that he gets hurt in some capacity, so I get the desire to run Montez less, but it's an extremely effective play and they can't be scared playcallers.

Sefo was amazingly tough. You are correct that he didn't get injured to miss time on the QB runs but he did take some shots and even if they don't put you out they take a toll.

Not saying to not run Montez and at times even run him inside to take advantage of certain defenses and to establish that as a threat. I just don't want us trying to find out if Montez can be as tough as Sefo was. With his skillset we don't need him to be. Let the RBs and WRs take the hits.

Last edited:

His ankle injury in the Michigan game happened on a designed run to the left. The big hit on the throw to Shay made it worse, but it was the designed run that started it all.

His ankle injury in the Michigan game happened on a designed run to the left. The big hit on the throw to Shay made it worse, but it was the designed run that started it all.
I thought that was a called pass that he scrambled on, but could be wrong. My mistake if so.

His shoulder hurt him but it could also be argued that Sefo never completely recovered from the ankle all season. Still played because he is tough but when QBs get beat up it often changes how they deliver the ball.

Sefo took way too many huge hits running around. Montez seemed to be better at avoiding those last year.

The thing about QBs running a lot and taking hits like a RB is that there are different shoulder pads you need to wear if you're going to protect yourself properly. You also want your jersey 2 sizes too small so that it's tight as hell with nothing to grab onto. QBs can't suit up that way because they need a lot more range of motion in order to throw the ball. So the shots they do take end up being worse than when other players take similar hits.

Edit: On that same note, it was difficult for me as a TE who mostly was used as a blocker. I wanted my jersey and shoulder pads configured more like an OT. But then when I was asked to catch the ball it wasn't very easy to raise my arms straight above my head to catch the ball. OLs don't need that kind of range of motion to stick their hands straight up.

When I heard that from Lindgren, my first thought was that this is similar to when we were told that Cody beat Tyler in the 40.
Same thing I heard. Montez breaks tackles. Noyer looks more like a get to the open spot and go down kinda guy.

Same thing I heard. Montez breaks tackles. Noyer looks more like a get to the open spot and go down kinda guy.
Yep. Noyer will be just fine if he's in the pocket, there's nothing there, and he sees open grass for a spring to the end zone or 1st down marker. Probably better than Sefo was at that. But I don't see him being a guy that scares defenses on the zone read.

Sefo took way too many huge hits running around. Montez seemed to be better at avoiding those last year.
I'm not sure about this. I seem to remember Montez ending runs at Oregon taking some very awkward hits because he was standing up too much.

The thing about QBs running a lot and taking hits like a RB is that there are different shoulder pads you need to wear if you're going to protect yourself properly. You also want your jersey 2 sizes too small so that it's tight as hell with nothing to grab onto. QBs can't suit up that way because they need a lot more range of motion in order to throw the ball. So the shots they do take end up being worse than when other players take similar hits.

Edit: On that same note, it was difficult for me as a TE who mostly was used as a blocker. I wanted my jersey and shoulder pads configured more like an OT. But then when I was asked to catch the ball it wasn't very easy to raise my arms straight above my head to catch the ball. OLs don't need that kind of range of motion to stick their hands straight up.

Also if you are a RB (or most other positions) having a sore shoulder or sore ribs or a stiff hip or a twisted finger is part of the deal. A QB has a very specific throwing motion that all of those things can impact. Be just a little off due to stiffness or pain and a first down completion becomes an INT.

Bingo. I wanted the smallest set of shoulder pads I could get. They give me ****ing Hershel Walker pads and I said hell no. " Sorry, we gave out the rest." Hell, I'm returning punts, kicks, playing db, ran some packages at rb and qb, couldn't wear that ****. Found a dude on the team that had what I was looking for and he was cool with it and traded me. Had my mom do some adjustments to my game jersey too. You have anything loose, folks will grab it, I assure you.

Last edited:
Not sure I buy the "don't run Montez too much so we don't hurt him" philosophy. It's part of the offense. Just ask Louisville from last year, Auburn (Newton), Oregon (Mariotta), Texas (Young), etc if they wished their qb had run less. Hell, even Kordell Stewart.

Back