What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steven Montez is the ****

Not sure I buy the "don't run Montez too much so we don't hurt him" philosophy. It's part of the offense. Just ask Louisville from last year, Auburn (Newton), Oregon (Mariotta), Texas (Young), etc if they wished their qb had run less. Hell, even Kordell Stewart.
It's not about running him too much, it's about running him in power situations which only Newton did in your list (which he is also ****ing massive so it is a little different). Read option and outside sweeps should be used regularly and will ultimately help Lindsay more than anything. If we used a TE more it would benefit them a lot as well in the play action passing game but doesn't look like that will be the case this year unless Pop is amazing as a freshman.

It's not about running him too much, it's about running him in power situations which only Newton did in your list (which he is also ****ing massive so it is a little different). Read option and outside sweeps should be used regularly and will ultimately help Lindsay more than anything. If we used a TE more it would benefit them a lot as well in the play action passing game but doesn't look like that will be the case this year unless Pop is amazing as a freshman.
There are a lot of posts that just talk about running in general and not specifying "power" running. Or saying "run him just enough" to keep the D honest.

There are a lot of posts that just talk about running in general and not specifying "power" running. Or saying "run him just enough" to keep the D honest.
Some people are afraid and rightfully so. Losing Montez to injury would be rough since he brings some of the rest physical attributes to the position this school has ever seen. That being said I would much rather run the crap out of the ball then go 5-wide air raid like many on here want, that is a recipe for disaster for a young defense without a ton of depth. Also, I know some people always scoff at the backup QB but I would have no issue with Sam Noyer getting limited time if Montez does get hurt, there is no reason to be terrified of him playing like we were of Wood/Gehrke in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Coaches and players just can't play in this league scared of injuries, it bleeds over into the attitude of the team and hurts a lot. But, no more QB power plays like last year, Steven is not 240-250 pounds.

I want Montez to run it some, I just don't want it being like 15 or 20 times a game. He's tall and you have a big hit zone with him. Agree on Lindsay though and the "Air Raid" bs.

I want Montez to run it some, I just don't want it being like 15 or 20 times a game. He's tall and you have a big hit zone with him. Agree on Lindsay though and the "Air Raid" bs.
If Montez has 15 runs in a game off of the read option with open holes on the outside I don't think anyone should be mad, that means we are likely kicking the **** out of the other team. For example in their final seasons, Mariotta averaged 9 carries a game, Tebow averaged 16, VY averaged 12 and Cam averaged 19. Now Montez is no where near any of those guys but I really like the 9 carries a game average by Mariotta because his YPC was very efficient at 5.7 and they had a dominant run game to go along with an explosive passing game that got the ball to guys in space since they couldn't really double anyone down the field. That should he a great blueprint for us this year, use the QB option/read option to open up running lanes and create one on one situations for the million receivers we have and to limit coverages/pre snap reads for Montez.

If Montez has 15 runs in a game off of the read option with open holes on the outside I don't think anyone should be mad, that means we are likely kicking the **** out of the other team. For example in their final seasons, Mariotta averaged 9 carries a game, Tebow averaged 16, VY averaged 12 and Cam averaged 19. Now Montez is no where near any of those guys but I really like the 9 carries a game average by Mariotta because his YPC was very efficient at 5.7 and they had a dominant run game to go along with an explosive passing game that got the ball to guys in space since they couldn't really double anyone down the field. That should he a great blueprint for us this year, use the QB option/read option to open up running lanes and create one on one situations for the million receivers we have and to limit coverages/pre snap reads for Montez.

This is what I am referring to in limiting his carries. 9-12 Might be ideal. It forces the D to respect him and is probably giving you some key yards. This is just an average as well. If we are in a tight game and it is working you may run him 18 times, do what you have to do to win the game. Balance that though if you are up two TDs early and the opponent can't stop Lindsay then Montez may only end up with 4-5 carries for the game.

One advantage that he looks to have over Sefo is more speed and quickness. Run him to the edges where his runs are more likely to end in being pushed out of bounds or being dragged down by a CB. I always cringed when I saw Sefo running directly into a 280lb+ DL or having a 240lb+ LB squaring up on him.

MM most certainly did not want that happening all the time. Of course it will be much more watered down going forward.

"Bulletin board material" is one of the most overrated things in sports from the perspective of fans and media.

Almost as bad as fans of pro teams always thinking that "home town discount" is a major factor in free agency.

VVTwTyR.gif

Is this the interview being referenced or is there another?
Not sure if this is the "cocky" interview everyone is referencing, but it really wasn't that bad. He paid props to CSU's D and his receivers. Then he tried to make a joke at the end. If this is the extent of it, there's nothing to see here. Move along.

* Disclaimer, I rarely get to see whatever videos or twitter feeds are embedded in these posts because my work system won't allow them.

What are the chances we could get a "Steven Montez Sketches" thread in here? I'm curious to see what he draws. It's kind of awesome that he does that as a hobby.

Montez was our 4th leading rusher last year - in what, 3 games?

nicknames by outsiders, based on ethnicity, are lame and insulting IMO. Go Steven! (anyone know what the players call him?)

Back