What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Student tickets for KU game

In business transactions it's the job of the seller to accommodate the customer, not the other way around. College athletics is a business, you don't piss off your customers.

If a restaurant makes it a pain in the a** for its customers to make reservations they stop going and that business fails. It's the same concept with CU athletics. Sorry, CU isn't Duke or Gonzaga or Kansas, students aren't going to camp out for tickets. Instead of complaining about it, let's recognize it and maximize our ability to get people in the door as easily as possible. That's what good businesses do.

I'm agreeing with you. The CU student customer is what it is. Let's deal with the reality of the situation. This customer is an entitled, self-important, shallowly-engaged fan who is pretty much only interested in leaving his dorm room if there's some sort of event that everyone else is saying is the place to be and a big party. They'll go if it's that, although they won't go out of their way to be there and will **** on the place if the event doesn't deliver or it's kind of a hassle to go but they get dragged there anyway. It's the type of customer who will go to an event, whether a game or a party, and spend his time ripping on how much it sucks to his friends (live or through the mobile phone he's glued to) rather than make an effort to have fun and bring the event up a notch.

So that is our customer. I'm not sure that was understood before and previously ignorant administrators were taught a lesson. Now they know. I am confident that they will work within that going forward, whereas before they were under the misguided belief that the customer genuinely cared about the product and shared a goal of bringing the fervor up to the level of a KU or UK or Duke when that is clearly not the case.

In business transactions it's the job of the seller to accommodate the customer, not the other way around. College athletics is a business, you don't piss off your customers.

If a restaurant makes it a pain in the a** for its customers to make reservations they stop going and that business fails. It's the same concept with CU athletics. Sorry, CU isn't Duke or Gonzaga or Kansas, students aren't going to camp out for tickets. Instead of complaining about it, let's recognize it and maximize our ability to get people in the door as easily as possible. That's what good businesses do.

You know I eat regularly at a thai place that has terrible service doesn't accept cash and often can't make change. Recently went to take out only. I keep wondering if it is some social experiment to see if people would keep coming back no matter how you treat them....until I try the food. It is so good and the best Thai in Denver by far probably top 10 best food in Denver. If only she treated her customers good.

I'm agreeing with you. The CU student customer is what it is. Let's deal with the reality of the situation. This customer is an entitled, self-important, shallowly-engaged fan who is pretty much only interested in leaving his dorm room if there's some sort of event that everyone else is saying is the place to be and a big party. They'll go if it's that, although they won't go out of their way to be there and will **** on the place if the event doesn't deliver or it's kind of a hassle to go but they get dragged there anyway. It's the type of customer who will go to an event, whether a game or a party, and spend his time ripping on how much it sucks to his friends (live or through the mobile phone he's glued to) rather than make an effort to have fun and bring the event up a notch.

So that is our customer. I'm not sure that was understood before and previously ignorant administrators were taught a lesson. Now they know. I am confident that they will work within that going forward, whereas before they were under the misguided belief that the customer genuinely cared about the product and shared a goal of bringing the fervor up to the level of a KU or UK or Duke when that is clearly not the case.

That description fits CU in general. It's not just the students, CU fans are fickle. It's not like the Keg and football games have been packed out by the ever loyal 35-50 demographic, who would never dream of being self entitled or shallow.

That description fits CU in general. It's not just the students, CU fans are fickle. It's not like the Keg and football games have been packed out by the ever loyal 35-50 demographic, who would never dream of being self entitled or shallow.

The older crowd is a tough nut, too. Only by joining the Pac-12 did it start looking like a passionate fanbase by comparison to west coast schools instead of midwest schools. The sad part right now is that we've got the west coast attitude toward fandom without seeing the west coast culture of the big money donations as these fans grow older and wealthier.

Hearing troubling rumors from the game tonight that one student got an unsalted pretzel when they asked for salted.

The older crowd is a tough nut, too. Only by joining the Pac-12 did it start looking like a passionate fanbase by comparison to west coast schools instead of midwest schools. The sad part right now is that we've got the west coast attitude toward fandom without seeing the west coast culture of the big money donations as these fans grow older and wealthier.

I'm no happy with it either, I obviously want every game to be sold out, but did you see the Stanford basketball game tonight? There had to be 2,000 people at the game total. We're doing much better than a lot of schools in the conference, even UCLA.

I'm no happy with it either, I obviously want every game to be sold out, but did you see the Stanford basketball game tonight? There had to be 2,000 people there total. We're doing much better than a lot of schools in the conference, even UCLA.

That comes up time and time again. That shouldn't be the measuring stick. Arizona having 14,000 against Fairleigh Dickinson on Tuesday night is the measuring stick (when we had 8,000 for Arkansas State)

I think the idea was that by doing it this way the woman would get more home support for a game that is going to go a long way to deciding their NCAA tournament fate (getting in and seed) while also helping to ensure that the more serious basketball fan students were in the Keg for the Kansas game.

What has been learned is that the students cannot be asked to go beyond what they consider the easiest and most desirable course of action for them, because they feel that they are bigger than any sports program, come first, and need to have their asses kissed. The AD and players should be on their knees giving thanks any time a student chooses attendance at a CU sporting event over his Xbox. The point has been made. Now we know. I expect that future policies and promotions will take this reality of the CU student population into consideration.
Yeah it started as a 2-for-1 type of deal -- give the women a better home court advantage and distribute tickets at the same time. Instead it turned into a bitch-and-whine fest. If only "fans" spent this time on real injustices in the world.

What students fail to get is that a more marquee ticket requires great sacrifices, usually financially speaking. CU obviously isn't going to say for $50 you can get your ticket to the KU game. But typically speaking as we've talked about teams make you buy better games in packages, have season ticket holders pay exhibition games, and charge more for better games. Why? Because they can. Really not too much different than other premium products, where you have to pay for associated fees.

Students also don't realize that at other schools they have much bigger sacrifices to make to obtain marquee tickets. I'm guessing many of the same people complaining haven't been to many if any games so far this year.

They pissed off plenty of customers when they raised their prices from their basement bargain levels to just bargain levels. You'll always piss people off when you make "business decisions." Are students not going to buy season tickets next year over this? You're right CU isn't Duke or Gonzaga, fans would've gladly taken going to a women's game over sitting out in the cold for a comparable game. It's also not the CU of a decade ago, where the KU game was the only one that was relevant and you only had to show up to the box office. Things have changed.

That comes up time and time again. That shouldn't be the measuring stick. Arizona having 14,000 against Fairleigh Dickinson on Tuesday night is the measuring stick (when we had 8,000 for Arkansas State)

Arizona basketball has been the major team of southern Arizona since the 80's, right? We haven't even been to the Sweet-16 yet. The Cardinals, Diamondbacks are all in Phoenix and they don't have to compete with those teams like CU does with Denver.

Arizona basketball has been the major team of southern Arizona since the 80's, right? We haven't even been to the Sweet-16 yet. The Cardinals, Diamondbacks are all in Phoenix and they don't have to compete with those teams like CU does with Denver.

:lol:

Pat yourself on the back that we out-draw Stanford, notorious for being the most pathetic fan base of any major conference school.

Nice to see our students aiming high. I hope you don't set the bar that low with your personal life goals "Making subs at Quiznos when I'm 47 isn't so bad, they give a steep discount on my lunch."

So not a "measuring stick" in your mind? We shouldn't aspire to that? Where would you suggest that we set this bar?

You know I eat regularly at a thai place that has terrible service doesn't accept cash and often can't make change. Recently went to take out only. I keep wondering if it is some social experiment to see if people would keep coming back no matter how you treat them....until I try the food. It is so good and the best Thai in Denver by far probably top 10 best food in Denver. If only she treated her customers good.
It's funny because sports is such a unique business. With your restaurant example, if the food is bad, most likely you aren't returning. Yeah there's exceptions like it's a bar that has every game in America, and the food is secondary.

But you stick (or are supposed to) with your teams through thick and thin. If CU were the normal business, it would've gone out of business with how it's football program was run. With the restaurant analogy, the entree has failed for most of the last decade. CU basketball is the appetizer that's good, not great. And it can't support the restaurant on it's own. Cross Country and skiing are amazing side dishes.

I think the idea was that by doing it this way the woman would get more home support for a game that is going to go a long way to deciding their NCAA tournament fate (getting in and seed) while also helping to ensure that the more serious basketball fan students were in the Keg for the Kansas game.

What has been learned is that the students cannot be asked to go beyond what they consider the easiest and most desirable course of action for them, because they feel that they are bigger than any sports program, come first, and need to have their asses kissed. The AD and players should be on their knees giving thanks any time a student chooses attendance at a CU sporting event over his Xbox. The point has been made. Now we know. I expect that future policies and promotions will take this reality of the CU student population into consideration.

How hard would it be on the hoops budget to install XBOnes and HD screens at each seat in the student section? Now that we know what the students prioritize, it really seems like good marketing to give it to them....

They pissed off plenty of customers when they raised their prices from their basement bargain levels to just bargain levels. You'll always piss people off when you make "business decisions." Are students not going to buy season tickets next year over this? You're right CU isn't Duke or Gonzaga, fans would've gladly taken going to a women's game over sitting out in the cold for a comparable game. It's also not the CU of a decade ago, where the KU game was the only one that was relevant and you only had to show up to the box office. Things have changed.

CU fans are fickle. I would rather make it easy and have people in the seats. I know it sounds like an unreasonable concession to bad fans, but until we have a demand that's big enough where the fickle fans get punished for stuff like this, we have to think about it strategically.

I'm not alone in thinking this was a weird event, a lot of people have been talking about it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...us-attendance-arbitrage?ex_cid=espnapi_public

So not a "measuring stick" in your mind? We shouldn't aspire to that? Where would you suggest that we set this bar?

No, I just don't think CU is in a comparable with Arizona right now. Maybe if we add 5,000 seats and have a winning tradition for 25 years. Right now I think 9-10,000 is a good average attendance for us.

Woe is me.

1qhbOE.AuSt.79.jpeg130123-duke-106.jpg20076975_BG1_0.jpg

Bet these students had far more going on camping out for a week than CU students missing out on a bowl and Xbox on a Wednesday night

Which fanbase isn't fickle? I mean I know Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan, Texas fans are loyal through thick and thin. If they had a CU-like run, I have a hard time believing they wouldn't suffer a serious backlash. Generally, when you are winning, fans show up and when you don't they stay home.

No, I just don't think CU is in a comparable with Arizona right now. Maybe if we add 5,000 seats and have a winning tradition for 25 years. Right now I think 9-10,000 is a good average attendance for us.
We're not, but we're trying to get there. Arizona wasn't Arizona pre-Lute as you pointed out.

CU fans are fickle. I would rather make it easy and have people in the seats. I know it sounds like an unreasonable concession to bad fans, but until we have a demand that's big enough where the fickle fans get punished for stuff like this, we have to think about it strategically.

I'm not alone in thinking this was a weird event, a lot of people have been talking about it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...us-attendance-arbitrage?ex_cid=espnapi_public
The fact so many fans went to the game last night even begrudgingly shows the demand was there. If it wasn't, fans would've taken their chances in the lottery.

Woe is me.

Bet these students had far more going on camping out for a week than CU students missing out on a bowl and Xbox on a Wednesday night

That isn't CU. I don't know what the answer is to creating a rabid fanbase, but complaining about the students and trying to force a sports culture that doesn't exist it isn't going to do anything.

Tucson also isn't exactly suburban Phoenix. CU does have more competition being a major area in a pro sports environment competing with them and other things for disposable income. At the same point by that standard, UCLA and USC should have it worse with all the things going on in LA and it's even more of pro sports town I'd say.

That isn't CU. I don't know what the answer is to creating a rabid fanbase, but complaining about the students and trying to force a sports culture that doesn't exist it isn't going to do anything.

And comparing CU to the school with the worst fan base in the country and saying "hey! we are getting more fans than them!" isn't part of the solution either. Instead of just saying "it is what it is!", how about doing your part to change the culture. Believe it or not, the students before you worked extremely hard to get CU basketball support out of the doldrums and into one of the better fan bases in the West. They didn't just accept the **** attendance, they went about changing it.

The fact students begrudgingly showed up last night shows the demand is there, despite your immature actions.

:lol:

Pat yourself on the back that we out-draw Stanford, notorious for being the most pathetic fan base of any major conference school.

Nice to see our students aiming high. I hope you don't set the bar that low with your personal life goals "Making subs at Quiznos when I'm 47 isn't so bad, they give a steep discount on my lunch."
The problem to me isn't so much the quantity atleast going by paid, it's the quality. You can come up with a bunch of excuses, but it's just so different than last year in terms of the environment even for OOC games. Yes, it's still better than 5+ years ago, but that's not something we aspire for.

The problem to me isn't so much the quantity atleast going by paid, it's the quality. You can come up with a bunch of excuses, but it's just so different than last year in terms of the environment even for OOC games. Yes, it's still better than 5+ years ago, but that's not something we aspire for.

It's definitely troubling that attendance is taking a trip back to the fall of '09 during a year where CU has its best team on paper in years.

And comparing CU to the school with the worst fan base in the country and saying "hey! we are getting more fans than them!" isn't part of the solution either. Instead of just saying "it is what it is!", how about doing your part to change the culture. Believe it or not, the students before you worked extremely hard to get CU basketball support out of the doldrums and into one of the better fan bases in the West. They didn't just accept the **** attendance, they went about changing it.

The fact students begrudgingly showed up last night shows the demand is there, despite your immature actions.

I'm not a student anymore, I graduated this year (unfortunately)

I've made all of the basketball and football games so far this year, I'm not sure what I can do beyond that. I was part of those students that "worked to get CU out of the doldrums", even when we still sucked in 2009. I was in the marching band, and on the CU crew team, I even sat through all but one of the games in the 1-11 football season (I was out of town).

I bleed black and gold.

Being a realist does not conflate to being immature. (not sure how I'm being immature anyways) You need to understand the mentality of the CU student. Yes many of them are douchers, but you have to work around it to get them into the games and not force the issue with weird events like we saw the other night.

All things considered CU basketball attendance has been pretty damn good recently, not a lot of people pack out their arenas in November.

Last edited:

I could maybe support this argument, if CU students were packing in the CEC for the men's games. But considering that isn't really happening to this point, I would have done it for a early season men's game. Also, I imagine the women's team wants people that genuinely want to be there, and aren't doing it just for KU tickets.

I'm not a student anymore, I graduated this year (unfortunately)

I've made all of the basketball and football games so far this year, I'm not sure what I can do beyond that. I was part of those students that "worked to get CU out of the doldrums", even when we still sucked in 2009. I was in the marching band, and on the CU crew team, I even sat through all but one of the games in 1-11 football season (I was out of town).

I bleed black and gold.

Being a realist does not conflate to being immature. (not sure how I'm being immature anyways) You need to understand the mentality of the CU student. Yes many of them are douchers, but you have to work around it to get them into the games.

All things considered CU basketball attendance has been pretty damn good recently, not a lot of people pack out their arenas in November.
I agree it's been good compared to where it once was. Just compared to last year it wasn't. For all but maybe a few games, fans packed Coors and it was rocking. That's just not the case this year. And there's an excuse for every single game -- whether it's the Broncos, too many events in such a short time period, the weather, academics, taking care of the dog. For whatever reason, you didn't hear about all these excuses last year.

Excuses are just that, people have priorities. For most people, it's apparent CU basketball, especially OOC games against non-marquee opponents on week days aren't at the top of most people's list. The Broncos played the opening game this year on a weeknight. Why didn't they have trouble selling that game because it's such a priority for most people that they'll find a babysitter, put off homework, and go out of their way on a weeknight. Again, people who choose not to go to CU basketball games aren't bad people. They just don't have the, "Screw ___, I'm going to the basketball game tonight)

Obviously Allbuffs doesn't represent most of the CU fanbase, since for many CU sports is just a diversion, not so much an obsession like it is for many here.

I could maybe support this argument, if CU students were packing in the CEC for the men's games. But considering that isn't really happening to this point, I would have done it for a early season men's game. Also, I imagine the women's team wants people that genuinely want to be there, and aren't doing it just for KU tickets.

I guess I'm weird. I thought that the students who cared about hoops would simply take in a women's game, cheer on the team, and pick up their tickets at the end. Thought it was a win-win way to go about things. It's how I would have gone about things as a student. I'm having a difficult time understanding the reaction of the students. Is it that they consider women's basketball to be so incredibly uncool that going to a game is perceived as a sort of punishment to them?

Back