What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Takeaways from the Rocky Mountain Beatdown

Not really sure it's up to him. Besides, I think he'd rather win the game than lose cause he wouldn't come out. I think he's a leader, and that he would see the light pretty quick.

Agree that Montez isn't as big as swopes (not sure any QB in college is) but it's the fact that he's a better runner. Also agree it is a role that Awini could fill once he is back, but the other advantage to this is that it would get Montez on the field in more games, not just blow outs.

Not sure getting Montez into games just so he can play running back actually helps him develop as a QB.

Not really sure it's up to him. Besides, I think he'd rather win the game than lose cause he wouldn't come out. I think he's a leader, and that he would see the light pretty quick.

Agree that Montez isn't as big as swopes (not sure any QB in college is) but it's the fact that he's a better runner. Also agree it is a role that Awini could fill once he is back, but the other advantage to this is that it would get Montez on the field in more games, not just blow outs.
I'm not sure that it's up to him either but so far the coaching staff has given in when push comes to shove. Sideline reporter on Friday's game said he was arguing with the coaching staff about going back in after taking the shot in the fourth quarter. There was also the time last year when he had no business going back into a game but he ran out and sent Apsay back to the sideline.

Not sure getting Montez into games just so he can play running back actually helps him develop as a QB.

Whether it's Montez or Awini, just putting either in for running plays is silly. If there is no threat of a pass, then the running plays aren't likely to be successful anyway. I'm all for giving either of them some play time, just to spell Sefo if he needs it - but treat them as full QBs with most of the playbook ready to go. I really thought that Montez or Gehrke would get to play in the 4th quarter last week just as a reward for working hard in the program.

Whether it's Montez or Awini, just putting either in for running plays is silly. If there is no threat of a pass, then the running plays aren't likely to be successful anyway. I'm all for giving either of them some play time, just to spell Sefo if he needs it - but treat them as full QBs with most of the playbook ready to go. I really thought that Montez or Gehrke would get to play in the 4th quarter last week just as a reward for working hard in the program.
Well Awini is injured currently, and Montez did get time in the 4th. Just not much.

I think him getting to see defenses in real life, make the play call, run the ball does help more than watching from the sidelines. Besides, he doesn't always HAVE to run, refer back to the Tebow stuff.

I just hate the concept of him coming in next year after basically 2 red shirt years. If CSU is any indication, we won't be giving him too many series of his own. And only handing off to the RB or taking a knee doesn't do much, either.

Personally, I'd give him at least 1 series per half in EVERY game, unless we are really in a battle with MI, ORE, Stanford, etc and Sefo is having another banner game. Seems like every good team that I watch with a Sr. QB and a soph / jr in waiting does this. OSU won a title swapping QBs all the time.

I think him getting to see defenses in real life, make the play call, run the ball does help more than watching from the sidelines. Besides, he doesn't always HAVE to run, refer back to the Tebow stuff.

I just hate the concept of him coming in next year after basically 2 red shirt years. If CSU is any indication, we won't be giving him too many series of his own. And only handing off to the RB or taking a knee doesn't do much, either.

Personally, I'd give him at least 1 series per half in EVERY game, unless we are really in a battle with MI, ORE, Stanford, etc and Sefo is having another banner game. Seems like every good team that I watch with a Sr. QB and a soph / jr in waiting does this. OSU won a title swapping QBs all the time.

Watching any CFB this weekend you would have noticed that only 2 teams in the top 25 was successful rotating QB's.

I agree, I want Montez to get more time playing, and I think he will this year. My guess is this weekend he will get some good minutes and I hope against OSU we can see him some.

You can also do it too much. Auburn apparently confused themselves as much as anything, but they were switching mid-series, too.

Part of me is also greedy, I didn't get to see any of the preseason camp stuff, so I have no idea what he looks like in game, but I still think it would be best to get him more than 2-3 quarters of play this entire season.

Watching any CFB this weekend you would have noticed that only 2 teams in the top 25 was successful rotating QB's.
You can't see "snaps taken" for QBs in the box score. You can see if more than one quarterback attempted to throw the ball. You can't see if the attempt was in garbage time or while the game was competitive.

With those caveats, 11 of the top 25 teams had at least two quarterbacks who threw passes this past weekend, and there were 107 quarterbacks who threw passes for the 65 P5 teams (incl ND). As the sharp observer will notice, Montez is not included in that 107 - so the statistic actually understates the number of QBs who took took snaps in games.

Playing multiple QBs is probably more common than @Shldr2Shldr thinks it is, and is less common than @ZandiBuff thinks it is. And, not to pick nits, but I don't think playing your backup QB for one series per half is "rotating QBs;" IMO "rotating QBs" is when they are both getting 1/3 or more of the snaps, which I think rarely works well.

Just found this, for those who were wondering:

Laguda moved up in the lineup early in camp when regular starting free safety Ryan Moeller suffered a sprained ankle. Moeller is recovered and is playing again, but the CU coaching staff started Laguda as they are bringing Moeller back slowly.

Just found this, for those who were wondering:

Laguda moved up in the lineup early in camp when regular starting free safety Ryan Moeller suffered a sprained ankle. Moeller is recovered and is playing again, but the CU coaching staff started Laguda as they are bringing Moeller back slowly.

Yeah. Moeller was limited the last week of practice after being held out of a few. Plus, he's working his way back from that moped injury last season so they're taking it slowly with him.

You can't see "snaps taken" for QBs in the box score. You can see if more than one quarterback attempted to throw the ball. You can't see if the attempt was in garbage time or while the game was competitive.

With those caveats, 11 of the top 25 teams had at least two quarterbacks who threw passes this past weekend, and there were 107 quarterbacks who threw passes for the 65 P5 teams (incl ND). As the sharp observer will notice, Montez is not included in that 107 - so the statistic actually understates the number of QBs who took took snaps in games.

Playing multiple QBs is probably more common than @Shldr2Shldr thinks it is, and is less common than @ZandiBuff thinks it is. And, not to pick nits, but I don't think playing your backup QB for one series per half is "rotating QBs;" IMO "rotating QBs" is when they are both getting 1/3 or more of the snaps, which I think rarely works well.
What is the old saying, if you have 2 QBs, you don't have any?

I agree that true rotation sucks, kinda like what we did with RBs last year. Definitely not what I'm advocating here.

What is the old saying, if you have 2 QBs, you don't have any?

I agree that true rotation sucks, kinda like what we did with RBs last year. Definitely not what I'm advocating here.
agree ^^ but, ut did a great job with their QB rotation vs nd

That will definitely be on the Big-12 brochure, right next to "Rams own the State"
Drew Soicher will definitively declare CSU "the best football program in the state" while using that image in the "still of the night".

Being fairly new to the forums still, is having bad ideas and/or vague takes and then beating them into the ground a common in season thing or is it because we won and it's bringing posters out of hiding?

Being fairly new to the forums still, is having bad ideas and/or vague takes and then beating them into the ground a common in season thing or is it because we won and it's bringing posters out of hiding?

Most of us are idots, but that doesn't stop anyone from coming strong with his hot takes or stubbornly digging in no matter the evidence to the contrary. (y)

Oh, we're just getting started!

quarterback-sefo-liufau-of-the-colorado-buffaloes-hoists-the-trophy-picture-id598759632

Back