What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Takeaways from the Rocky Mountain Beatdown

Normally this game is as focused and emotionally high as CSU gets all year, this is the big game in their schedule.

Even when they lose by fairly close margins they can excuse themselves into thinking that a couple breaks, an officials call, etc. would have made them winners.

This year they won't have that. They came in emotionally high but were flat out dominated from the first play until CU called off the dogs in the second half. At no time and in no way can it be said that CSU was even competitive in the game.

Does this years beating carry over to next year causing them to question if they have a real chance to win the game? Do they get pumped up again next thinking this was an aberration only to have CU stuff a couple drives down them bursting the bubble again and making them emotionally quit?

We need to finish off the remaining games of this series in similar beatdown fashion. Take away any illusion that CSU and CU are in any way comparable programs. Make it a game that CSU fans don't want to see and don't want to be reminded of.
Next year will bring a new of circumstances to the RMS. CU will start a new QB and the defense will lose some key assets. There could be changes to the coaching staff too. It's a wildcard IMO.

Normally this game is as focused and emotionally high as CSU gets all year, this is the big game in their schedule.

Even when they lose by fairly close margins they can excuse themselves into thinking that a couple breaks, an officials call, etc. would have made them winners.

This year they won't have that. They came in emotionally high but were flat out dominated from the first play until CU called off the dogs in the second half. At no time and in no way can it be said that CSU was even competitive in the game.

Does this years beating carry over to next year causing them to question if they have a real chance to win the game? Do they get pumped up again next thinking this was an aberration only to have CU stuff a couple drives down them bursting the bubble again and making them emotionally quit?

We need to finish off the remaining games of this series in similar beatdown fashion. Take away any illusion that CSU and CU are in any way comparable programs. Make it a game that CSU fans don't want to see and don't want to be reminded of.
amen brother

Emotionally CSU will be fine. What might carry over to next year is the fact that I saw pretty much no talent on that roster outside of Dawkins, Davis, and Gallup.... And Davis is a senior. Even those guys aren't the high end players from years past. Usually we see the glimpse of a few guys who will give CU fits for the next 4 years, and I didn't see that at all.

Emotionally CSU will be fine. What might carry over to next year is the fact that I saw pretty much no talent on that roster of Dawkins, Davis, and Gallup.... And Davis is a senior. Even those guys aren't the high end players from years past. Usually we see the glimpse of a few guys who will give CU fits for the next 4 years, and I didn't see that at all.

Agree with you about the talent issue. Unless they can bring in some good Jucos they are in big trouble and Jucos can't fill all the holes in that line-up.

I do question them emotionally though. Normally their coaches can sell them on the idea that if they had made this block or that tackle or knocked down this pass they could have been in position to win the game. That won't be there this year. So if they had made that play it would have been 44-14, CU would have had to wait one more drive to put the score at 44. Everyone on the field saw that one team was completely superior to the other, enough that it can't be ignored.

CSU might overcome it in preparation and come out on fire but as soon as CU gets up by a couple scores I think CSU knows it over and loses any edge they have.

Yeah, maybe.... But CU has lost the year following any blowout victory.

True, and it could work against CU with the Buffs thinking the game will be a walk over.

Could argue though that in those years the Sheep had much better teams and coaching.

It looks like there's a team speed advantage for CU that has gotten pretty significant and will widen next year based on recruiting.

Next year is going to be a lot about how well CU replaces so much from the 2-deep on defense and breaks in a new QB.

They are pretty confident Key is going to be a stud and an answer to all of their problems.

After watching the game a second time:

Lindsay sure did like to run off of Lynott in this game. Either through his hole on the right side or off his butt when Lynott pulled & whammed. Lynott is a good pulling guard(quick & built like a square block of granite). Kough, good but not quite as effective when pulling. Wiefels looked good as a sub. Got a little depth developing as I thought Huckins would be 1st off the bench here.

Bobo and Jmac can really block downfield. Nice to see.

Hard to criticize Sefo when he was named O player of the week but we did leave a few TDs on the table.

Gillam played a lot more than I had at first thought. He was a bit rusty but showed good closing speed when needed. I thought he struggled by letting the OL get into him and control him. Needs to shed that block or avoid a bit earlier earlier in the play. Gambo and Oleebodee played really well.

Moeller looked a bit rusty as well but Laguda looked really fast & strong(as did all other dbs). He did get burned for the TD though. Not really his fault as he got no inside help due to a good formation by CSU. They showed strong right to pull our LBs over and then had twins or trips left and ran an outside-in pick play to the middle leaving Afo kinda helpless because Chido blitzed the QB. Bowta made a good read.

All in all Colarada showed well and answered a few question marks.

I'm familiar with Mtn's posts. I think he's used more words in one post than Duff has in a year. Not a knock on either, because they both have good stuff most of the time, especially when it's bickering with each other.

It's funny how after reading so many posts from people, you come up with an idea of how you think they look. It makes me wonder if I really want to actually meet anyone on here in person at sackygate or wherever and ruin the awesome assumptions I have.
I'm pretty sure Mtnbuff is Grizzly Adams. Except he rides a Buffalo.

I'm ready for the flame spray - but on the drives that we settled for field goals, I was totally underwhelmed by the play calls that got us to 4th down. I thought the Texas Tech inject would get all crazy and we would put the ball in the endzone. Maybe we were holding onto some of those plays or tougher competition, but I truly feel like 50 points is a statement. I was little disappointed we didn't get there. And as well as the D played, I was little disappointed that we let them score. A shutout could have gone a long way in the psyche of these players.
However, I don't mind how much Liufau ran. I think it is a little bit of a shock to CU fans, but in college, that's what it takes.

[QUOTE="CUAviator, post: 2053062, but on the drives that we settled for field goals, I was totally underwhelmed by the play calls that got us to 4th down. I thought the Texas Tech inject would get all crazy and we would put the ball in the endzone. [/QUOTE]

That is the Lindgrening effect. A Mac2 disciple/protege/adopted son.

Hoping they been saving 75% of the real or perceived new TT offense.

I haven't scrolled through every single post but I don't think anyone has mentioned what a huge huge game Carrell had. That guy seemed to always beat his man and get some pressure or push back. Seemed to keep containment. Just my two cents but thought he was very very impressive.

Allbuffs' consensus is Mac's recruiting until this year has been sub-par, but CSU's has sucked. The talent differential was pretty large this year and only looks to get larger...2 different trajectories.

Not only is our recruiting now much better than CSU's is, but it's been much better for the last five years.

There's a very good chance that the talent differential will be as bad or worse for the remainder of the series. I really don't think CSU has the horses to compete with CU anymore. That ship has sailed. We have three more games against them in Denver. I expect similar results every year.

Not only is our recruiting now much better than CSU's is, but it's been much better for the last five years.

There's a very good chance that the talent differential will be as bad or worse for the remainder of the series. I really don't think CSU has the horses to compete with CU anymore. That ship has sailed. We have three more games against them in Denver. I expect similar results every year.
Selfishly hoping that RG allows CSU to switch their option to host the game in FoCo to next year. I really want to be there first home loss in that new stadium.

Next year is going to be the toughest, I think. CSU will have a very veteran team while CU is transitioning QBs and breaking in a new DL and at least 2 new starting DBs. If they can't catch the Buffs in the 2017 opener, it could very quickly turn into what West Virginia vs Marshall looked like as a rivalry series.

Next year is going to be the toughest, I think. CSU will have a very veteran team while CU is transitioning QBs and breaking in a new DL and at least 2 new starting DBs. If they can't catch the Buffs in the 2017 opener, it could very quickly turn into what West Virginia vs Marshall looked like as a rivalry series.
Could be. I think Montez has more football talent than Sefo does, though. It'll be his third year in the program and there won't be any part of the playbook he doesn't know. We aren't losing anybody other than Sefo on the offensive side of the ball, and you have to like JMFL running the defense, even if it's with some turnover. I'll admit I'm concerned about losing Tupou. He will be hard to replace.

Could be. I think Montez has more football talent than Sefo does, though. It'll be his third year in the program and there won't be any part of the playbook he doesn't know. We aren't losing anybody other than Sefo on the offensive side of the ball, and you have to like JMFL running the defense, even if it's with some turnover. I'll admit I'm concerned about losing Tupou. He will be hard to replace.
And Chido and Thompson for sure. I do like our DB recruiting as of late, though, so those might be more easily transitioned than Tupou.

And Chido and Thompson for sure. I do like our DB recruiting as of late, though, so those might be more easily transitioned than Tupou.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about next season if they could bring in a JUCO NT. I think Franke is more suited to the DT role and would thrive there. I'm not confident in Lopez. I think Tuiloma came in very raw and is probably another year or so away from reaching his potential and being what we need in a NT in this defense. To me, that's the biggest remaining need in this recruiting class. I want a JUCO NT and I want a Safety who can challenge for an immediate starting role. There are other needs, but those are the two signings that would raise my confidence a ton for 2017.

Takeaways?
How about few penalties called on the Buffs and only no game changing mistakes? Seems like in previous seasons CU would have momentum and a lead only to shoot themselves in the foot.

Agreed with all the others about the red zone and lack of touchdowns. But was it the result poor play calling or being cautious and knowing they can await to pull out all the stops at Michigan?

Also, I was going nuts when Sefo stayed in the game when it was clearly over. That may have actually in the first half :sneaky: but regardless, he shouldn't have been in the game in the fourth quarter. Yes, I know he may see very little time this Saturday, but still . . .

CSU fans don't seem too excited for their home opener vs UTSA. Tons of tickets available on StubHub for $6.

Back