What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

I didn’t think about this until now, but ND is ranked 6th right now. Bama and one of Michigan/Cincy/OSU lose this weekend and they would be in the playoff. No way the committee puts them in with an interim right?

????

Are you assuming that both Venables and Elliott leave for HC opportunities or is this in reference to something else?

Clemson has benefited greatly from other programs who *should* be better than they are more than anyone (arguably). Add in a little vulnerability and it is not crazy to think 10-3 might be more of the new norm than one-loss teams we have seen.

Clemson has benefited greatly from other programs who *should* be better more than anyone (arguably). Add in a little vulnerability and it is not crazy to think 10-3 might be more of the new norm than one-loss teams we have seen.
This season may actually may be one of Dabo’s best coaching jobs. They were flat out awful to start the season. Now they’re back to being Clemson. The Wake game was particularly amazing since they’re the only team who has stopped Wake’s offense all season.

I agree. It seems like Venables has declined to even interview for open jobs and his name has come up plenty of times.

His leaving OU was not all that pleasant. He had been very loyal to Bob Stoops coming to OU with him from KSU. He held the role AHC/DC/LB coach from 2004-2011 when in 2012 Bob announced that his brother Mike (recently fired at AZ) was coming back to OU as co-DC and was going to be calling the defense. A couple of weeks later Venables took the DC job with Clemson. A lot of OU fans had wanted Venables fired because OU was giving up a lot of points.

Except that big game Bob (as he's known down here) was dc at Florida before taking the norman gig.

That said, many of the land thieve faithful were happy to see Venables leave. Odd that there's been a 180 on the attitude towards him now that he might be a candidate for HC. Does he really want to be a HC? Not sure.

This has been the most exciting, surprising, big name (schools and coaches) coaching carousel I’ve ever witnessed! The escalation is salaries is mind boggling and further separates the big dogs from the puppies.
And the puppies from the … I don’t even know what the **** we are anymore.

And the puppies from the … I don’t even know what the **** we are anymore.

four-days-old-puppy-95882865-5c758c2cc9e77c00012f80ce.jpg

About what I figured. Expect the next CU HC to need to be in the $5M/per range.

Football Scoop:
TCU: Sonny Dykes and TCU reached a 6-year agreement worth about $30 million with a buyout in the $8 million range, per the Star Telegram.

I'm now hoping ND makes the playoff and Freeman pulls a Steve Fisher and wins it all.
I was gonna ask something similar. If it were me, I wouldn't want to play for him, he could stay his ass at home as far as I'm concerned. I never played for a coach in my life though, just the guys that go to work with you everyday. I think the thing that pisses me off the most is, why can't you just get them together and be straight with them? It sounds like the pussy move Nick Saban made when he left Miami. Notes in lockers, wtf ever man.

I didn’t think about this until now, but ND is ranked 6th right now. Bama and one of Michigan/Cincy/OSU lose this weekend and they would be in the playoff. No way the committee puts them in with an interim right?

I really don’t think that should matter.

Except at CU it'll be a $30 million buyout for some reason
The article didn’t really specify, but I’m guessing the $8 million buyout is the cost of Dykes leaving for another job, not the cost for TCU to fire him. Most likely TCU would owe what is left on the contract. CU screwed up by not having a hefty buyout for Tucker to leave (and obviously by overpaying KD). I think it was something comical like $500K for Mel to leave after only one year. CSU put a $5 million buyout on McElwain and at least got paid when he left for Florida.

I do. The coach is a big part of what makes the team good.

I don’t think it’s their job to speculate on the consequences a coaching change could have or draw inferences. Same could be said if there’s an injury.

But then the problem is that there is no guideline for who should be picked so everyone has his own criteria and mine is who is most deserving based on what they’ve shown in their games so far this season.

Back