What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Pregame thread

UCLA is getting a couple of key interior lineman (one offense, one defense) back from injury. I think the Buffs will win, but don't discount this game. If Speight starts, it could give them a lift. As most know, he was the Michigan QB in the 2016 game vs. Buffs at the Big House.
Maybe I'm just gun shy but I see this game being closer than the 10 point spread. I can see scenarios on both sides with UCLA's QB's. One where Speight comes back and gives them a lift and another where Thompson-Robinson gives us fits like other running QB's have.

I'm hoping the Buffs come out on fire and take UCLA's will from the start. If the Buffs can start fast I can see UCLA giving up. If not, it could be a nail biter like most of the recent games against UCLA have been.

Are DTRs rushing abilities being blown a bit out if proportion? Obviously including sacks, but on the year he has 24 attempts for 31 yards... Not exactly intimidating.

I happen to believe that Chiv hasn't played all of his cards yet. He created a two headed monster in lining up Shenault & McM in the wild cat. One was a 4* dual threat QB out of HS, the rest of the season is going to be a lot fun to watch.
I like that formation since Shenault is physical as hell. Idk how much I'd run it now? McM, I would.

Last edited:
UCLA has a very good true soph corner in Darnay Holmes (5 star recruit). Some online fan pundits predict that they will just put Holmes on Laviska and try to limit him that way. The problem with this thinking is that Shenault can play 5 positions (outside, slot, H-back, RB, Wildcat QB) and there is no way to shadow him without opening it up for other receivers.

UCLA has a very good true soph corner in Darnay Holmes (5 star recruit). Some online fan pundits predict that they will just put Holmes on Laviska and try to limit him that way. The problem with this thinking is that Shenault can play 5 positions (outside, slot, H-back, RB, Wildcat QB) and there is no way to shadow him without opening it up for other receivers.
Got to think that they scheme to keep the ball away from Viska.

Need our other playmakers to step up. I'm betting Nixon goes large on Friday

Bingo, that's probably what they'll try to do too. Shenault will probably get his regardless. Ucla is a damn dumpster fire right about now. Bust their ass in the mouth early, it'll probably be easy. Let them hang around, asking for trouble.

Last edited:
SIAP, but this is a good LA Daily News piece, talks about how UCLA gets 2 very important offensive players back from suspension this game.
Sounds like they will get their #1 center back, moving their center to guard and guard to tackle. Sounds chaotic, but if center has been a problem which I'm pretty sure it has been given how they keep missing blitzes, could be a big change. Tagaloa had been a DT and moved to Center this offseason.
Tagaloa, the first player in De La Salle High history to play varsity football as a freshman, played offensive tackle in high school while also turning into one of the top defensive line prospects in the country. He played in 24 games as a defensive lineman at UCLA, including eight starts, and collected 51 total tackles, but switched to center during winter workouts and also worked at guard this summer.

We'll see how CU is prepared to handle two very good tight ends as well, which would seem to favor a QB like Speight, unless they are going to try to run power football (which is the way Mora was trying to build the team).

C
SIAP, but this is a good LA Daily News piece, talks about how UCLA gets 2 very important offensive players back from suspension this game.
Sounds like they will get their #1 center back, moving their center to guard and guard to tackle. Sounds chaotic, but if center has been a problem which I'm pretty sure it has been given how they keep missing blitzes, could be a big change. Tagaloa had been a DT and moved to Center this offseason.

We'll see how CU is prepared to handle two very good tight ends as well, which would seem to favor a QB like Speight, unless they are going to try to run power football (which is the way Mora was trying to build the team).
cant rember the last time I preferred a team to try and run power at us.

He might turn into something good, but UCLA has to be worried about someone making their first start at center on the road in a conference game. I wouldn't really expect this kid to come in and just suddenly solve their protection issues in one game.

I had three concerns for this team before the year, and I think only one has been alleviated somewhat at this point. The other two concern me a bit still against the improved talent this week, but a lot more against better teams ahead.

Feeling better about :
1.) Montez developing/not tunnel visioning on a certain route - he's looked much improved and Roper seems to be a huge help to his progress.

Still concerning:
2.) Defense - I don't think any of us were impressed with Eliot last year. I wasn't in love with his philosophy or feel for play calling, let alone his demeanor. We've been a bit more aggressive, but I'm still not impressed. My biggest concern was lack of pass rush and yardage given up. We have 10 sacks this year, but 5 were against NH. CSU and NU lines have looked pretty mediocre against other competition. Mustafa Johnson has pretty much been the lone bright spot there. Lack of OLB pass rush should be a concern. We'll see how we progress there as the year goes on.
We are giving up 373 yards per game, 158 rush yards per game. This includes the only 270 total yards given up to NH. So even though it hasn't showed up on the scoreboard, we're giving up too many yards. One positive is the turnovers, but we can't rely on that week to week. Hopefully as Lewis/Taylor get used to their roles on the outside and as the youngins (Wells/Callier/Antwine/Lang) progress we can improve there.

3.) O-line. I think this has been well documented on here.

This game just feels like it has trap potential. I'm concerned our defensive shortcomings have been masked by huge turnovers, bad teams, and some ridiculous play by Landman.

Edit: I still think we win this game, but I'm still pretty concerned about some of our holes on this team going forward.

Last edited:
Still concerning:
2.) Defense - I don't think any of us were impressed with Eliot last year. I wasn't in love with his philosophy or feel for play calling, let alone his demeanor. We've been a bit more aggressive, but I'm still not impressed. My biggest concern was lack of pass rush and yardage given up. We have 10 sacks this year, but 5 were against NH. CSU and NU lines have looked pretty mediocre against other competition. Mustafa Johnson has pretty much been the lone bright spot there. Lack of OLB pass rush should be a concern. We'll see how we progress there as the year goes on.
We are giving up 373 yards per game, 158 rush yards per game. This includes the only 270 total yards given up to NH. So even though it hasn't showed up on the scoreboard, we're giving up too many yards. One positive is the turnovers, but we can't rely on that week to week. Hopefully as Lewis/Taylor get used to their roles on the outside and as the youngins (Wells/Callier/Antwine/Lang) progress we can improve there.
One road game where they gave up yards. So far it's an outlier.

I had three concerns for this team before the year, and I think only one has been alleviated somewhat at this point. The other two concern me a bit still against the improved talent this week, but a lot more against better teams ahead.

Feeling better about :
1.) Montez developing/not tunnel visioning on a certain route - he's looked much improved and Roper seems to be a huge help to his progress.

Still concerning:

3.) O-line. I think this has been well documented on here.

This game just feels like it has trap potential. I'm concerned our defensive shortcomings have been masked by huge turnovers, bad teams, and some ridiculous play by Landman.

Edit: I still think we win this game, but I'm still pretty concerned about some of our holes on this team going forward.
Points matter not yards. I don't care if they give up 1,000 yards a game and win the rest of the their games. It's about points. Notice how we are top 3 in the pac-12 in % of opponents drives ending in points?

Last edited:
Mr. Big Iron Buff, I share most of your views. As for OLB rush, I see good things going forward. Drew Lewis is a freak athlete (and the team leader in tackles last season) who got moved to a brand new position to accommodate Landman. Davion Taylor (who already has two fumble recoveries and a TD) is flat-out the fastest football player in the PAC over 100 meters. The guy is playing in only his third season of organized football, ever. There is a big potential upside at that position group as the season goes on.

I do actually have a concern with Landman in that most of his disruptive plays have come when he shoots a gap and gets into the backfield, explosively, in what appear to be brilliant reads.

I am just not sure that he's as good at play diagnosis as he's been. Seems more like Roulette?

Seems succeptible to play action and I'd expect UCLA to test that big time this game. Expect plays designed to exploit this.

I do actually have a concern with Landman in that most of his disruptive plays have come when he shoots a gap and gets into the backfield, explosively, in what appear to be brilliant reads.

I am just not sure that he's as good at play diagnosis as he's been. Seems more like Roulette?

Seems succeptible to play action and I'd expect UCLA to test that big time this game. Expect plays designed to exploit this.
Landman has two interceptions already as well. His explosive plays are not limited to playing roulette to get in the backfield.

What I see is not him guessing, but having the rare ability to diagnosis a play and then immediately sell out 100% to get there quickly.

Last edited:
Landman has two interceptions already as well. His explosive plays are not limited to playing roulette to get in the backfield.

What I see is not him guessing, but having the rare ability to diagnosis a play and then immediately sell out 100% to get their quickly.
He diagnoses a play pretty quick, therefore, he'll play fast.

What I see is not him guessing, but having the rare ability to diagnosis a play and then immediately sell out 100% to get their quickly.
Does he call his own blitzes?

The players just cannot think they are 10 points better than ucla. They must have the attitude this game will be a dogfight. Hopefully we will roll, but ...

One road game where they gave up yards. So far it's an outlier.
Haha an outlier? We've played 3 games. Tough to label something a statistical outlier with 3 data points. My point is, we had a team last year under Eliot that statistically gave up a lot of yards. We gave up a ton of yards against the one P5 team we played. I agree this defense is improved, but we certainly can't say how much at this point. I'm just pointing out some of my concerns.
Points matter not yards. I don't care if they give up 1,000 yards a game and win the rest of the their games. It's about points. Notice how we are top 3 in the pac-12 in % of opponents drives ending in points?
Uh, yeah, I understand points matter. The point you're missing here is that yards translate to points generally speaking and over an entirety of a season. It's not a coincidence that the best defenses in points against are almost always the best in yards against. You let teams move the ball into your territory at a high percentage, they are going to score at a higher percentage regardless of your defensive red zone efficiency and proclivity to force turnovers. If you think we're in the clear and shouldn't at least have some concern over our defense over the past 15 games in DJ Eliot's tenure you have your head in the sand. I'm in the wait and see on the defense right now.

Back