What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Pregame thread

No talk about running up the score. UCLA has a lot of talented players and experienced coaches who are just desperate for a win. They are coming off a bye as well, so they will be healthy and prepared. One thing I like is that the game is on a Friday, so due to classes, etc., UCLA probably can't justify flying out an extra day earlier to acclimate to the altitude, whereas they might have done so for a Saturday game.

No talk about running up the score. UCLA has a lot of talented players and experienced coaches who are just desperate for a win. They are coming off a bye as well, so they will be healthy and prepared. One thing I like is that the game is on a Friday, so due to classes, etc., UCLA probably can't justify flying out an extra day earlier to acclimate to the altitude, whereas they might have done so for a Saturday game.

How long did they have to prepare for Cincinnati at the Rose Bowl?

Which year did Fresneck just obliterate us?
To honest, I would worry more about playing Fresno State than UCLA at this point. They won 11 games last year (including Boise and Houston in a bowl game), and won their WAC division. Extremely well-coached and have a very good QB. Fresno State was actually favored on the road at the Rose Bowl last week. The only surprise was how much they beat the spread.

Prepared? They are concentrating on qb’s dad going full tweet storm on Chip. Gotta be a united and focused locker room.

To honest, I would worry more about playing Fresno State than UCLA at this point. They won 11 games last year (including Boise and Houston in a bowl game), and won their WAC division. Extremely well-coached and have a very good QB. Fresno State was actually favored on the road at the Rose Bowl last week. The only surprise was how much they beat the spread.
Cal is like, "son of a..."

I hate to be the guy, but...
UCLA has some good athletes. They have stunk up the joint, but have a bye week to prepare (as do we).
Boulder will be rocking. But this won't be a blow out.
Can we just put this altitude stuff to rest? Specifically P5 teams, but most modern college athletes in general these days, are not that affected by it from what I've seen. This isn't the 50s anymore where just growing up on a farm in Nebraska was good enough to get you scholly.

Can we just put this altitude stuff to rest? Specifically P5 teams, but most modern college athletes in general these days, are not that affected by it from what I've seen. This isn't the 50s anymore where just growing up on a farm in Nebraska was good enough to get you scholly.
What are you talking about? Altitude absolutely has an affect. Visiting coaches discuss it all the time. Sure, it may not have the same level of affect as it does on tourists but it does suck the wind out of them especially in the 3rd and 4th.

2012. That game was the worst performance I think I’ve ever witnessed. Unreal how out of position they were on every play
55 - 7 at the half....unreal

However....

"Colorado avoided the most lopsided loss by a team from a BCS conference against a team from a non-automatic qualifier when Josh Ford scored on a 1-yard run with 2:58 to play. UCLA still holds that ignominious record with a 59-0 loss against BYU in 2008."

55 - 7 at the half....unreal

However....

"Colorado avoided the most lopsided loss by a team from a BCS conference against a team from a non-automatic qualifier when Josh Ford scored on a 1-yard run with 2:58 to play. UCLA still holds that ignominious record with a 59-0 loss against BYU in 2008."
I remember that I had scheduled dirt bike riding in South Park with my kids that day. When we got back to the truck and loaded everything up, we turned on the radio to hear what the score was and were stunned, shocked, astounded, whatever! at the score and changed the radio because we couldn't bear to listen. One of the most embarrassing games that CU may have ever played.

Love this post......but the altitude part. I think coaches of the schools on the coast know how to deal with the altitude when they come here and to SLC, and I don't think that'll be any sort of factor. I think we're gonna win this game, but I think this is going to be 2016 UCLA ugly. They're a pretty athletic team still, and I think they don't have a lot to lose. 27-17 Buffs with a backbreaker TD in quarter 4.

Love this post......but the altitude part. I think coaches of the schools on the coast know how to deal with the altitude when they come here and to SLC, and I don't think that'll be any sort of factor. I think we're gonna win this game, but I think this is going to be 2016 UCLA ugly. They're a pretty athletic team still, and I think they don't have a lot to lose. 27-17 Buffs with a backbreaker TD in quarter 4.
The only way to prepare for altitude is to train here. It will have an affect. They do get winded up here. Players and coaches talk about it all the time.

The only way to prepare for altitude is to train here. It will have an affect. They do get winded up here. Players and coaches talk about it all the time.

There is a reason (aside from great coaching and recruiting) why Buffs cross country is always top 5 nationally. They train all year at altitude and when they go to meets at lower elevations, their blood cells have a happy oxygen party. The reverse happens when sea level people come up to the Front Range for an athletic event.

There is a reason (aside from great coaching and recruiting) why Buffs cross country is always top 5 nationally. They train all year at altitude and when they go to meets at lower elevations, their blood cells have a happy oxygen party. The reverse happens when sea level people come up to the Front Range for an athletic event.

Altitude doesn't impact the performance of elite athletes the way it does, other people, but it still has an impact. Especially when some of those athletes are in the 300+lbs range and are having to sprint and stop, sprint and stop, etc

Agree with this. If I'm any school on the west coast and I've got a vancancy after this year, Jeff Tedford is a name I'm calling.

What are you talking about? Altitude absolutely has an affect. Visiting coaches discuss it all the time. Sure, it may not have the same level of affect as it does on tourists but it does suck the wind out of them especially in the 3rd and 4th.
Can you provide any examples? When the Buffs win at home, they just seem to be the better team. But holy carp there’s a lot of losses where the visiting team looks like they are gassing US.

I’d argue it’s more like Alabama football (FYI, they world come up here and kick the **** out of us...so would LSU, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio St. Even in 93 Miami cane up here and beat us). Success begets success. Wyoming, Utah, AFA, and CSU aren’t second best. It’s oregon...because Nike.

Can you provide any examples? When the Buffs win at home, they just seem to be the better team. But holy carp there’s a lot of losses where the visiting team looks like they are gassing US.
Well, the United States Olympic teams train in Colorado Springs. They do this because training at altitude gives them an advantage. The United States Men's National team practices in Colorado before they travel to Mexico City, to acclimate and prepare for the altitude.

The head coach of Arkansas was concerned with the altitude before playing CSU, and look what happened in the 4th quarter.

The Denver Broncos have the best home record in football, in large part due to the elevation.

The head coaches in the Pac-12 routinely discuss the altitude in the weekly conference calls before traveling to Boulder.

UCLA is a hot mess...and I like what I hear from practice - the guys and coaches seem uber focused...I have a feeling we are gonna kill em.

Back