What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Pregame thread

Physical practices. Full contact drills. Word of team focus and being dialed in. This either reminds me of the best bye weeks under Barnett or the worst ones under Hawkins. I’ll go with the former. When teams can turn it up and hit during the bye week it is usually a sign of confidence in health and depth.

Physical practices. Full contact drills. Word of team focus and being dialed in. This either reminds me of the best bye weeks under Barnett or the worst ones under Hawkins. I’ll go with the former. When teams can turn it up and hit during the bye week it is usually a sign of confidence in health and depth.
You’re obviously not superstitious.

Well, the United States Olympic teams train in Colorado Springs. They do this because training at altitude gives them an advantage. The United States Men's National team practices in Colorado before they travel to Mexico City, to acclimate and prepare for the altitude.

The head coach of Arkansas was concerned with the altitude before playing CSU, and look what happened in the 4th quarter.

The Denver Broncos have the best home record in football, in large part due to the elevation.

The head coaches in the Pac-12 routinely discuss the altitude in the weekly conference calls before traveling to Boulder.
I’m talking about an example where a team (not from the mountains) was gassed and CU was able to take advantage of that.
Arkansas lost to CSU because Arkansas.
Broncos May have the best home record in the NFL, but CU has almost the worst in the PAC-12 (if not for 2016, they would have been)
https://realdawghuskies.com/best-home-record-advantages-in-the-pac-12/

From 1924 through 2016, the Buffs have a 308–169–14 record at Folsom. Math is admittedly not my area of expertise, but just eyeballing it, it seems like a decent historic winning percentage.

From 1924 through 2016, the Buffs have a 308–169–14 record at Folsom. Math is admittedly not my area of expertise, but just eyeballing it, it seems like a decent historic winning percentage.
If you read back far enough, I specifically stated this isn’t the 50s anymore. Any modern D1 athlete isn’t going lose a game in Boulder because they are “gassed”.

Can you provide CU’s home record from 2006-2018?

If altitude were actually a factor - Sac State would never have beat us. They got better as the game went along.

The altitude thing should work both ways as well (which is why Olympic athletes train up in Colorado). Which begs the question, why do the SEC, Pac-12, ACC, and Big 10 have such a huge win percentage advantage over CU?

It’s great that opposing coaches talk about the altitude in Colorado. But that’s just coach speak. I have yet to see some sort of convincing (not anecdotal) evidence that the altitude actually makes a difference.

If you read back far enough, I specifically stated this isn’t the 50s anymore. Any modern D1 athlete isn’t going lose a game in Boulder because they are “gassed”.

Can you provide CU’s home record from 2006-2018?

If altitude were actually a factor - Sac State would never have beat us. They got better as the game went along.

The altitude thing should work both ways as well (which is why Olympic athletes train up in Colorado). Which begs the question, why do the SEC, Pac-12, ACC, and Big 10 have such a huge win percentage advantage over CU?

It’s great that opposing coaches talk about the altitude in Colorado. But that’s just coach speak. I have yet to see some sort of convincing (not anecdotal) evidence that the altitude actually makes a difference.
There's a lot of science that athletic performance starts to be impacted at 5,000 feet above sea level.

It's overblown a bit (not like we're at 8,000 feet), but it is real. Heck, we've seen players with Sickle Cell not be allowed by their physician to play in Denver.

There's a lot of science that athletic performance starts to be impacted at 5,000 feet above sea level.

It's overblown a bit (not like we're at 8,000 feet), but it is real. Heck, we've seen players with Sickle Cell not be allowed by their physician to play in Denver.
Trust me, I get all that (pilot and all). But seriously, I know you of all people have watched CU closely over the years. Can you give me any example in the last 15 or 20 years where altitude actually made a difference? Our home record as part of the PAC-12 is abysmal. We’ve lost to FCS teams at home. If we win, it’s just because we’re better. But there have been more than a handful of times we’ve been motor boated at home. Oregon, USC, ASU, hell, even Cal and WAZZU have out gassed us at our own field.

Trust me, I get all that (pilot and all). But seriously, I know you of all people have watched CU closely over the years. Can you give me any example in the last 15 or 20 years where altitude actually made a difference? Our home record as part of the PAC-12 is abysmal. We’ve lost to FCS teams at home. If we win, it’s just because we’re better. But there have been more than a handful of times we’ve been motor boated at home. Oregon, USC, ASU, hell, even Cal and WAZZU have out gassed us at our own field.
They put it in neutral for entire second halves - no gas required.

I notice it a lot in basketball games. Teams get gassed. Big guys, especially, end up laboring and playing fewer minutes than they normally play. There's an advantage. But with so much built-in rest in a football game, I think a good part of the advantage is psychological.

Altitude is a factor but it can't compensate for us not having much talent over the last couple decades.

Back in the glory days I do remember a lot of games were the same back running the same play would get stopped in the first half of the game then later on the same play against the same defense he would get the corner for big gains.

In recent years it hasn't helped a lot because other teams could slow down and still be faster than us. Other teams also had much more depth and being well ahead could simply sub in guys who weren't tired and still dominate us.

So without having read this thread, what is the stream for this game?

I'll be in a too damn expensive hotel in Boston which most likely will not have the channel I need. So I need to buy the too damn expensive wifi to stream it.

But hey...at least I won't be in the middle of nowhere Colorado with ****ty internet.

I'll be in a too damn expensive hotel in Boston which most likely will not have the channel I need. So I need to buy the too damn expensive wifi to stream it.

But hey...at least I won't be in the middle of nowhere Colorado with ****ty internet.

FS1

Fox Sports Go app or browser

I notice it a lot in basketball games. Teams get gassed. Big guys, especially, end up laboring and playing fewer minutes than they normally play. There's an advantage. But with so much built-in rest in a football game, I think a good part of the advantage is psychological.
See...that's what I was looking for someone to admit - in football it's mostly psychological. As is the "late November night game snow advantage over the west coast schools." USC tends to tell us to go **** ourselves with that one as well.

Can you provide any examples? When the Buffs win at home, they just seem to be the better team. But holy carp there’s a lot of losses where the visiting team looks like they are gassing US.
holy-carp-print.jpg

i heard footballs that come from sea level to Boulder often pop unexpectedly, especially when kicked. wear it out boys.

Who is your television provider? I ask because Dish and DirecTV both have streaming apps.

See...that's what I was looking for someone to admit - in football it's mostly psychological. As is the "late November night game snow advantage over the west coast schools." USC tends to tell us to go **** ourselves with that one as well.
There is an effect. Not huge. But it takes a hair more time to recover aerobically. Just a few more seconds to catch your breath. And though, physiologically it’s insignificant, psychologically it can be a big deal. That’s why I think changing pace on offense can be even a bit more effective in Boulder where there is about a 3% decrease in stamina.

There is an effect. Not huge. But it takes a hair more time to recover aerobically. Just a few more seconds to catch your breath. And though, physiologically it’s insignificant, psychologically it can be a big deal. That’s why I think changing pace on offense can be even a bit more effective in Boulder where there is about a 3% decrease in stamina.
I didn’t know hair needed aerobic recovery time. Even more impressed with Lindsay now.

I saw too many gassed Hawaii teams in Laramie as a kid to say there is nothing to it but I do agree the advantage is slight if playing a team that's been conditioned. We're not running a marathon just quick bursts. That said, I do think the up-tempo stuff we run can magnify this affect because there is not sufficient time for the DT's to recover.

The OU game in 2007 was a pretty clear indicator to me that a superior team can get worn out at altitude. Late 3Q and 4Q had many sightings of OU players with hands on hips.

Is tackling going to improve at “camp”?

Good tackling remains a concern of mine on this team (except Landman and a couple others)

Is tackling going to improve at “camp”?

Good tackling remains a concern of mine on this team (except Landman and a couple others)

yes. i hope. look at it this way, we have seen guys whiff on a lot of tackles, and still managed the wins. maybe they will work on that? it feels different than the worst of the hawk/embree mess where guys couldn't make tackles because they simply weren't athletic and fast enough to be in position.

Who is your television provider? I ask because Dish and DirecTV both have streaming apps.
Xfinity. We have noticed that we aren’t able to stream the games live. It might be because we usually record them so I won’t record this time.

Khalil Tate looked pretty gassed after his twelfth 80 yard run against our D last year.

Lol, altitude definitely matters but it's not some great equalizer when CU is clearly out matched from a talent standpoint, like they have been for most games in Boulder from 2006-2015.

Back