What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What grade do you give the 2017 recruiting class?

What grade do you give the 2017 recruiting class?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure. B+, maybe?

A few late misses that could have pushed the grade up to somewhere around Jupiter.

But there's really good news, and it's not just based on the talent/size/speed factors - check all those boxes.

There will be 9 new faces at spring ball this year. That's amazing. Kudos to the staff for reloading with players who can get here sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't you say that just the quality of our O line alone should bump us from, say, a "B" to a "B+"? (For those who voted "B".) Maybe someone should do a "position by position" grade. Not me though.

Okay...

QB- B
RB - C
WR-A+
TE-B
OL-A+
DL-B+
LB -B
DB- C

Okay...

QB- B
RB - C
WR-A+
TE-B
OL-A+
DL-B+
LB -B
DB- C
Fair for the most part but a couple of things I'd change.

If Poplawski is worth a B then I think it's really harsh to give Fontenot a C. I don't believe Olver or Sparaco will actually be used at TE. The staff continues to rave about Fontenot and I gotta believe they feel they found the right guy.

I think Lytle deserves a B+ especially if the OL gets an A+. I'm convinced that Moretti/Polley will no doubt be stars and I think Sherman has tremendous potential. And then Roddick and Paige too, but it seems like an A+ if we kept Newman. I would take this + away and give it to Lytle.

DB doesn't deserve a C when Miller is widely regarded as one of the most sure things of the class and many expect Lewis to be good too. Kevin George almost counts as a prep recruit with how much time he still has to play and you gotta include Wigley in the group too. I would drop DL two scores to a B- (acknowledging that I love Sparaco and the potential of the other DL) and give DB a boost to B-.

QB A- He looks like a guy that will be ready in 1 or 2 years. High ceiling.
RB B Added a guy that need to get stronger, but he is fast and shifty.
WR A speed and athleticism
TE C+ Good blocker, not the best pass catcher, also speed concerns. Not the best red zone target.
OL A Added depth and talent, best recruiting class since the Andre Gurode era
DB A George and Miller have speed and good ball skills
DL A Javier Edwards is nimble for a NT. Mulumba plays like MaliK Jackson.
LB A- Van diest, Hamilton and Landman bring agressive play to the team.

How much does getting Lang change things for people?

One of the big complaints seemed to be that there wasn't a recruiting "win" for a 4* type during the final week. Now it looks like we did get that win.

I'll probably stay at B+, think we really needed a safety and kicker too. Hell, maybe we already have a safety and will add a kicker at some point. Who knows?

Why did we need a safety? I'm seeing that in a lot of posts and it is not how our coaches felt.

We signed Lewis and White made it back for the junior class. You guys wanted more than 2 safeties added to the roster this offseason?

I was just going by what I've read on here, safety seemed to come up quite a bit. Not saying I'm not wrong.

Why did we need a safety? I'm seeing that in a lot of posts and it is not how our coaches felt.

We signed Lewis and White made it back for the junior class. You guys wanted more than 2 safeties added to the roster this offseason?
I would have liked to see another one added. I'm hopeful for White, but he reminds me a lot of Moeller. Both seem to be better suited for run-heavy offenses, not the PAC12. I hope I'm wrong.

How much does getting Lang change things for people?

One of the big complaints seemed to be that there wasn't a recruiting "win" for a 4* type during the final week. Now it looks like we did get that win.

Hard to move up my grade to a bonafide A even though I think Lang does have "jewel of the recruiting class" type skill. It makes it a more solidified A- for me

Given how this program has recruited over the last 10 years and how CU had to rise from the ashes, this class is an easy A. I think we'll judge recruiting classes more clearly going forward because it looks like the ship has turned. If CU starts getting 8-10 wins every year expectations and recruiting are going to be a lot higher than they are now. Easy A!

If an A doesn't mean recruiting with the best in your conference, then the grading scale doesn't have much meaning IMO. We're on the right path, but still have a ways to go to get there. This is a great class for us, but grading on its own merits I gave it a B, and Lang nudged it to a slightly better B.

Evan White may be a tweener, and hard to rely on a guy that's been dismissed from the team once before. Existing safety depth is unproven and not highly touted.

Jaisen Sanchez is back now too.

I'd like to give this class an A+ because it is such a huge upgrade over the past years. It really is impressive haul at Oline, Dline (Edwards is my number 1 pickup), QB (Luther is my number 2) and WR. Plus we got solid lbs and dbs. Talent all over. We beat out Texas, Notre Dame, Florida, Oregon and USC for recruits. Great class.
However, I'm going to grade the class an A-. We can get better and use this year as a step forward. A huge step, but we are going to keep climbing.

Great class - I would have liked one HS DT that was more of a polished product, and one more ILB. That's really being picky though, and I think this class was great. Good job by Mac and staff, especially considering they were short-staffed while approaching the finish line.

B

Would have been higher had we closed Falo and kept Newman.

Overall though I see a class that in most areas is an upgrade in raw talent over the guys they are replacing on the roster. We have guys who were legitimately recruited by schools like Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Oregon, Texas, aTm, Ol' Miss, etc.

We don't have a lot of guys who are locks to step in and start at a high level right away but the guys we brought in are much closer to contributing than the guys in recent classes have been. If we are forced to put a young guy out there they aren't going to be as overmatched as we have seen in the past.

B

Would have been higher had we closed Falo and kept Newman.

Overall though I see a class that in most areas is an upgrade in raw talent over the guys they are replacing on the roster. We have guys who were legitimately recruited by schools like Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Oregon, Texas, aTm, Ol' Miss, etc.

We don't have a lot of guys who are locks to step in and start at a high level right away but the guys we brought in are much closer to contributing than the guys in recent classes have been. If we are forced to put a young guy out there they aren't going to be as overmatched as we have seen in the past.

This is an understatement. We have multiple guys who are at or right around 300 pounds. This class is far and away closer to playing than any class we've had in a long time.

Back