What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What the Big 12 Means To Hoops

I’m an asshole but I’m not a liar.
Goose, I've always admired and respected your opinions as well-thought out and nuanced. But this!!!!??? I can only conclude you buy your chile at Walmart. And this has nothing, nothing at all to do with me being a native Puebloan who now lives on the state line and has to deal with NM paranoia/snobbery regarding Hatch every fall.

How will the new Big 12 stack for the Ladies? I know Baylor is usually good, sorry to say I'm ignorant here.
The top 6 teams in the Big 12 season in their conference schedule were:

Texas
Oklahoma
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
West Virginia
Baylor without Mulkey

Texas and Oklahoma (coach by for CU assistant Jennie Baranczyk

I wish Oklahoma was staying in the Big 12, but they are not.

Goose, I've always admired and respected your opinions as well-thought out and nuanced. But this!!!!??? I can only conclude you buy your chile at Walmart. And this has nothing, nothing at all to do with me being a native Puebloan who now lives on the state line and has to deal with NM paranoia/snobbery regarding Hatch every fall.
Steel city ftmfw!

One of my ABQ friends lives up here now and drives down to Hatch every year for the festival. I like to joke around and tell him everyone knows Colorado's GC is better. I know its a dick move but the look on his face afterwards makes it worth it.

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I hope the Big 12 adds UofA, Utah, and UConn. As long as we're doing this we may as well make sure the Big 12 is the toughest hoops conference in the country.

In terms of competitiveness, I don’t see how this move to the B12 is any different for the basketball program as it would be for the football program moving to the B1G.

One of my ABQ friends lives up here now and drives down to Hatch every year for the festival. I like to joke around and tell him everyone knows Colorado's GC is better. I know its a dick move but the look on his face afterwards makes it worth it.

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I hope the Big 12 adds UofA, Utah, and UConn. As long as we're doing this we may as well make sure the Big 12 is the toughest hoops conference in the country.
If it was those 3, our hoops home slate would be sick. Plus, throw in a B1G, SEC or Big East since the Big 12 actually does those challenge events with those conferences (which I think is more compelling for fans than the Pac-SWAC hoops challenge).

I expect a major uplift to the Keg crowd & energy in 2024-25 coming off a successful season and then offering that home slate for season tix.

In terms of competitiveness, I don’t see how this move to the B12 is any different for the basketball program as it would be for the football program moving to the B1G.
The only difference is the resources given to the programs. If CU went to the B1G, I have zero doubt Deion would be given a blank check to do whatever is necessary to succeed.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t have the faith that the CUAD will do what’s necessary for hoops.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t have the faith that the CUAD will do what’s necessary for hoops.

I believe the same thing. All other sports will be on the losing end because of football. That will mean losing JR and Tad.

I believe the same thing. All other sports will be on the losing end because of football. That will mean losing JR and Tad.
As I've said repeatedly throughout this thread, I think we're losing Tad to retirement no matter what within the next 3 years. Does this move accelerate it? That's my only question. I'm more worried about being hamstrung on replacing him.

As for JR, that'd be a hell of a loss. I'm really a fan of hers.

As I've said repeatedly throughout this thread, I think we're losing Tad to retirement no matter what within the next 3 years. Does this move accelerate it? That's my only question. I'm more worried about being hamstrung on replacing him.

Retirement? I don’t think so, bud, you’re not that lucky. We’re gonna lose Tad when he takes the Kansas job next year after Self unexpectedly retires. That will be Tad and CU’s first year back in the Big12, but not together.

Retirement? I don’t think so, bud, you’re not that lucky. We’re gonna lose Tad when he takes the Kansas job next year after Self unexpectedly retires. That will be Tad’s first year back in the Big12 and CU’s, but not together.
You know how to hurt a man.

JR has brought the program back to being respectable, even if the NCAA and the Pac don't want to recognize anyone but the blue blood schools.

Definitely a big loss to the program and will put us back in mediocrity and another rebuild. The good players would follow her.

I can understand the resources argument, but this conversation about Tad and JR leaving CU because they are entering the premier basketball conference in the country is wild.

Is CU in the Big 12 like Rutgers football in the B1G or Vanderbilt in SEC? If so, then ok, but if they’re somewhere in the middlish then that speaks a lot about Tad and JR, IMO.

I can understand the resources argument, but this conversation about Tad and JR leaving CU because they are entering the premier basketball conference in the country is wild.

Is CU in the Big 12 like Rutgers football in the B1G or Vanderbilt in SEC? If so, then ok, but if they’re somewhere in the middlish then that speaks a lot about Tad and JR, IMO.
On that note, Rutgers is investing like crazy. With the step up, their basketball is better than ever and their football is becoming very competitive with the resources they've given Schiano. NJ is a very solid home base for recruiting and money (which does reach into the Philly suburbs & NY Hudson Valley)- just that the residents have never cared about the state university's sports teams.

Last edited:
On that note, Rutgers is investing like crazy. With the step up, their basketball is better than ever and their football is becoming very competitive with the resources they're given Schiano. NJ is a very solid home base for recruiting and money (which does reach into the Philly suburbs & NY Hudson Valley)- just that the residents have never cared about the state university's sports teams.
Going back to CU, the narrative here seems to be that Tad and JR might not be willing to compete with the best. Do I expect them to compete consistently with the top of the Big 12? No, but they didn’t really do that consistently with the Pac 12, so maybe this move actually gives the AD and programs a kick in the ass

On that note, Rutgers is investing like crazy. With the step up, their basketball is better than ever and their football is becoming very competitive with the resources they're given Schiano. NJ is a very solid home base for recruiting and money (which does reach into the Philly suburbs & NY Hudson Valley)- just that the residents have never cared about the state university's sports teams.

We drove past the stadium on our recent trip. It’s nice-ish. Piscataway is kind of a dump, though. And it’s really not that close to NYC. I think it would be pretty hard to recruit there.

We drove past the stadium on our recent trip. It’s nice-ish. Piscataway is kind of a dump, though. And it’s really not that close to NYC. I think it would be pretty hard to recruit there.
Helps that it's on the main light rail line, though. But, yeah, Piscataway isn't exactly the garden spot of the Garden State.

Helps that it's on the main light rail line, though. But, yeah, Piscataway isn't exactly the garden spot of the Garden State.
Well, sort of. The closest station is three miles to the stadium.

I think JR loves it here, but the people on this talking about both tad and jr entering the premier college basketball conference... P12 is the women's premier college basketball conference. Rpi they're not too far off, but p12 is #1 and b12 is #4. WBB is gonna roll into the b12 like a wrecking ball imo. I'm more concerned jr would rather find a way to stay on the west coast if a premier job opened up there. I have no reasons to suspect that, she recruits nationally and has a family established here, but that would be the concern

I think JR loves it here, but the people on this talking about both tad and jr entering the premier college basketball conference... P12 is the women's premier college basketball conference. Rpi they're not too far off, but p12 is #1 and b12 is #4. WBB is gonna roll into the b12 like a wrecking ball imo. I'm more concerned jr would rather find a way to stay on the west coast if a premier job opened up there. I have no reasons to suspect that, she recruits nationally and has a family established here, but that would be the concern
She's definitely a west coast girl. From the time she moved to Vancouver as a kid through college and all her coaching stops, CU is the farthest east she's ever called home. But I don't see a Big 12 move as an issue (not that I've got insider knowledge here). I always figured she'd stay unless potentially a school like USC, Stanford, UCLA, Oregon or Washington offered money beyond what CU will pay its WBB coach.

She's definitely a west coast girl. From the time she moved to Vancouver as a kid through college and all her coaching stops, CU is the farthest east she's ever called home. But I don't see a Big 12 move as an issue (not that I've got insider knowledge here). I always figured she'd stay unless potentially a school like USC, Stanford, UCLA, Oregon or Washington offered money beyond what CU will pay its WBB coach.

JR definitely loves Colorado. I think the only reason she would leave is if AD doesn't put money in to the program. She is up to the challenge of a different conference.

She is a good enough coach that offers will start coming in and if CU won't or can't match the offers, she would follow the money.

Her dad owns property in Florida where she goes for a week after the big July recruiting push. She needs a break and the beach does it for her.

She doesn't get a break over in season holidays and usually has players staying at her house over both breaks and the semester break. Not all players have the means to go home for Christmas so they stay there.

I really hope CU will pay her more. She has earned it.

Back