What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's the biggest "What if" in CU football history?

Breaking silence. Really enjoying this thread!

What if Miami lost to Virginia Tech in the last week of the 2001 season? Or a few weeks prior to unranked Boston College? Both of these things almost happened. VT was ranked 14th so that probably wouldn’t have had a huge impact on the final standings, but the computers at that time were entirely unpredictable, and it’s possible that a late season Miami loss could have moved them back to the 3 spot in the rankings, leaving your 2001 BCS championship game to be… a rematch of 62-36.
Holy ****! RalphieMalph!

Great to see you.

My main two:

What if CU and Texas had accepted invites to the Pac 10 in 1994?

What if CU had done a national search after McCartney retired?
Some great questions in this thread. End of the day, the one that hit me hardest in the gut was “what if CU had done a national search after McCartney retired?”

I was young when this went down and did not appreciate the gravity of how poorly CU ( Was it Marolt?) handled that hiring. its difficult to imagine now, but on the national stage, CU was roughly where Clemson was a couple years ago. Upstart, hugely talented underdogs with a dynamic coach who players loved. Two NATL title games in two years and just barely missed out on a third.

We could have had our pick of coaches and kept the momentum rolling. Instead, we made an internal hire of a 32 year old QB coach and became a national joke in the process. That is the moment we went bush league.

Some great questions in this thread. End of the day, the one that hit me hardest in the gut was “what if CU had done a national search after McCartney retired?”

I was young when this went down and did not appreciate the gravity of how poorly CU ( Was it Marolt?) handled that hiring. its difficult to imagine now, but on the national stage, CU was roughly where Clemson was a couple years ago. Upstart, hugely talented underdogs with a dynamic coach who players loved. Two NATL title games in two years and just barely missed out on a third.

We could have had our pick of coaches and kept the momentum rolling. Instead, we made an internal hire of a 32 year old QB coach and became a national joke in the process. That is the moment we went bush league.
The amazing thing about rick is he convinced two other programs to hire him after he took the Ferrari McCartney left him and drove it off a cliff. The fundamental problems he created at CU were totally obvious after just 3 years.

He must be great at interviewing.

when i was a kid first going to games with my dad, the one you heard was if Eddie Crowder landed Luscious Selmon (which apparently almost happened).

then you get Lee Roy and Dewey Selmon.

and probably JC Watts who was also from the same town in OK as the Selmons.

those of you who don't know about the Selmons, google the Selmon brothers.

maybe not the #1 but still a pretty good one.
Ties into, “what if Eddie Crowder hadn’t retired so early?” Or, ”what if Eddie Crowder had hired Don James instead of Bill Mallory?”

What if Mike Mac played Laviska his freshman year? Would he have been worth the 3 pts at AZ? Maybe we win that UCLA game.
If so Mike Mac goes 10-2 and possibly 7-5 in back to back years. Would he still be coach?
Probably would have gotten an SEC job and bailed like he was rumored to have been trying to do, but would have set CU up in a much better financial situation, and maybe RG hires someone better than Tucker who actually sticks around.

Give you one that is more significant than anything posted so far.

What would have happened had either Gordon Gee not gone to Ohio State and instead stayed at CU or had the Regents followed him by hiring another President with a strong value placed on athletics, especially football as the face of the university?

Give you one that is more significant than anything posted so far.

What would have happened had either Gordon Gee not gone to Ohio State and instead stayed at CU or had the Regents followed him by hiring another President with a strong value placed on athletics, especially football as the face of the university?
That was huge! Gordon Gee was the man

I thought about this one, but the only answer I came up with was that they would have earned the right to get their ass kicked by Miami in the natty, instead of Oregon in the Fiesta. Not sure it would have mattered much in the long run.
Those guys didn't give a damn in that Fiesta Bowl, it was obvious from jump. They wanted to be in the big one and ****ing Nebraska got the nod.

Maybe it wouldn't have been the biggest thing in terms of the impact on the program, but if there was one game that I really wish CU won that it lost, it would be the 1990 Orange Bowl.
I know I didn't want to go school after that, I was in elementary, but I knew I'd have my ass mocked because of it. My dad put that **** to bed real quick.

when i was a kid first going to games with my dad, the one you heard was if Eddie Crowder landed Luscious Selmon (which apparently almost happened).

then you get Lee Roy and Dewey Selmon.

and probably JC Watts who was also from the same town in OK as the Selmons.

those of you who don't know about the Selmons, google the Selmon brothers.

maybe not the #1 but still a pretty good one.
Okay, Old Timer : What if Eddie Crowdedr hires his old Defensive Coordinator, Don James, instead of Bill Mallory.??

I understood why he took the job, but he must have some dark, introspective moments wondering what might have been, if he had stayed at UCF.
He had other options, too. I don't think he and his wife ever really wanted to go to Lincoln, but Alberts had to land him & made an offer that Frost couldn't turn down.

Back