What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's the biggest "What if" in CU football history?

What if Mike Mac played Laviska his freshman year? Would he have been worth the 3 pts at AZ? Maybe we win that UCLA game.
If so Mike Mac goes 10-2 and possibly 7-5 in back to back years. Would he still be coach?
No. He would have been able to land a HC job somewhere else. He was actively shopping his services.

Here is a roster of their starters and reserves in '01....just as a reminder

View attachment 46279

View attachment 46280

/End thread jack

EDIT: Interesting that they don't have D.J. Williams listed as going to the NFL.
They left out Sean Taylor as well (he was a freshman). Sean Taylor and Ed Reed on the same college roster, two of the best safeties in the 21st century (I think Sean Taylor my have ended up being better than Reed, sad that someone took his life and so soon). Guy had 111 tackles (86 solo) as a safety in '06. I'll never forget his hit on the punter in the ****ing Pro Bowl. Guy might have been the last true big hitting safety in football with the new rules.

Sean-Taylor-Destroys-a-Punter_STACK.gif

d75c63823bb0a81f6b1fe6071591c57e.gif

8Q-cTY.gif

Regardless of the fact that Miami might have had the most talented college team of all time, the Buffs were riding some incredible momentum. You never know what can happen in a 60 minute game when a team is peaking like we were.

Regardless of the fact that Miami might have had the most talented college team of all time, the Buffs were riding some incredible momentum. You never know what can happen in a 60 minute game when a team is peaking like we were.
We were playing at the peak of our ability and had a lot of momentum. But one could also easily make the alternative argument: If Mack Brown decides to start (or even play earlier) Major Applewhite, we’re probably not even having this debate. I love my Buffs, but we weren’t going to hang with that Miami team.

They left out Sean Taylor as well (he was a freshman). Sean Taylor and Ed Reed on the same college roster, two of the best safeties in the 21st century (I think Sean Taylor my have ended up being better than Reed, sad that someone took his life and so soon). Guy had 111 tackles (86 solo) as a safety in '06. I'll never forget his hit on the punter in the ****ing Pro Bowl. Guy might have been the last true big hitting safety in football with the new rules.

8Q-cTY.gif

Also, that roster was of just dudes that played. I could be misremembering, but I don’t think Taylor played much (if any) that year. He was special though, you’re totally right about that.

Good on that punter for holding onto the football. Holy schnikies!

8Q-cTY.gif

😳 “Easy, Focker! It’s just a game!”

What if Mac ordered Uzelac to let Kordell throw the ball to his two AA WRs, instead of running against a 9 man front all day at NU in '94???
the throws he did attempt were boouncers at the feet of his receivers - which Kordell had a tendency to do when pressured

Okay, Old Timer : What if Eddie Crowdedr hires his old Defensive Coordinator, Don James, instead of Bill Mallory.??

agree....i think another poster also back in the thread said same.

however, Mallory won a share of the Big 8 championship and took CU to the Orange Bowl. Mallory left for Illinois, who says James could get there or stay?

just devil's advocate.

the real disaster comes later with Fairbanks. who, seemed to fall on his sword at CU after taking the NFL Patriots to the playoffs when they weren't.

such a weird deal.

Last edited:

however, Mallory won a share of the Big 8 championship and took CU to the Orange Bowl.

Mallory going forward was not CU's problem.

Mallory won with Crowder's recruits and as you point out, won only a SHARE of the Big 8 and got whomped in the Orange Bowl. He left the program worse than he found it, after only five seasons. His teams were ranked only twice. (#16 ) and lost both bowl games.

James made UW a regular contender in the Pac after '77 and took them to 5 Rose Bowls and a #2 ranking and NC over 15 years and had ranked teams 12 of those years.

Dynasty versus flash in the pan!

Mallory won with Crowder's recruits and as you point out, won only a SHARE of the Big 8 and got whomped in the Orange Bowl. He left the program worse than he found it, after only five seasons. His teams were ranked only twice. (#16 ) and lost both bowl games.

James made UW a regular contender in the Pac after '77 and took them to 5 Rose Bowls and a #2 ranking and NC over 15 years and had ranked teams 12 of those years.

Dynasty versus flash in the pan!

fair enough. Mallory was the coach in 76 when Tony Reed went up the COLORADO embankment in the north end zone after scoring to beat Oklahoma in the 4th quarter.....one of my first CU games to attend at age 8. Nostalgia. moment where i was like "wow, this is awesome....i'm a Buff fan for life".

Reed was a very good, underrated back in the CU RB lineage. he had 1000 yard year for KC in the NFL.

Minus his iffy too late endorsement of Hawkins which was hard to truck, I am a big Eddie Crowder fan even though his coaching days were a touch ahead of my cognitive memory. I used to see him at the King Soopers on Table Mesa from time to time....and, one night, i just introduced myself and shook his hand. "my dad started taking me to games in the mid 70's". and i do have extended family uncles that played at OU and OSU inna day. coached HS football in OK. He knew them. remembered. he was nice as can be. completely genuine. real guy, seemed surprised to be recognised.

plus, in year 2021....now i have the same haircut he had then. heh.

What if Dan Hawkins takes the safety instead of punting from the back of the endzone against Georgia in Athens back in 2006? Do the Buffs hold the lead and knock off a Top 10 opponent on the road?

however, Mallory won a share of the Big 8 championship and took CU to the Orange Bowl. Mallory left for Illinois, who says James could get there or stay?

just devil's advocate.

the real disaster comes later with Fairbanks. who, seemed to fall on his sword at CU after taking the NFL Patriots to the playoffs when they weren't.

such a weird deal.

Wasn't around for it, but what heard is that fairbanks had the same problem at CU that Sark had at USC.

Hmm, what if EB could've held on to the damn ball in the first Orange Bowl? Didn't he fumble quite a bit in that game? It might have been a different game, but I think that was one of them.

Just been re-watching the ESPN 30/30 on Mac ... question comes up, what if he got his wish and was reappointed to the HC position in 2010 instead of Embree?

If CU's game against Wazzu in 2001 was rescheduled and the Buffs won, they likely would have played for the national championship that year. Not sure anyone beats Miami that year, but i would have liked to see that.

I don't know, we had 2 losses that year but I suppose a win over (what would've been) a 9-3 WSU team would've made the difference since the BCS numbers were so close between us and Nebraska

If CU's game against Wazzu in 2001 was rescheduled and the Buffs won, they likely would have played for the national championship that year. Not sure anyone beats Miami that year, but i would have liked to see that.
Because the numbers were so, so, so close with the computer rankings, someone went back and...

If Southern Mississippi hits their 4th quarter field goal against TCU, they win, and NU's SOS is lowered just enough (they played TCU in week 1) that CU is in the mnc.

Miami most likely still wins, but we would have made them earn it.

True, but i would have liked to see a motivated Buff team instead of the checked out team we saw in the Fiesta Bowl.
Very true, they gave two ****s about that game. I still think the Fresno game is why we didn't get in the title game. Damn, we didn't run for **** in that one, threw the ball ****ing 51 times. Hell, all they needed was a fg and I'm sure you know the rest.

Back