What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner: DTV deal likely before football season barring last minute snags

I predict by Tuesday afternoon sometime after lunch many Allbuffs who don't live close enough to go to the Sac St game will become concerned that
they won't be able watch the game on t.v. because somebody is too greedy to make a deal. Yes we are sick to our stomachs due to yesterday's game but
most of us are gluttons for punishment and will want to watch the Buffs win one of their only games this year.

Not me, this is the last straw. I expected many losses this year but laying down to these clowns? I don't care to worry about getting to watch my boys get prison sexed more than necessary.

Last edited:
I am not paying an extra dime to watch any of this stuff on TV. Larry Scott said this network will increase exposure... I don't recall him saying anything about fans having to pay more to see their teams play.

I am not paying an extra dime to watch any of this stuff on TV. Larry Scott said this network will increase exposure... I don't recall him saying anything about fans having to pay more to see their teams play.

I am pretty sure that is never an advertising point for any product. :thumbsup:

Where, exactly, did you think the money the Pac 12 network payouts out to CU and the other conference schools was going to come from?

I will pay to see it, but not until basketball season. I hope something is worked out by then.

Where, exactly, did you think the money the Pac 12 network payouts out to CU and the other conference schools was going to come from?
mqdefault.jpg

Interesting that its only two channels. Possibly the Pac relented on the regional feeds with Dish?

So I went through the process of finding the highest person's email address that I could at both Cox and DirecTV. I'm not hopeful with either of their responses, but at least someone fairly senior took the time to respond.

Here's my email to the COO of Cox:
Dear Ms. Campbell,

I currently subscribe to your high speed data services. For my television service, I currently use DirecTV. I was delighted when COX initially announced its partnership with the PAC-12 Network, and I was planning on changing my television service provider to COX at the start of the college football season. Imagine my disappointment to find out that the PAC-12 Network is not available in my market (I am in Fairfax County, VA).

College football coverage is important to me. It is, in fact, the only reason that I subscribe to any cable or satellite provider. Over-the-air and online viewing options more than meet my other television needs. I have been happy with the level of service COX has provided, and I would like to do more business with your company. Unfortunately, I am at a point where I plan on transferring all of my services, including data, to the first provider to carry the PAC-12 Network in my area.

I am hoping that you will be the first carrier to provide coverage, as I would like to continue to be your customer. But, if someone else provides coverage first, I will switch my provider immediately and permanently.

Best regards,

[Redacted]

PS: Many of the PAC-12 schools, including USC, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Washington and Colorado have very large alumni presences in the Northern Virginia/DC area – it is likely that the first carrier of the PAC-12 Network will win a lot of business.

Ms. Campbell did not respond, but the VP of Customer Care did:
Dear [Redacted]:
As Vice President of Customer Care for Cox Communications, I’m writing to respond to your email to Jill Campbell, Cox’s Chief Operating Officer, about Cox’s carriage of the Pac-12 Networks.

I am quite pleased that your experience with our Cox High Speed Internet product has met your service experience expectations. And I appreciate your candid feedback about our carriage of the Pac-12. We understand your passion for sports programming and the new Networks. Unfortunately, at this time, we have no plans to add the channel to our lineup in Virginia.

I hope you’ll allow me to provide you a detailed explanation of how we arrive at our programming lineup decisions, in general, and Pac-12 Networks in particular.
at this point the font changed, and it was pretty obvious he was copying and pasting some standard boilerplate:
Cox is a distributor of programming, and like all multichannel video providers, and we are required to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in wholesale prices to TV networks for their content. In particular, sports programming is the most expensive programming and directly impacts on the retail prices our customers pay for our services. As a result, when a new network launches, we work diligently to determine where and how it will have the most benefit to all of our customers in a local market.

Ultimately, our current carriage of the Pac-12 Networks is consistent with the areas of the country where there is the most demand for that content. The cost of adding the Networks to our lineups in the other markets is far more than the overall demand, and not consistent with our commitment to provide a channel lineup that meets the needs of all of our customers, not just sports fans and fans of the Pac-12 Networks.

Despite our lack of carriage of the Pac-12 Networks in Virginia, I do believe we provide the best value for your communications and entertainment services and I hope you’ll continue to trust us to be your provider for the long-term.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a loyal Cox Communications customer,

Scott Wise
VP Customer Care
Cox Communications

I would chalk that up as a "not gonna happen soon for those of us in the mid-Atlantic"

Next post, DirecTV

Now I can't find the DTV email chain. Not that important, they were pretty much saying the same things. But, I did manage to get a response from the "CEO" email at dish (it's definitely not Charley's email, but they generally make a point of putting fairly competent customer service people in charge of taking care of things).

My email:
Dear Dish Network,

College football coverage is important to me. It is, in fact, the primary reason that I subscribe to any cable or satellite provider. I currently subscribe to your competitor DirecTV, but I just wanted to you to be aware that if Dish Network picks up the PAC-12 Networks before DirecTV does, that I will immediately and permanently switch to you.

I feel that it’s unlikely that you all will do this, but I wanted to let you know that you have a pretty unique chance to win my business right now.

Best regards,

The response:
Hello [redacted]Thank you for your e-mail.
Currently we do not carry the Pac-12 Network but hope that in the near future we will be able to have them join the DISH family.
At this time we do not have any time frame to provide you with as to if and when we will be able to broadcast their programming.
Please check in regularly to see if the channel has been added to our line-up.

Thank you.

James Chang
Executive Communications
Direct Phone: 720-514-7233
Office Hours: Mon-Thu 12:30pm - 9:00pm (MST)
Sun 09:00am - 5:30pm (MST)
Dish Network L.L.C.
E-Mail: James.Chang@Dish.com

That may be the most hopeful email I've seen, and that satelliteguys.us link above is even more encouraging.

They do air a whole lot of commercials during football games. If your product is that good, you shouldn't have a problem getting sponsors lined up. If you expect it to come from people buying an extra tier on cable, then it seems your business plan is flawed. And if you think cable companies are going to just add it to their standard service after you charge them big bucks to carry the network, your business plan is even more flawed.

i called directv last night after sending 3 emails.

told them i would be calling back to cancel today if they didn't get the p12 network deal done.

guy said that they'd had many, many calls and that the management team was fully aware that this was important to a lot of customers but they had no details on when or if a deal would be done. i didn't expect a customer service rep to have any details, but i wanted to contribute to the volume of complaints.

pressure!

told them i would be calling back to cancel today if they didn't get the p12 network deal done.

guy said that they'd had many, many calls and that the management team was fully aware that this was important to a lot of customers but they had no details on when or if a deal would be done. i didn't expect a customer service rep to have any details, but i wanted to contribute to the volume of complaints.

pressure!

I call every day. I honestly think a deal will get done but could take another couple of weeks.

**** it! I do not care if it get's done with Dish now until the BB season starts. That ****fest on Saturday gave Dish an extension.

here is the response I received from my email to DTV. Way to go pac12 and good luck knocking out espn and family!!

Thank you for writing. I understand you would like to get PAC-12 Network.

DIRECTV works very hard to bring the best entertainment experience by providing the most comprehensive sports lineup available. We have been in discussions with the Pac 12 but have not reached an agreement to carry the Pac-12 Network at this time.

Please note that the vast majority of games featuring the most popular teams and with national (football) title implications remain available to all DIRECTV customers through the ESPN family of networks and ABC Sports, FOX Sports and FSN, FX, CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network and several other regional services.

For the latest information on this, please visit our website at www.DIRECTV.com/pac12.

Again, thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

here is the response I received from my email to DTV. Way to go pac12 and good luck knocking out espn and family!!

Thank you for writing. I understand you would like to get PAC-12 Network.

DIRECTV works very hard to bring the best entertainment experience by providing the most comprehensive sports lineup available. We have been in discussions with the Pac 12 but have not reached an agreement to carry the Pac-12 Network at this time.

Please note that the vast majority of games featuring the most popular teams and with national (football) title implications remain available to all DIRECTV customers through the ESPN family of networks and ABC Sports, FOX Sports and FSN, FX, CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network and several other regional services.

For the latest information on this, please visit our website at www.DIRECTV.com/pac12.

Again, thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

I think I am offended by that!

pressure!
put your money where your mouth is...

cancel those bastards!

One possible positive - all the DTV responses are now cut and paste of what is on their website. Maybe enough customers are finally complaining causing them to wash, rinse, repeat emails unlike some of the more inidvidual responses sent out beofre the season.

All meaning the volume of complaints is getting high enough that negotiations/deal will get done.

Man, looks like the CU Koolaid is now flowing over to DTV for me...hope's a bitch.

Back