What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TX ILB Grant Watanabe (Signed to COLORADO)

His team is getting worked but Watanabe having a good game, lots of tackles, some big hits.

Color guy is also talking about CU and CSU coming into Texas and "Doing a good job." CSU has a kid playing for Guyer but he hasn't been near as good as Watanabe.

Sounded like Grant crushed a guy at the goal line. They called it a "woo hit" on the radio because the entire crowd went "woo." Tough way to end a great season, but Brennan still finished 15-1.

Sounded like Grant crushed a guy at the goal line. They called it a "woo hit" on the radio because the entire crowd went "woo." Tough way to end a great season, but Brennan still finished 15-1.

Yeah, I thought he might have knocked himself out. All 4 straps on his helmet came unbuttoned, but his helmet stayed on somehow. He hit the RB so hard he bounced back 2 yards, and somebody else came in to finish the job.

My God. He's tough, hits hard and plays through pain? Good lord, I can't wait to see this guy in black and gold.

Also, there's a lot of talk about Grant being too short, I don't buy it. As a Redskins fan who's been watching London Fletcher wrap up a hall of fame career this season I'm not that worried about guys being "short" or "slow" when they play like Watanabe.

Last edited:
Watanabe could play very early.

As a middle linebacker, wouldn't it be wise to RS him since Gillam has the position locked down? Or, maybe the coaches take advantage of Gillam's speed and aggressiveness and move him to the outside? Hmmmm, then we've also got Rippy and Daigh in that LB corps. This is shaping up to be a position of strength.

As a middle linebacker, wouldn't it be wise to RS him since Gillam has the position locked down? Or, maybe the coaches take advantage of Gillam's speed and aggressiveness and move him to the outside? Hmmmm, then we've also got Rippy and Daigh in that LB corps. This is shaping up to be a position of strength.
Agreed. We need to get back to Linebacker U in honor of Cabral :)

If he has lisfranc it may be best for his to RS anyways. Let it heal completely and make sure you don't have future issues with it.

I loved what I saw from him last night. He isn't fast over a distance but he exploded in short areas. He was playing against some D1 level ballcarriers and got to them and put them down. Also when he hits people they go down, solid hits, wrap up, and not much yardage after contact.

Watanabe is going to be a solid player. He's the spitting image of a Pac-12 MLB except for being 5'10 instead of 6'2. Taking one "everything-but-the-height" type of player every year is a key part of rebuilding.

Funny how he played with it and Ryan Clady went IR right away and Champ can't get on the field with the same injury
First, there are different levels of the injury. Clady has. Complete tear. Second, the levels of competition are a bit different.

[video=youtube;XIX39ekSmYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIX39ekSmYo[/video]

Man, the dude is in on every play. He's got a high motor and great instincts.

Who is going to come in on him? My guess is Bailer

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

He definitely had some big hits in there, read the plays very well, and seemed to always be at the point of attack. Watanabe does need to wrap up better towards the end of this video.

A couple things I noticed from that video:

1.) Love the run support
2.) I've heard it's not a great league, but still, he didn't look that small to me
3.) I also really liked how he made a hit, got up and did it again. No B.S. celebrating or dancing around, just business as usual
4.) Agree with the earlier poster that he got a little sloppy towards the end...maybe a bit fatigued?

Hmmm interesting. I'm starting to come around to this pick-up. I think he is someone that will play early, but where? Gillam has MLB pretty much locked up for 3 years

The Buffs seem to play the sam linebacker "inside" as well. Maybe Watanabe moves to the Sam spot. He's obviously strong in run support and he can cover when needed. I think he would be great there.

I'm going to start the Dat Nguyen comparisons. Not the fastest LB, not the biggest LB, but quickly reads, explodes and makes a boatload of plays.

He reads, reads - and then explodes. I usually don't get much out of recruit films, but that was fun to watch.

Back