What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 CU MBB SOS Watch (OOC & Pac-12 Opponents)

Yes - which is why we want to avoid the 8/9 round.....
Well if you believe were squarely in like many people do here, losing the next two games is our best course of action. I'm not sure how high of a seed were getting even winning the Pac-12 Tourney.

A question for the braintrust around here - I mean that honestly since there are folks on this board who are very knowledgeable about bball - are we overvaluing our conference quality/strength?

It's easy to be a bit myopic since we see the teams frequently. And I'm not saying there aren't people outside the 12pac footprint who don't have their own tunnel vision syndrome. However, it's easy to focus on what's close. Are some of these analysts or prognosticators seeing things that we're missing?

A question for the braintrust around here - I mean that honestly since there are folks on this board who are very knowledgeable about bball - are we overvaluing our conference quality/strength?

It's easy to be a bit myopic since we see the teams frequently. And I'm not saying there aren't people outside the 12pac footprint who don't have their own tunnel vision syndrome. However, it's easy to focus on what's close. Are some of these analysts or prognosticators seeing things that we're missing?
Not saying this is the case here, but generally in sports fans tend to overvalue their own. This usually comes more into play in pro sports with trades when fans are appalled about the return they are getting for a(n) player(s).

I think the Pac 12 is one of the best conferences in the country. Very much on par with the Big Ten.

However, there were a lot of teams in this Conference that did not schedule tough at all in the OOC schedule. Absolutely pathetic on Utah, Arizona State, Cal and UCLA's part. Everyone rips on Utah's schedule, but UCLA's might be the most egregious of the bunch considering they are a "blue blood." About damn time they scheduled like one. Yeah, great RPI but when you schedule nobody and beat nobody in OOC, you are going to be undervalued if you play well in Conference play.

I can understand people feeling there is a bias against the Pac-12, but I have a hard time believing that when it seems many teams in this conference did not want to play marquee OOC games.

I'm not a "Pac pride" guy but it is a very solid conference this year. In terms of depth it's so much stronger than the ACC and SEC it's not even funny. I know Cal is struggling but frankly I still think they're more deserving than a team like Missouri.

I'm not a "Pac pride" guy but it is a very solid conference this year. In terms of depth it's so much stronger than the ACC and SEC it's not even funny. I know Cal is struggling but frankly I still think they're more deserving than a team like Missouri.

ACC isn't very deep and their two top teams are in a tailspin...makes you wonder a little bit

Ok I get what you're saying. At this point, UVA is up there.

I'd argue Virginia is the best team and it's not particularly close. Virginia has 1 ACC loss, Syracuse has 4 and Duke 5. Everyone keeps saying how UVA only had to play those teams once, have they considered maybe it's Duke and Syracuse who are the lucky ones for only playing UVA once? At this point, I believe UVA goes the deepest of the 3 in the Dance.

I wouldn't argue with that. Although, there is the factor of Coach K's tourney experience.
I'd argue Virginia is the best team and it's not particularly close. Virginia has 1 ACC loss, Syracuse has 4 and Duke 5. Everyone keeps saying how UVA only had to play those teams once, have they considered maybe it's Duke and Syracuse who are the lucky ones for only playing UVA once? At this point, I believe UVA goes the deepest of the 3 in the Dance.

I wouldn't argue with that. Although, there is the factor of Coach K's tourney experience.

I'm not going to match Bennett head to head with K on Dance experience (obviously) but Bennett has been to the tournament regularly (including Sweet 16 as head coach and Final Four as assistant) so I don't think the bright lights will prove too much. I also think UVA will go the deepest because frankly I think one of 'Cuse/Duke stands a good chance of not even making the Sweet 16. I'm just not high on either. I think an Arizona or Florida would beat either with relative ease.

I was being a bit conservative with my UVA ranking. UVA did what it had to do with the cards it was dealt, I have no problem saying they are the best team in the ACC.

Now in terms of argument Duke/Cuse (as well as UNC) being lucky to play UVA only once, I agree it works both ways. UVA did get a favorable draw not having to play at Cuse, although if they had played them now as opposed to a month ago, they'd likely win there. They played UNC when they were at it's worst at home as well. You realize a lot of this is based on UVA OOC play. If they had played better during that stretch, there wouldn't be too many second guessers about them "being for real." If they win the ACC Tourney in Greensboro that should put all this to bed.

I was being a bit conservative with my UVA ranking. UVA did what it had to do with the cards it was dealt, I have no problem saying they are the best team in the ACC.

Now in terms of argument Duke/Cuse (as well as UNC) being lucky to play UVA only once, I agree it works both ways. UVA did get a favorable draw not having to play at Cuse, although if they had played them now as opposed to a month ago, they'd likely win there. They played UNC when they were at it's worst at home as well. You realize a lot of this is based on UVA OOC play. If they had played better during that stretch, there wouldn't be too many second guessers about them "being for real." If they win the ACC Tourney in Greensboro that should put all this to bed.

You have to take OOC play into account, but it's not like UVA actually lost to any bad teams. (Wisconsin, VCU, Tennessee and Green Bay) will all likely Dance. Duke and Syracuse have each lost to two sub 100 ​teams. None of Virginia's losses are below 51.

Iowa
Record: 20-9 (9-7)
RPI: 44
SOS: 51
Vs. top 50: 4-7
Vs. top 100: 7-9
100+ losses: 0
Best win: #9 Michigan
Last 10: 5-5

Colorado
Record: 21-9 (10-7)
RPI: 32 (Pre-Stanford)
SOS: 15
Vs. top 50: 4-7
Vs. top 100: 8-9
100+ losses: 0
Best win: #2 Kansas
Last 10: 5-5

Iowa is #24 in the country and a 6[SUP]th[/SUP] seed in Lunardi’s latest bracket.

I do think Iowa deserves to be in front of us in terms of seeding. They have more impressive away/neutral wins than us. Before we beat trees yesterday we are pretty much "home hero" team.

Whether it deserves to be 4 seeds higher or not is completely another story.

You have to take OOC play into account, but it's not like UVA actually lost to any bad teams. (Wisconsin, VCU, Tennessee and Green Bay) will all likely Dance. Duke and Syracuse have each lost to two sub 100 ​teams. None of Virginia's losses are below 60.
Yeah sure, but losing to Tennessee by 30 isn't good no matter how you slice it. It's more that they lost all those games than each one on it's individual merits. I still give them credit for doing a challenging schedule, it probably helped them in the long run. They improved from OOC play, they should be commended for that. I do agree with you there the best team in the ACC. The ACC like you've said is weak this year. I think this week could silence all the doubters.

Yeah sure, but losing to Tennessee by 30 isn't good no matter how you slice it. It's more that they lost all those games than each one on it's individual merits. I still give them credit for doing a challenging schedule, it probably helped them in the long run. They improved from OOC play, they should be commended for that. I do agree with you there the best team in the ACC. The ACC like you've said is weak this year. I think this week could silence all the doubters.

I simply fail to see how Duke with 7 losses or Syracuse with 4 have done anything UVA hasn't. If they get seeded higher it's because of tradition and that's wrong. Duke and Syracuse each had a case before both lost to sub 100 opponents again this week.

I simply fail to see how Duke with 7 losses or Syracuse with 4 have done anything UVA hasn't. If they get seeded higher it's because of tradition and that's wrong. Duke and Syracuse each had a case before both lost to sub 100 opponents again this week.
Obviously that would be wrong, you won't get a disagreement from me there. I think Syracuse won't be seeded higher than UVA. But let's say Duke wins the ACC Tourney and beats UVA in the process shouldn't they be seeded higher, they would've gone 2-0 after all against them.

I do think Iowa deserves to be in front of us in terms of seeding. They have more impressive away/neutral wins than us. Before we beat trees yesterday we are pretty much "home hero" team.

Whether it deserves to be 4 seeds higher or not is completely another story.

Iowa won at Ohio State and beat bubble squad Xavier on a neutral court in overtime. Not exactly a long list of quality wins away from home.

Iowa also has 6 wins against teams lower than 250.

Last edited:

Right now, I'd put UVA as the 2nd 2-seed.

Here's where I'm at today:

1 - Arizona
2 - Florida
3 - Wichita State
4 - Kansas
5 - Wisconsin
6 - Virginia
7 - Villanova
8 - Duke

That's not a prediction, just my opinion based on what teams have earned this season.

Sorry, I have nowhere else to mention this, but I have to point out Northwestern scoring 32 in a home loss to Penn State. B1G is so deep top to bottom :lol:

Thursday, 3/6, games we care about:

First, here's the RPI around CU...

down.gif
19 Oklahoma 22-8 0.61887 0.5908 Big1211-6
down.gif
20 Kentucky 22-8 0.618010 0.5874 Sec12-5

up.gif
21 UCLA 22-7 0.616119 0.5765 Pac1211-5
down.gif
22 Saint Louis 24-5 0.614770 0.5539 Atl1012-3
23 Michigan St. 22-7 0.614516 0.5782 Big1011-5
up.gif
24 Gonzaga 24-6 0.612092 0.5409 Wcc15-3
up.gif
25 Louisville 25-5 0.610790 0.5413 Aac14-3
down.gif
26 Texas 22-8 0.609628 0.5724 Big1211-6
27 Ohio St. 22-8 0.608621 0.5750 Big109-8
down.gif
28 Connecticut 24-6 0.607872 0.5528 Aac12-5
up.gif
29 Colorado 21-9 0.607511 0.5833 Pac1210-7
up.gif
30 Geo. Washington 22-7 0.606376 0.5507 Atl1010-5

up.gif
31 Oregon 21-8 0.603338 0.5686 Pac129-8
down.gif
32 Memphis 21-7 0.602863 0.5566 Aac11-5
down.gif
33 Arizona St. 21-9 0.600540 0.5679 Pac1210-7
down.gif
34 St. Joseph's 21-8 0.599958 0.5590 Atl1011-4
up.gif
35 Brigham Young 20-10 0.599934 0.5704 Wcc13-5
up.gif
36 Southern Miss 23-5 0.5959154 0.5022 Cusa12-3
down.gif
37 Kansas St. 20-10 0.595624 0.5739 Big1210-7
up.gif
38 Baylor 18-10 0.59455 0.5927 Big128-9
down.gif
39 Toledo 24-5 0.5929170 0.4965 Midam13-4

Memphis at Cincinnati. We want the Natti in this one. 5pm, ESPN.
Southern Miss at Tulane. Green Wave, baby! 6pm, no tv.
Arkansas State hosts UL Monroe. Arkie Lite needs win #18. 6pm, no tv.
Jackson State at Alabama A&M. Winnable. Opportunity here. 6:30pm, no tv.
Iowa at Michigan State. Crazy as it sounds, Buffs would be in position to jump ahead of Sparty if the Hawkeyes win. 7pm, ESPN.
UCSB hosts Hawaii. Important game for UCSB. Could put them in Top 100 while getting 20th win. 7pm, ESPNU.
UCLA at Washington. UCLA win would mean the Buffs can finish no lower than 5th in the Pac-12. 7pm, ESPN2.
USC at Washington State. Really doesn't matter. There's a chance a Wazzu win moves them to Top 200 without dropping USC out. 9pm, ESPNU.

Started the night with the Cincy win we wanted. Memphis was breathing down our necks. Good one for the Buffs. (fwiw, I think the AAC teams are over-rated because their records have been inflated from having 4/10 teams suck ass, 1 - Houston - that would be about where USC is in the Pac-12, and then 5 good teams at the top getting the benefit of this to all have gaudy records.)

Not mentioned above, but it's also good for us that Villanova won at Xavier. Xavier is going to have an anxious Selection Sunday and has no shot at passing CU in RPI now.

Arkansas State gets the win.

Not one of the important ones, but S Miss won at Tulane. Might get an at-large if they don't win the C-USA tourney.

Back