What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 MBB Coaching Carousel

Like the coach, don't like the fit. Didn't he turn down Illinois a couple of years ago?

If there is mutual interest, the home state allure may be helping things. And that recruiting class.

Coach Pri is an Atlantic 10 guy. Think he gets a call from VCU if this goes down?

Edit: Retroactively, VCU and Fordham are new to the A10

Last edited:
If there is mutual interest, the home state allure may be helping things. And that recruiting class.

Coach Pri is an Atlantic 10 guy. Think he gets a call from VCU if this goes down?
VCU just made the Final Four, don't you think they can get an assistant coach if that's the direction they go in who has made it out of the first weekend?

VCU just made the Final Four, don't you think they can get an assistant coach if that's the direction they go in who has made it out of the first weekend?

Yeah, probably. Like a Syracuse assistant or a head coach from a lower conference school. Or do the safest thing midmajors do and promote from within. Pri may apply if the job is open though. Good as an assistant to at least get your name out there.

Yeah, probably. Like a Syracuse assistant or a head coach from a lower conference school. Or do the safest thing midmajors do and promote from within. Pri may apply if the job is open though. Good as an assistant to at least get your name out there.
I could see a VCU alum getting a courtesy interview here, but I don't think he'll even get that in this case. I agree with you though it couldn't hurt to apply.

Last edited:

Edit: Retroactively, VCU and Fordham are new to the A10

Honestly I don't think there's a chance in hell he lands a job of that quality.

Honestly I don't think there's a chance in hell he lands a job of that quality.

You are right. Short memories lead me to think Shaka leaving would end VCU's run as a contender for anything, yet they've been a power for years with Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant.

Really bizarre actually to think of teams like VCU, George Mason, and Richmond all having more memorable success in the last decade than VT. If I were a Hokie athletic director I'd be pissed.

You are right. Short memories lead me to think Shaka leaving would end VCU's run as a contender for anything, yet they've been a power for years with Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant.

Really bizarre actually to think of teams like VCU, George Mason, and Richmond all having more memorable success in the last decade than VT. If I were a Hokie athletic director I'd be pissed.
The AD has been at his job for a month? The guy Bohn replaced at Cincy. I think that's what he's trying to do with the Buzz Williams hire but football will always be much more important there.

JJ was the 4th highest paid coach in Virginia. VT just has not cared about anything except football until they splashed on Buzz. And you're right, VCU has a history of some terrific hires. I expect that to continue if Shaka bolts. It's an attractive job. Beyond the success the facilities are tremendous for an A10 school and they're about to expand their arena (which is only like a decade old and has already had one facelift)

The AD has been at his job for a month? The guy Bohn replaced at Cincy. I think that's what he's trying to do with the Buzz Williams hire but football will always be much more important there.

New guy, old guy, either one. VT should be really concerned if/when Beamer retires this decade. Good football covers up all other sports. To be one of two power conference schools in the state and be lagging behind several institutions that don't sponsor football at an FBS level in men's basketball would frustrate the hell out of me.

Chicago HS basketball is a cesspool. It takes a certain kind of character to recruit there. There's a reason Illinois and Northwestern haven't ever done anything in the Big Ten.

There was a scathing article about Ricardo Patton back when he was having disappointing seasons at NIU about his failure to make recruiting inroads locally with the Chicago Public League. I honestly don't know the basketball scene in that area except for that great Preps series back in the day on FSN.

New guy, old guy, either one. VT should be really concerned if/when Beamer retires this decade. Good football covers up all other sports. To be one of two power conference schools in the state and be lagging behind several institutions that don't sponsor football at an FBS level in men's basketball would frustrate the hell out of me.

It's all they really know. Outside of a club bass fishing championship (no joke), there are no national titles. One year they put a bunch of 30 year old Europeans on their soccer team and tried to get one but fell short. Cassell has to get a facelift or else Buzz's recruiting will be very difficult.

ftfy (we've had a few individual)

and damn proud to be a Hokie!
It's all they really know. Outside of a club bass fishing championship (no joke), there are no team national titles. One year they put a bunch of 30 year old Europeans on their soccer team and tried to get one but fell short. Cassell has to get a facelift or else Buzz's recruiting will be very difficult.

Does anyone have some info about Tad and Texas A&M from several years ago. I was listening to the guys on the radio, and they made it sound like Tad was really close to taking that job. Any truth to that?

Does anyone have some info about Tad and Texas A&M from several years ago. I was listening to the guys on the radio, and they made it sound like Tad was really close to taking that job. Any truth to that?
I never got that sense, he obviously knows that program better than most outsiders since it was Turgeon's job. I'm sure Turgeon either advised for or against it.

Frankly, no, he was never anywhere near taking that job. You might hear some people tell you they had sources that he was considering it, but they're wrong.

Last edited:
****ing brilliant insight.
Usually I don't respond to you because frankly you aren't worth my time and energy, but I will do so this time and possibly this time only. So you don't like what I bring to the table, like to nitpick everything I write, not sure why you are so obsessed with me. Are you just a miserable person? Like I said there's an ignore feature on here, why don't you use it so you can block me out?

Usually I don't respond to you because frankly you aren't worth my time and energy, but I will do so this time and possibly this time only. So you don't like what I bring to the table, like to nitpick everything I write, not sure why you are so obsessed with me. Are you just a miserable person? Like I said there's an ignore feature on here, why don't you use it so you can block me out?
You post in every thread. Every. Thread. Even when you have nothing to say. So sometimes I decide it's worth my time to point that out. Trust me, I'm not reading what you write because I seek it out.

I never got that sense, he obviously knows that program better than most outsiders since it was Turgeon's job. I'm sure Turgeon either advised for or against it.

Turgeon and Boyle are good friends...plus outgoing coaches going to another job usually have little to say about who takes over for them

I know aTm offered him a very large check. I do not know if he was close to taking it or not. Not the only Texas school to make a serious run at him either.

Izzo says he's happy at Mich St (ESPN)

Can't find where this was mentioned, but someone was talking about Izzo bolting for the NBA somewhere else. Talk is cheap, who knows, just putting this out there.

"There's been so many rumors over the years," the Michigan State coach said on ESPN's "SportsCenter" on Tuesday. "I look at people I used to recruit against years ago [that] said that I'd be gone, but I'm still here and some of those schools have had three different coaches.

Back