What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

Maybe less about money and more about OSU turning into a high G5 level job.
I could easily understand somebody taking 1/2 the money to be where they want to be. Win at a place like OSU and you become a part of the culture of the school and the community. The normal ups and downs of coaching are accepted, the stress level is way lower and life is much easier on your family.

This though is from somebody with a degree in Marketing, a minor in finance, and a graduate degree in economics who chose to spend his life teaching at-risk kids on a public school teachers salary.

Coaches may have dream schools but if they didn't have dreams of winning bigger, of reaching the playoffs, of winning major conference championships, and of being considered one of the very small club who gets to coach an elite program then they wouldn't have the drive needed to compete as a head coach at the D1 level.

These guys don't think the same as most of us.

MSU has also reached out to Doeren

That would be a great move. If they get it done. Doerens a hell of a coach.

That would be a great move. If they get it done. Doerens a hell of a coach.
He is,

Getting the impression though that MSU is becoming a coach killing job.

Their boosters want them to be Michigan but they don't have the resources, the tradition, the established recruiting pipelines, etc. that Michigan has. They are a program that can and should aspire to be top 25 consistently but in the B1G they are never going to be better than second tier with MU, tOSU, PSU ahead of them and some schools like Iowa and Wisconsin on par but probably slightly ahead of them. Now with U$C, UW, and the Ducks coming in they risk slipping further back.

Their booster don't see it this way.

He is,

Getting the impression though that MSU is becoming a coach killing job.

Their boosters want them to be Michigan but they don't have the resources, the tradition, the established recruiting pipelines, etc. that Michigan has. They are a program that can and should aspire to be top 25 consistently but in the B1G they are never going to be better than second tier with MU, tOSU, PSU ahead of them and some schools like Iowa and Wisconsin on par but probably slightly ahead of them. Now with U$C, UW, and the Ducks coming in they risk slipping further back.

Their booster don't see it this way.
If I have to guess there, I'm going with Jason Candle taking that gig. Smith's a weird fit there, and I think he's likely intrigued by a couple of possible openings-

Washington-Smith was there as an OC for Petersen. Listening to Kalen DeBoer talk last week........I don't think he wants A&M. I do think he'd be really interested in Michigan if Jim Harbaugh were to leave.
UCLA-If that gig opens, JS has to be the leader in the clubhouse. He's a Pasadena native.
USC-See above. Riley isn't on the hot seat, but you can't write him heading to the NFL off.

Last edited:
If I have to guess there, I'm going with Jason Candle taking that gig. Smith's a weird fit there, and I think he's likely intrigued by a couple of possible openings-

Washington-Smith was there as an OC for Petersen. Listening to Kalen DeBoer talk last week........I don't think he wants A&M. I do think he'd be really interested in Michigan if Jim Harbaugh were to leave.
UCLA-If that gig opens, JS has to be the leader in the clubhouse. He's a Pasadena native.
USC-See above. Riley isn't on the hot seat, but you can't write him heading to the NFL off.
The MSU people I know, also think that Jason Candle is the guy.

I could see them promoting Lindgren. They are loving what's been going on with the program, so they will want to stay the course. He's the longest tenured OC in the conference and has a very similar personality to Smith.
Seems like there could be quality portal defections from OSU players seeming continued P5 opps.

I could see them promoting Lindgren. They are loving what's been going on with the program, so they will want to stay the course. He's the longest tenured OC in the conference and has a very similar personality to Smith.
They also don't have a lot of choice. They and Wazzou are currently the biggest losers in the conference re-alignment situation. They can't make big commitments without knowing where they will be in the next few years in terms of media revenues.

Back