What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alamo Bowl Official Thread - COLORADO V OKIE STATE - DEC 29

I know this ain't going to be a popular sentiment. To me this game says alot about coach MM. I have been a big supporter but at the same time critical of how he prepares his team during off time. To me that's an intensity issue.

We don't have to win, but if we come out and can't hang, then I am worried about MM as a coach. I start to think that JL was the fire in the belly of this team. I really don't want to think that.

Please MM, erase any doubt. Let's go CU!
Chev brings plenty of fire to the team, but honestly, I'm getting tired of the notion that coaches have to/should be the ones getting their team "fired up" to play. Coaches should be teachers and motivators, but come game time, the players need to take it upon themselves to get in the right mindset

Chev brings plenty of fire to the team, but honestly, I'm getting tired of the notion that coaches have to/should be the ones getting their team "fired up" to play. Coaches should be teachers and motivators, but come game time, the players need to take it upon themselves to get in the right mindset
I'm having a hard time reconciling the bolded with the rest of your post.

We've been ****ing terrible for over 10 years. Many of our players will only have this one chance to play in a bowl game. Nothing/no one will motivate them if the internal fire is not already red hot. We're not yet a regular program. We're has beens who are trying to be somebodies again. Winning this game is another step in that journey.

If you have to get up for this game as a player, Idk what to tell ya. I'm confident they will be. That's what all that ****ing work was for.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're missing... Coaches should be teachers and motivators at a basic level, but at some point the players have to take accountability and be self-motivated. Pre game (and even in-game) coach motivation only goes so far.
Ok, I have to give Skibum credit....I get TShekler's point, but the contradiction in the way it was phrased the first time was pretty funny.

There are some games (those trap games) where a coach is a big factor in motivation. There are also practices, particularly late in spring and in the middle of the season where the coach needs to bring the energy to lift the players. We would all like to believe players should be self responsible for motivation, but that isn't human nature. Very few can self motivate all the time. My guess is that none of the players will need extra incentive for this game so no one will know whether JMFL will be missed on the d side of the ball in that context until next season.

From Woelk's article:
Since 1960, only nine programs in the nation have achieved a top 10 ranking in every decade from the 1960s through the 2000s: Alabama, Auburn, Colorado, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State and Washington.
But if the Buffs can finish the year with another top 10 spot, they will be one of only five programs to achieve such status in each of the last six decades, joining Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and Ohio State.

@TSchekler - what makes you think the players aren't ready to jump through a brick wall and kick some okie lite ass?

@TSchekler - what makes you think the players aren't ready to jump through a brick wall and kick some okie lite ass?
Nothing at all. I believe (hope) they are. My comment was in response to this notion that Leavitt was the fire on the team and what made our guys "get up" for games and not come out flat, etc. I think too much stock is put into the intangible and emotional aspects of the game, when the players are the ones who have to go out and play the game.

Nothing at all. I believe (hope) they are. My comment was in response to this notion that Leavitt was the fire on the team and what made our guys "get up" for games and not come out flat, etc. I think too much stock is put into the intangible and emotional aspects of the game, when the players are the ones who have to go out and play the game.

Got it.
Seems like Phillip Lindsay and Sefo have enough energy and excitement to ignite the team.

I generally take Chiv's excitement in the context of CU's recruiting, which is fine.

I'm guessing some of Mac's players will go on to coaching careers after learning about how to motivate a team following their profound experience living through The Rise.

Okay. Starting to get a little juiced for this game. So much can still be accomplished by this amazing group of young men.

Very cool thing with the Rashaan decal, that's awesome. They just need to play for the guys next to them, that's motivation enough. I don't mean just the starters either.

Dicks sporting goods on arapahoe and Parker road completely sold out of CU gear. Good holiday season for the buffs this year.

Back