What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl projections

Strikeout or hit it out of the park...but it just feels wrong not to swing. NC>>>>Rose Bowl
giphy.gif

When CU beats Alabama in the Peach Bowl, I hope the team opts not to play in the championship. It isn't a traditional bowl game and it's played in an NFL stadium. What fun is that?
Don't be a dick. You're better than that.

I am with those that want to see CU advance to the CFP.

I am very much a traditionalist and actually prefer the old method of picking a champion, pre-BCS. While not the best way to choose a champion, it was how CFB did it. I liked the "if onlys" of the old method and the debates of the old ways. Some years you get two champions because coaches get their panties in a wad because your "not a rival" will get a NC before you do, but I'm not bitter.

I want to see CU play in the Peach Bowl for a couple of reasons.
1) it is the path to a championship. That doesn't happen often unless you have a 35487 zip code. CU is now in a conference that is aligned to the Rose Bowl... it will happen.
2) Absolutly personal... the Peach Bowl is reachable by my entire family... without having to sell some off for medical experiments.

I get it, the Rose Bowl is the "Granddaddy of them all." In my mind this is more a product of good advertising and the tie to the Big 10. Until CU joined the PAC 12, I couldn't give 2 ****s for the PAC 10. Through the majority of my life, the "Grandaddy" was the Orange Bowl. If you made it to the Orange Bowl, you did something! I don't have some historical attachment to the PAC 10 v. BIG 10 match-up.

The Rose Bowl is now the big prize for a PAC 12 team, so yes, I want to see CU there if they can't make a championship run. I think it would be awesome to see a Buffalo trod on that ground so hallowed by the PAC 10 and Big 10... kind of busting down the door of their elitism.

Go buffs... .and I'm not a dick!

Split national champions is essentially a tie. Ties are ****ing horrible. Every sport crowns one champion at the end of the year and just because college football had it so ****ed up for decades, doesn't mean it should remain that way. There can only be one!

Comrade BigSky here. You always play to win...and the CFP is penultimate championship in College Sports. The Rose Bowl would be an incredible consolation prize, but the chances of being in the playoffs is so slim, and everything has to go right, you take your shots when you get them.
If it's in Atlanta, I guarantee you I'll be there.

Let's just win this week.
What's the ultimate championship? Being that the CFP is the second to last.

Also, next reason to hate playoffs - say CU DOES (or any team for that matter) play Alabama and wins. You've just beat the best team in the country. WTF? Now off to play a worse team for the title??? SO DUMB!

Also, next reason to hate playoffs - say CU DOES (or any team for that matter) play Alabama and wins. You've just beat the best team in the country. WTF? Now off to play a worse team for the title??? SO DUMB!
If we beat Alabama, they obviously aren't the best team in the country. #logic

I am with those that want to see CU advance to the CFP.

I am very much a traditionalist and actually prefer the old method of picking a champion, pre-BCS. While not the best way to choose a champion, it was how CFB did it. I liked the "if onlys" of the old method and the debates of the old ways. Some years you get two champions because coaches get their panties in a wad because your "not a rival" will get a NC before you do, but I'm not bitter.

I want to see CU play in the Peach Bowl for a couple of reasons.
1) it is the path to a championship. That doesn't happen often unless you have a 35487 zip code. CU is now in a conference that is aligned to the Rose Bowl... it will happen.
2) Absolutly personal... the Peach Bowl is reachable by my entire family... without having to sell some off for medical experiments.

I get it, the Rose Bowl is the "Granddaddy of them all." In my mind this is more a product of good advertising and the tie to the Big 10. Until CU joined the PAC 12, I couldn't give 2 ****s for the PAC 10. Through the majority of my life, the "Grandaddy" was the Orange Bowl. If you made it to the Orange Bowl, you did something! I don't have some historical attachment to the PAC 10 v. BIG 10 match-up.

The Rose Bowl is now the big prize for a PAC 12 team, so yes, I want to see CU there if they can't make a championship run. I think it would be awesome to see a Buffalo trod on that ground so hallowed by the PAC 10 and Big 10... kind of busting down the door of their elitism.

Go buffs... .and I'm not a dick!
Agree with all. Just felt folks were being pretty dismissive of an amazing possibility. The Rose Bowl is the best bowl (CFP the best outcome) and should never be viewed as a consolation.

I was joking when I called you a dick. Sorry.

Agree with all. Just felt folks were being pretty dismissive of an amazing possibility. The Rose Bowl is the best bowl (CFP the best outcome) and should never be viewed as a consolation.

I was joking when I called you a dick. Sorry.
Who was dismissive? I heard people say it's a great opportunity, better than expected, and that applies to more than the Rose Bowl (which is the biggest prize outside the top 4). But it's not for all the marbles, so yeah, it is by definition a consolation, but that is not being dismissive.

So - quick question here (as I don't want to derail this thread):

What do you guys think of the trade off between potentially getting in to the CFP and a shot at the NC vs. the tradition and pageantry of the Rose Bowl? I'm really torn here and interested in everyone's input. Thanks, I will hang up and listen to the responses.

What do you guys think of the trade off between potentially getting in to the CFP and a shot at the NC vs. the tradition and pageantry of the Rose Bowl? I'm really torn here and interested in everyone's input. Thanks, I will hang up and listen to the responses.
Don't be a dick

I remember when the Broncos lost to the Steelers in the AFC championship game the WSJ estimated the loss of money from not being in the Super Bowl was something like $30 million in lost publicity and revenue. I would think CU would miss out on quite a bit of that not being in the CFP.

How many of you CFP zealots are buying airline travel to Atlanta?

I'm thinking that the people with minds blown are planning to be TV fans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I want to hear who is actually going to put cash on the barrelhead, book a flight to Atlanta to enjoy the company of tens of thousands of Bama fans milling about your hotel lobby.

It's a lot easier to make the argument about the merits of the CFP over the Rose if you know you'll be watching either game from the sofa of your own home.

It's pretty damn selfish to keep 30,000 CU alums who reside in Southern California and all the parents of CU's California players from an easy trip to the Rancho Cucamonga - Anaheim bi-city area to enjoy the Rose Bowl.

Hell I was going to Shreveport or New Mexico if we made a bowl this year. I'm for damn sure going to Atlanta if it somehow happens.

Seriously? So if the number one seed in any sport loses, the playoffs are bogus? Not following this "logic" at all.

"You, sir, are an idiot" (my Sandy Clough). I'm kidding, the CFP, no question.

Similar to the question, making the Big Dance or winning the NIT.

But parades and floats and twirling batons...
****ing NFL fans.

For me, college football has been about the games. But there can only be one, I guess. One success and 120 failures. CFP has been better than I thought, but (honest question), has it really made college football better?

Old man continues to shout at clouds...

****ing NFL fans.

For me, college football has been about the games. But there can only be one, I guess. One success and 120 failures. CFP has been better than I thought, but (honest question), has it really made college football better?

Well, you get more games, so shouldn't that make you happy?

****ing NFL fans.

At this point the Buff's season could never be a failure and I hope no one is arguing that, but that has nothing to do with the question of Playoff vs. Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
****ing NFL fans.

Yes and there are not 120 failures in CFB, that's really a silly statement.

I still do not understand why people object to playoffs.

I wonder if Michigan, Ohio State or USC fans feel the same way about the Rose Bowl as some of the CU fans around here. Something tells me they absolutely view it as a consolation prize for not being included in the CFP. It will be cool, one day, when 100% our fan base starts acting as if.

thinking about this thread, it occurs to me that the gap (in money, prestige, fan experience, attendance, viewership, whatever) between the playoffs and Rose bowl is much, much, much smaller than the gap between the Rose bowl and any other bowl, including the Cotton, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta.

Back