What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl projections

I can't believe people are actually suggesting that they would prefer the Rose Bowl over a Playoff game. That is like saying you wouldn't marry a 10 and decided on a 5, just because you wouldn't want anyone hitting on your 10 wife. Unbelievable mentality.
Did you just call the Rose Bowl a 5? more like 9.5.

Edit - Duff beat me to it.

I can't believe people are actually suggesting that they would prefer the Rose Bowl over a Playoff game. That is like saying you wouldn't marry a 10 and decided on a 5, just because you wouldn't want anyone hitting on your 10 wife. Unbelievable mentality.

Atlanta is the 5.
Pasadena is the 10.

The prestige of the Rose is an 8
The prestige of a CFP is a 10.

When you crunch the math, the Rose is 3 higher.

This thread is making my head hurt more than some of the idiotic posts about the graphic not making any sense in my uniform prediction threads. o_Oo_Oo_O

Of course Playoff > Rose Bowl. Of course our body of work says we have a puncher's chance if we get there. A few weeks ago someone on this board said we'd lose 56-3 to Alabama or Clemson. Clemson promptly went out and lost to Pitt. Underdogs win sometimes. That's why they play the games.

Last edited:
Look. Winning a National Champion would be sweet. But the playoffs are only about an outcome. That one team. I watched the playoffs last year. I don't remember, other than Alabama who was in them. Sad, I know. Maybe Oklahoma with a loss in the first round to an ACC team? I don't know. Maybe it was Texas Tech. I don't give a ****.

But you can bet your sweet ass that I remember that Stanford kicked the **** out of Iowa in the Rose Bowl. Because it's the ****ing Rose Bowl, and it's about a lot more than just an outcome that was developed to satiate NFL fans who also like college football. The Rose Bowl is what college football is about. A grander experience, and big tradition.

I'm not saying that the playoffs haven't made college football better. The first year, we saw how flawed the polls were when the Ducks (the Pac is a weak conference that doesn't play defense), stomped the **** out of FSU. But I'm not so warm to them yet, that they have more value than the mother****ing Rose Bowl.

I get that the playoffs are a bigger stage. I get that you want the best opportunities for your team. But I value the broader experience, because it writes the better story. In my opinion, if you love college football, the Rose Bowl is the bigger experience.
The only things I remember about any non-CFP champion that did participate in the playoffs were the multiple goofs from Jameis Winston and the meme's that came afterwards.

NastyFrayedBantamrooster.gif

Last edited:
I love college football. Really love it. It's the only sport I watch nationally (I root for all CU sports). I might watch one NFL game a season (probably not the Super Bowl). I watch a major league baseball game about once a decade. I haven't seen an NBA game in probably 20 years. I don't typically watch NCAA basketball if CU isn't playing.

But man, I'll watch college football all Saturday every Saturday. Game after game. I love it. Been loving it for a long time.

I can't spend my life believing that The Rose Bowl is the coolest thing in the world, and suddenly believe that it's not. You can't tell me that there's something cooler in college football that's played in an NFL stadium. Because I'm not ready to believe it.

If you like NFL and a bunch of other sports, I can see how the playoffs appeal to you. You like slick things with definitive outcomes. Flashy uniforms. New stadiums. You probably use a lot of hair product and grew a beard in the last year.

But I like the grit, the tradition, the campuses...all of it of college football. I'm an early adapter, generally. But when college football is all about tradition, I don't think being an early-adapter is necessarily a service to the sport.

I understand everybody's argument here. I just think the Rose Bowl is ****ing cool. And while I get wanting to compete for a national championship (and I really do), the playoffs just aren't cool, in a way that is compatible with my love for college football.

This is a bigger argument than just "too afraid to play Alabama". Dump the binary thinking. This is an argument, in some ways, about what makes college football great.

This thread (the last couple of pages) is reason onethousandymillionnine that I hate the playoffs. Who the hell even knows who's ever played in what games? And if we are talking about the Rose Bowl vs the Playoffs for the sake of recruits, that argument was rendered moot with the CFP. The only thing recruits these days know is that sometimes the Rose Bowl is part of the playoffs. Sometimes it's not. This year it's not, ergo, Rose Bowl = stupid.
I hold the opposite view - I think the Rose Bowl kicks ass and whatever else other playoff bowl games there are are the stupid ones...until you win the National Championship.
My preference - go 1-0 this week. Deal with what comes of that.

CU is going to a bowl, a very good one at that, why can't you just enjoy that? Anything else is gravy. An argument like this is what makes AB great and remarkbly ****ty, all at the same time...

A dude could walk in the bar and order a round for the house and some of you would argue over the type of free drink you got...

CU is going to a bowl, a very good one at that, why can't you just enjoy that? Anything else is gravy. An argument like this is what makes AB great and remarkbly ****ty, all at the same time...

A dude could walk in the bar and order a round for the house and some of you would argue over the type of free drink you got...
vodka is lame

I am in favor of playing in the CFP over the Rose Bowl, but holy ****, some seriously bad hyperbole in this thread. The CFP is not so much better than the Rose Bowl as some of you are arguing.

I just thought the goal, even before the CFP, was to win the National Championship, whether it was the BCS NC or the AP NC, etc. The goal of the elite teams was to be the #1 team in the country and win the Natty. I understand some people have this nostalgia of tradition and pageantry surrounding college football, but the college football you love has always been about crowning a National Champion. The inclusion of a 4 team playoff hasn't made the game any more definitive than it already was, it simply allowed 2 extra teams the opportunity to play for the right to be crowned National Champion.

BTW, next year, The Rose Bowl game will be one of the CFP Semi-Final games... I guess we can all agree on which is preferred next year, amirite?

Back