What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowls and D2 Championship game today 12/21

Compass bowl going on right now but not much of a game. Houston just scored to pull back to within 17 points but Vandy is dominating.

More interesting is the FCS title game going on ESPN2 South Dakota State and Towson. Good competitive start to the game but late in the first half SDSU block a kick and turn it into a TD then follow up with an INT on the next possession. Driving now and look like they might blow it open. Also playing it in Texas and the field is just shredding.

Edit: TD NDSU, now 21-7.

I really wish they'd go back to having the major bowls on New Years Day. Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Rose, Fiesta all in one day. Basically back-to-back. A couple minor-ish bowls like the Gator and the Citrus (or whatever they turned in to) in the morning. That made New Year's special. I'm OK with having the MNC game a day or two afterwards.

Agree with you, New years day used to be something I looked forward to. Put the 4 major bowls on New Years along with a couple medium ones. Have a couple more of the bigger ones on new years eve. Rotate the playoff games between the New Years Bowls and have the NC game on the weekend following the next full week.

Finish all the bowls except the NC on New Years, If you want put the lower division championship games in between New Years and the NC.

Now a one score game 24-17. If Vandy loses this after blowing a 24-0 lead, do teams think twice about Franklin?

Tie game.

Tony Levine at Houston is a coach to watch going forward. Not a big name nationally, but interesting background and is having success as the head guy.

Tie game.

Tony Levine at Houston is a coach to watch going forward. Not a big name nationally, but interesting background and is having success as the head guy.
He's kind of what we all wanted Embree to be, just in a lower conference of football and he's actually succeeding.

Tie game.

Member of the tribe?

Can't recall too many Jewish head coaches. Marv Levy stands out.

I really wish they'd go back to having the major bowls on New Years Day. Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Rose, Fiesta all in one day. Basically back-to-back. A couple minor-ish bowls like the Gator and the Citrus (or whatever they turned in to) in the morning. That made New Year's special. I'm OK with having the MNC game a day or two afterwards.

:yeahthat:

That's my annual rant... thanks for reminding me!

Yes. The Citrus Bowl! The Peach Bowl! The Bluebonnet Bowl! The Cotton Bowl actually played at the Cotton Bowl stadium!

Put all the corporate sponsors in front of the name of the bowl as presenters. But come on, now, tradition! The bowl games of my youth were very special and now there's too many of them and they all have weird names and marginal 7-win Conference USA teams playing in them.

Yes. The Citrus Bowl! The Peach Bowl! The Bluebonnet Bowl! The Cotton Bowl actually played at the Cotton Bowl stadium!

Put all the corporate sponsors in front of the name of the bowl as presenters. But come on, now, tradition! The bowl games of my youth were very special and now there's too many of them and they all have weird names and marginal 7-win Conference USA teams playing in them.

We now have 32 bowls so 64 teams get a bowl bid. It is crazy that a 6-6 team from a mid-major conference gets to go play in front of 15,000 paying fans and go home 6-7 and still brag about making a bowl.

We now have 32 bowls so 64 teams get a bowl bid. It is crazy that a 6-6 team from a mid-major conference gets to go play in front of 15,000 paying fans and go home 6-7 and still brag about making a bowl.
I'd love to see less bowls, but you always see the argument, "if you don't like it, don't watch." Uhh, it's not that, it diminishes the achievement of actually making a bowl game.

I'd love to see less bowls, but you always see the argument, "if you don't like it, don't watch." Uhh, it's not that, it diminishes the achievement of actually making a bowl game.

Agree, being .500 including a win over a bad FCS school and finishing 7 in a 12 team conference isn't something that necessarily needs a reward.

Agree, being .500 including a win over a bad FCS school and finishing 7 in a 12 team conference isn't something that necessarily needs a reward.
I remember when BCS eligible teams didn't necessarily make bowl games. So yeah I'd have less slots. I'd also like it to be determined moreso by what they do on the field than off of it. Anotherwards Notre Dame shouldn't get to go to a better bowl over a more deserving team because they can sell tickets. I realize with this being a business, that's unlikely to happen.

I think every team should make a bowl game.
And they don't keep score
And every player gets a participation trophy.
And after the game players get juice boxes and orange slices.
And because it was the last game of the season, the coach takes all the players out to get pizza.

I wouldn't be against every team being allowed to play an extra game in the post season, I don't think it's more of an affront to college football than beef o brady is.

This is my biggest bitch about CFB today. New years day used to mean something, now it's just a day where maybe a good game will be on.

I counted 35 bowl games, so 70 teams get in! I think there should be no more than 25. Put the good ones on NYD and give us 12 straight hours of football.

Since we now have 35, the answer must have been no
Here's the thing in cfb, when you have potentially 3-4 cupcakes before conference play, it's very misleading. Take the Terps, they started out 4-0, only game you could even describe as one that could be challenging was WVU (as it turned out it wasn't, but nobody thought they'd win the way they did). So all they had to do from there on out was win two games to make a bowl. They won three, but the only good one was VT. They had pathetic performances against Wake (on the road) and Syracuse at home, BC was more than a winnable game. They played uninspiring against FSU. not that I expected them to win. But if you want to say, "they made a bowl"=good season, I would disagree with that. Bowls have turned into participation trophies.

I think every team should make a bowl game.
And they don't keep score
And every player gets a participation trophy.
And after the game players get juice boxes and orange slices.
And because it was the last game of the season, the coach takes all the players out to get pizza.

Dan Hawkins loves you dude!!

There is obviously a lot of television money in these games - because watching the games, very few have big crowds.

Holiday break, lots of people (specifically male viewers) home with nothing to do but watch sports on tv. Much of the country with sucky weather, spent all the money on Christmas.

A lot of the lower end bowls have payouts that barely cover the cost of the schools participating, and a lot of schools lose money if they bring the band and boosters, etc. They are still willing to do it though because it lets them tell the boosters that they are a bowl team and ask for more money.

They are also fairly cheap to put on. In a number of the cities local business groups and governmental agencies provide incentives with financial and in-kind assistance hoping to make the money back on having the city on national tv and on bringing in a few thousand fans from each school to spend money.

With all that there have been bowls in some places that make no sense. I'm not sure that as a school I'd be all that pumped up about playing in the Little Ceasars bowl (Detroit,) or some of the other garden spots bowls have been held.

Holiday break, lots of people (specifically male viewers) home with nothing to do but watch sports on tv. Much of the country with sucky weather, spent all the money on Christmas.

A lot of the lower end bowls have payouts that barely cover the cost of the schools participating, and a lot of schools lose money if they bring the band and boosters, etc. They are still willing to do it though because it lets them tell the boosters that they are a bowl team and ask for more money.

They are also fairly cheap to put on. In a number of the cities local business groups and governmental agencies provide incentives with financial and in-kind assistance hoping to make the money back on having the city on national tv and on bringing in a few thousand fans from each school to spend money.

With all that there have been bowls in some places that make no sense. I'm not sure that as a school I'd be all that pumped up about playing in the Little Ceasars bowl (Detroit,) or some of the other garden spots bowls have been held.
If CU is playing in a lower bowl game, aren't we all getting excited about that? Even a bad bowl, it's only our second appearance since Barnett left.

If CU is playing in a lower bowl game, aren't we all getting excited about that? Even a bad bowl, it's only our second appearance since Barnett left.

Yes we do get all excited and are happy even if we don't make any money off it. The Bowl city is happy if they get free publicity and a few thousand visitors, and the network (ESPN) is happy if they get enough add revenue to pay for the rights cost plus make some money.

With all that if we are 6-6 with no wins over decent teams we probably don't belong there. I guarantee that a 6-6 team from a mid-major conference doesn't belong there.

GoDaddy bowl! wooooooooh! How do these games get played on these dates? Stupid.

Ball State was leading 20-16 with about 1:30 left and then Ark State scores with 32 seconds left for a 23-20 lead.

Back