What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chev: "I have to do better"

Our problems are largely on 3rd down, whether it's play calling (middle of the field, 3rd and 15, run it up the middle so Brady f'n Quinn can call it a win?) or Montez throwing the ball behind the receiver.

Based on??? Because it be based on his vision, patience, quick feet, or ability to break tackles since he's very good at those things.
Dunno about vision, because there's not much there, but to me he runs way too upright and goes down easily. We need someone who can make something out of nothing and he's not that guy.

Just watched the game, managed to avoid any indication of results until I watched it.

A few things.
1. Are we back to Dan Hawkins with Lil Hawk at QB. Have they forgotten that we have one of the stronger armed QBs in the league. Series after series without a throw more than 3-4 yards past the line of scrimmage. We threw downfield on the first possession and scored a TD then promptly got to the point where the Huskies didn't even concern themselves instead pressing the LOS.

2. I love McMillan but the running plays were beyond predictable. Result lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd and longs. Followed by another run or short pass leaving us dead in the water.

3. Super glue Kaiser to the bench, he continues to be terrible and his failures potentially cost us scores today. While we are at it, why is Tonz continuing to be sent out their to get beat like a rented mule.

4. When Viska isn't running it our wildcat is pathetic.

Chev, you can fix this stuff.

Dunno about vision, because there's not much there, but to me he runs way too upright and goes down easily. We need someone who can make something out of nothing and he's not that guy.
Um no. We need a second back so McMillian doesnt get ran into the ground. Our second RB had 2 carries.

With Montez, is there really a need for it? Especially with Viska out. Leave Montez in and there is truly the possibility of a pass.
Nobody needs to run it. The wildcat was named after k-state because they basically always had a running qb that hardly ever threw a pass. Just run the offense. If you want, put Viska as the tailback in the I. That would at least give you options.

There's a reason to be pissed. But this game ain't it. Solid performance on two sides of the ball.

I'm feeling okay tonight.

This. 5-2. Best teams are behind us. Also the fact anyone can’t see tha ****ing disparity of line talent, crazy. Equal in skill players tho.

Nobody needs to run it. The wildcat was named after k-state because they basically always had a running qb that hardly ever threw a pass. Just run the offense. If you want, put Viska as the tailback in the I. That would at least give you options.
The wildcat puts numbers back in the offenses favor for short yardage. If they aren’t going to have Montez run more often, the wildcat is needed at times

McMillian is an average back and not what this offense needs on every play. Fontenot or Bish deserved some snaps too. Seems like we play the same guys too much and too long. Fresh faces made impacts today, keep trying them.

Also, Chiv is making sure Montez comes back next season calling this crappy of games back to back! The offense is not clean with better RPO fakes and crisper motion. Yes, the Oline is really failing us right now, but man the offense is bogged down right now.

McMillian is an average back and not what this offense needs on every play. Fontenot or Bish deserved some snaps too. Seems like we play the same guys too much and too long. Fresh faces made impacts today, keep trying them.

Also, Chiv is making sure Montez comes back next season calling this crappy of games back to back! The offense is not clean with better RPO fakes and crisper motion. Yes, the Oline is really failing us right now, but man the offense is bogged down right now.

The offense is predicated on getting successive first downs. Tempo variance and mixing up play-calling only happens after the offense gets a rhythm. Incompletions, sacks, short gains, or TFLs put this offense behind the 8-ball because we don’t have plays for those scenarios. We just have to hope our players can make something happen.

The real issue is the weakness of the OL. When they can’t block, it becomes a downward spiral. Nothing works then.

Oh my. Why do Bish and Fontenot "deserve" snaps?

I was very critical of Montez last year, and people on here, rightfully so, preached patience. Chiv has looked like a poorman's Watson the last few weeks, but it is his first year as a play caller. I think we need to go through the same growing pains.

If anyone is old enough to remember, Mac looked like a deer in head headlights the first year against Notre dame.

I am disappointed and they could have had it today, but I thought this was a 5 to 6 win team at the beginning of the season. I am still pleased, finish strong and still a good season.

Go buffs!

McMillan is not Phil but he is a better than average back. Hard to look good when the D knows you are coming and when half your OL either doesn't block or can't maintain it. Playing any of our other backs in that situation would not have made it better.

What would have made it better is better blocking and an offensive game plan that forced the defense to respect the potential of a pass more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

We have to move to the younger OL players. Yes they will make mistakes but they will also make plays. We know that the older guys can't make those blocks, they aren't talented enough.

Who is talented enough is our receiving group. We know that Brown can make big plays, that Ento can make some plays. We saw today that Arias can make plays. Did we use them? No. instead we spent the game trying to force a bunch of guys to catch the ball at the LOS and make something out of nothing.

You can't be serious, McMillian has run behind a below-average offensive line and done extraordinarily well. He's had 100 yard rushing performances nearly every game.

Oh my. Why do Bish and Fontenot "deserve" snaps?
We know what we have in Bish. He will not be successful behind this line. We have no idea what we have in Fontenot, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he wouldn't have any more success that anyone else behind this line right now. I doubt he's got Evan's quickness or is as patient a runner as McTravon at his point.

I was very critical of Montez last year, and people on here, rightfully so, preached patience. Chiv has looked like a poorman's Watson the last few weeks, but it is his first year as a play caller. I think we need to go through the same growing pains.

If anyone is old enough to remember, Mac looked like a deer in head headlights the first year against Notre dame.

I am disappointed and they could have had it today, but I thought this was a 5 to 6 win team at the beginning of the season. I am still pleased, finish strong and still a good season.

Go buffs!

I need more anger out of you!

I really think the key for this offense becoming absolutely explosive is more wildcat formations on 3&2 and 4th&2 situations. Other teams will have no idea what to expect when we're in the wildcat. Please, somebody pass the word on to chiaverini. I would also like to see more wide receiver jet sweeps.
I thought that on the 4th down call, McMillian had a clear path to his left but, instead, ran directly into the pile. If he’d cut left there was a big hole. Viska is very good at being patient and waiting for a gap to open then hitting it. On both 3rd and 4th, McMillian wasn’t patient. He ran right up the gut and into the strength of the defense.

Back