What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chev: "I have to do better"

I thought that on the 4th down call, McMillian had a clear path to his left but, instead, ran directly into the pile. If he’d cut left there was a big hole. Viska is very good at being patient and waiting for a gap to open then hitting it. On both 3rd and 4th, McMillian wasn’t patient. He ran right up the gut and into the strength of the defense.
YES!!’ Exactly this! I thought without Shenault we should have justnrun some sort speed run toward the outside or a jumbo power package on those short yardage deals. SO frustrating. And to do it twice in a row and multiple times in a game. F.

Oh my. Why do Bish and Fontenot "deserve" snaps?

Because McMillan never punished a single tackler on any of his runs because every tackle against him was at his legs or waist because he has no pad lean. I think you have to call him Average based on the whole package. I do not think he will make an NFL Roster due to his style. Do I like him and am I glad he is on this team, yes. But, Bish has actually looked more like what he was supposed to be in the few chances he has had, and Fontenot has always looked good when we see him run. Maybe the word "Deserve" was not the the right choice of words, but maybe we should have "Tried" them once or twice to just see how they would do because Arias and Stanley were a breath of fresh air. If you are going to run down the middle, aren't you supposed to punish or pound the middle to loosen it up. I believe that every run by Travon was stopped by the DL and only got to the second level once. That does not cut it!

His/our First Down runs were: 2, 3, 14, 4, (Nixon for no gain), 4, 2, 4, (Evans for 1), 2, 4, 1, -1, (Montez for 8), 0, 2, 3, 0, (Montez for 4), Sack on last series

First Down Run Plays = 19 runs
Yards rushing on First Down = 57 total yards
Average Yards on First Down = 3

We passed only 4 times on first down and were 2/4 for 21 yards

Were you OK with the run on first down plan Duff? I did not think we were a primarily run on first down team in the first 6 games.

Because McMillan never punished a single tackler on any of his runs because every tackle against him was at his legs or waist because he has no pad lean. I think you have to call him Average based on the whole package. I do not think he will make an NFL Roster due to his style. Do I like him and am I glad he is on this team, yes. But, Bish has actually looked more like what he was supposed to be in the few chances he has had, and Fontenot has always looked good when we see him run. Maybe the word "Deserve" was not the the right choice of words, but maybe we should have "Tried" them once or twice to just see how they would do because Arias and Stanley were a breath of fresh air. If you are going to run down the middle, aren't you supposed to punish or pound the middle to loosen it up. I believe that every run by Travon was stopped by the DL and only got to the second level once. That does not cut it!

His/our First Down runs were: 2, 3, 14, 4, (Nixon for no gain), 4, 2, 4, (Evans for 1), 2, 4, 1, -1, (Montez for 8), 0, 2, 3, 0, (Montez for 4), Sack on last series

First Down Run Plays = 19 runs
Yards rushing on First Down = 57 total yards
Average Yards on First Down = 3

We passed only 4 times on first down and were 2/4 for 21 yards

Were you OK with the run on first down plan Duff? I did not think we were a primarily run on first down team in the first 6 games.

I think it is entirely possible, maybe even probable, that McMillian is an average back and yet is still the best RB on the roster by a good margin. I think we pretty much know Bish is nothing special and what are you talking about Fontenot? He has "always looked good?" He has minimal carries in garbage time against CSU and New Hampshire.

I saw the replay this morning. Playcalling was not good.

But you severely overestimate our talent. Even the WRs.

And there it is. The worst take I've ever seen on Allbuffs...

No offense to you personally, but that's just crazy.
WTaB.gif

I think it is entirely possible, maybe even probable, that McMillian is an average back and yet is still the best RB on the roster by a good margin. I think we pretty much know Bish is nothing special and what are you talking about Fontenot? He has "always looked good?" He has minimal carries in garbage time against CSU and New Hampshire.

I am an optimist Duff, thus I see the potential in players and the possibilities with good coaching. I also think that giving players a shot in a game is worth the risk now and then to see if they take the opportunity and run with it. Yes, Travon is likely the best pure RB on the roster, but if RB1 does not make yards, try RB2 and maybe even RB3 or RB4 to see who can break open the yards. I think the best RB on the team is Viska.

I read all your takes and you do have the pulse of this team in terms of demanding greatness and the reality of how to get there with recruiting and other things, we are not there, but step by step they are getting better. Thanks for keeping me on my toes and telling me how stupid my takes are, I can live with that. (sometimes)

If we were committed to running on first down, then why not have the triangle backfield with Bish, Bounds, and McMillan with Montez and at least have some lead blocking schemes. 1 back sets with 15 first down run plays, just did not make sense to me.

I am an optimist Duff, thus I see the potential in players and the possibilities with good coaching. I also think that giving players a shot in a game is worth the risk now and then to see if they take the opportunity and run with it. Yes, Travon is likely the best pure RB on the roster, but if RB1 does not make yards, try RB2 and maybe even RB3 or RB4 to see who can break open the yards. I think the best RB on the team is Viska.

I read all your takes and you do have the pulse of this team in terms of demanding greatness and the reality of how to get there with recruiting and other things, we are not there, but step by step they are getting better. Thanks for keeping me on my toes and telling me how stupid my takes are, I can live with that. (sometimes)

If we were committed to running on first down, then why not have the triangle backfield with Bish, Bounds, and McMillan with Montez and at least have some lead blocking schemes. 1 back sets with 15 first down run plays, just did not make sense to me.

You're an optimist who wants to completely blow up the offense every other game.

Good post.

I do think our WRs are pretty good but there is a reason that Viska and JayMac get the playing time and the ball when they are out there healthy.

I also love the fan mentality of "if it doesn't work our backups will be better." Yes we haven't seen a lot of Bish and Fontenot as well as the backups at a lot of other positions. Just because we haven't seen them a lot doesn't mean that the coaches haven't seen enough to know what they have. I'm fairly sure that the limitations of those players we have seen in limited playing time are consistent with what they have shown in practice. Don't fall in love with what guys do against the backups of lower division teams.

I was not happy with the play selection. I thought we failed to take advantage of the Washington defense crowding the line of scrimmage to stop our running game and our short passing game. Even when they were in fronts that included a limited number of DL they were crowded up. Looked to me like they didn't respect our offensive lines ability to move the LOS even against smaller fronts (turned out they were right.)

We have a tall QB with an above average arm but failed to even attempt to complete 15-20 yard patterns over the LBs for much of the game.

Ultimately our offensive problems though go back to this staff and it's failure to recruit quality offensive linemen from the HS level. We seem to recently be doing better but we had some guys out there yesterday that wouldn't play for some better G5 programs.

I was in the end zone seats for the game, and thus could see a lot of the line "action". It was frustrating to see the same, blind, "they won't expect us to try this play again" mode of play calling throughout the game. As much as we pounded the middle of the line in the first half, I expected to see some more play-action calls to take advantage of the Huskies stacking the box. There were a lot of options -- hello tight ends!!! -- and it was the same thing -- up the middle, up the middle, third and long. Just frustrating to watch because the game was there to be "stolen" but we just didn't get it done when we had the chances.

I was in the end zone seats for the game, and thus could see a lot of the line "action". It was frustrating to see the same, blind, "they won't expect us to try this play again" mode of play calling throughout the game. As much as we pounded the middle of the line in the first half, I expected to see some more play-action calls to take advantage of the Huskies stacking the box. There were a lot of options -- hello tight ends!!! -- and it was the same thing -- up the middle, up the middle, third and long. Just frustrating to watch because the game was there to be "stolen" but we just didn't get it done when we had the chances.
The thing is, that play action is only set up if you're having enough success to make the LBs and even the safeties cheat up to jump the run. When the front 4 is blowing up your OL and the 2nd & 3rd levels are able to stay honest -- what's a play action pass gonna do besides get Montez sacked?

all those runs in the middle, I was waiting for Montez to take it and throw a post or play action of some sort? Where did the RB swing pass / screen go? Those were a staple and have been open. I would like to see more read zone on O. Or roll Montez out with drag routes following. His threat to keep and run would create some difficulty to opposing D.

Spoke to an offensive player’s parent in the airport today and they said that they definitely practiced a very different scheme for this game that was never utilized. Makes you wonder if the lack of line caused Chiv to scrap the game plan or what but having gone to the last two games and the UCLA game you see a noticeable difference that is not just because of Shenault.

The thing is, that play action is only set up if you're having enough success to make the LBs and even the safeties cheat up to jump the run. When the front 4 is blowing up your OL and the 2nd & 3rd levels are able to stay honest -- what's a play action pass gonna do besides get Montez sacked?
The other thing that was frustrating was the lack of blocking by McMillian. On pass plays he would do the “quick scan, proceed to the safety valve spot” when our OL was getting the **** kicked out of them. I would sit there in amazement as he just kinda let a missed block by the OL go and roll into a 5-yrd curl.

Maybe this offseason Chev needs to go spend some time with a seasoned play caller? we do not resemble a texas tech O at all. That is what we were all expecting. We need more pass routes and especially since we are "so deep" at that position, trust me the prospects are watching.

I was getting pissed at Chev and all the 1st down run attempts between the tackles, especially long after it stopped working. He changed it up with some passes on 1st but give props to UW...they are one of the best Ds in the country and they were at home. I realize you have to keep them honest with the run, but ugh...every time for a while it was the same f ing play. I like that he got the ball to the TEs. Overall he gets a C in my book...not the best play calling but this is the toughest D we'll face all year.

We have to move to the younger OL players. Yes they will make mistakes but they will also make plays. We know that the older guys can't make those blocks, they aren't talented enough.
FIFY. Your post was perfect with just these three sentences.

Another issue I have with the run game is that we seem to think the only way to use our athleticism up front is by running traps and pulling our lineman. We need to incorporate more of those stretch run plays and get those defensive lineman moving sideline to sideline and then use the play action boot more with montez.

Another issue I have with the run game is that we seem to think the only way to use our athleticism up front is by running traps and pulling our lineman. We need to incorporate more of those stretch run plays and get those defensive lineman moving sideline to sideline and then use the play action boot more with montez.
You want a zone blocking scheme more or less? I wouldn't be against that really. Get engaged and let his momentum take him where he wants to go, run him out of the play most likely. The back is key if you go that route, he's gotta cut off of it. It's really not much different from stalk blocking, get your hands on and then do the work. Always keep your hands on is most important. I'd be for anything that will help out the line. Gurode and others aren't walking through the door these days.

You want a zone blocking scheme more or less? I wouldn't be against that really. Get engaged and let his momentum take him where he wants to go, run him out of the play most likely. The back is key if you go that route, he's gotta cut off of it. It's really not much different from stalk blocking, get your hands on and then do the work. Always keep your hands on is most important. I'd be for anything that will help out the line. Gurode and others aren't walking through the door these days.

UW did a great job of this against our end rushers – using their momentum to take them deep and letting Browning step up which is probably his biggest strength.

In support of Fontenot, he missed a huge punt block by inches against USC – dude does have some speed and motivation to hit the edge.

I still in am the camp who believes that KD is used too much and tries to do too much with too little when he gets the ball. When he was recruited, I was bummed that Stanley wasn't down to play DB – my tone on that has totally changed. He's a great fit for a versatile slot receiver that can line up on the edge.

Also, just to reiterate, hell yes to more edge runs that get our OL moving. I think this plays to both their strengths and McTravon's ability to cut.

Anyone forget that this is about a first year coordinator for the first time ever? A lot of AllBuffers were so ready to run DC Eliot out of town last season and now look how much better CU's D is this season.

I'm glad we are playing Oregon State this week since the offense could regain some confidence.

Huh? Aside from the first drive, the offense was atrocious today.
Thanks was our fifth (4?) game scoring long plays on our first or second drive. One was the shenault run but the others were passes, then we don't try more than 3 20+ yard passes all game.
The play action we run most the time would be more convincing if montez stood tall and pump faked.
Asu offense making USC look bad right now at end of first half... Anyone here think asu has more talent on offense than us? Don't get me wrong they have good players and legit nfl talent but we're definitely better

Last edited:
I think it’s Mac actually. I think he’s the one insisting on running it up the middle.
If he did that in the second half, they win by 3 touchdowns. I hope it's just inexperience, but he has been a real disappointment the last 3 weeks.

And yes, defense was bad in the second half, but a more experienced HC and OC would know that and take some pressure off.

Back