1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://www.cubuffs.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&id=3137614

Edit:

Original title of thread was "Michigan Coach Bill McCartney's HOF Speech". Note that this speech was posted to cubuffs.com without any explanation that Bill McCartney was speaking on behalf of the entire induction class. Individual speeches were not given. Ignorance as to the context of this speech led to incorrect speculation in the first however-many posts until "new **** came to light".

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Michigan?

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Listen to his speech. If not for how they introduced him, no one would have known he'd ever coached at Colorado.

4. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Think he is still a little upset with how the buff4life crowd was promptly removed from the inner workings of the AD?

5. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

**** you Mac

6. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

CU can't have nice things.

8. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Wow. Looking more and more like a bitter old man. I am a big McCartney fan, but that is very disappointing. The only place that gave a you a HC job and you can't even bring yourself to say the name.

9. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

10. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

He must believe he would have made the HOF as an assistant coach at Meatchicken.

11. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I'm speculating he's still bitter with how Embree was treated at "his" program. Rick George should try to get him on board. I follow his son on Twitter/interact with him regularly, I know he was a big fan of the George hire. The family absolutely hated Bohn.

12. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Honestly, if he is still that bitter, bitter enough to snub the institution that gave him the job that got him to the HOF in the first place, I think it might be better to let him stay out to pasture. And as I said, I am a big Coach Mac fan. That is the sign of a pretty small person IMO. If he cannot get past it, better to go separate ways and remember the good times.

13. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

and gave his grandson a scholarship. He needs to get over it. CU and our history + future are bigger than him.

14. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Bohn, well liked by the fans, appears to have been a sources of the football problems. Fired Barnett (now questionable). Hired Hawkins (ouch). Hired Embree (ouch). Seems to have righted the ship with MacIntyre (TBD). Obviously successful in MBB and non footnball hires. Couldn't fund raise. Now Gone.

McCartney should not have quit when he did. He relinquished his say over things at that moment. I too hope he comes back into the fold.

15. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Promise Keepers ?

16. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

To be fair, who knows how Barnett would've done if he had been retained? In 2007, after it appeared football was headed in the right direction; football players were saying in articles how Barnett's departure was a "necessary evil." But then after Hawk was fired, I saw many of them were saying "Barnett should've never been fired."

17. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Not a big fan of legendary coaches, casting their shadows over programs once they are gone. The coach should have the support of the legends of the program, but should be able to do things their way. There's a fine line on this IMO.

18. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I listened to the speech and I'm not offended. Would it have been nice to have said something about the great players and years they had at Colorado? Sure.

19. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Pretty deck move there. Maybe you're mad at the school, at least say something about the players you coached that got you into the HOF. I think Alfred Williams traveled out there to honor him, maybe others did as well. Weak sauce.

EDIT: maybe he said more at the other events.

20. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I think he is more bitter about CU not hiring his guy (Simmons,) later firing his guy (GB,) replacing him with a guy who tried to cleanse the program of the history and traditions that Mac built. Then they came around and hired a guy who was 100% a Mac guy in Embree along with a number of assistants who were his guys and who brought him back front and center. He took it completely personally when the school then fired that coach and his staff ignoring the reality of what was happening on the field.

Lost in our discussion of Klatt and his response to the JE firing is the fact that Mac was very vocal in his dissaproval and the fact that Bohn (justifiably) refused to even acknowledge him during that time. Mac walked away from the program but has never quite accepted that in walking away he no longer gets to make the ongoing decisions in the program.

I hope that in the future George and M2 find a way to get Mac reconnected with the program but Mac is also going to have to accept that this is a new era and while he is an important part of the past the future is not in his hands.

21. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Just listened to the speech, did he give this at Schembechler's funeral? I don't mind him mentioning Michigan, but shouldn't he be talking about his accomplishments at CU -- hence why he's there.

22. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Just another guy who thinks they are bigger than they really are.

23. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

McCartney definitely fits the mold of love/hate when it comes to how I feel about him.

24. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

You have to be careful with generalizing. I know several players on the team who really were upset that Barnett was fired and I am sure there were some who were not.

25. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I became a fan of the program at the beginning of his era and will always appreciate his time at CU....but his opinion of the current CU situation means nothing to me

26. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

At least he did not say anything bad about CU. I think he wanted to share the lessons he learned from Bo but do agree it is strange that he made no mention of CU.

27. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

I heard the speech a few hours ago and thought the same thing Nik did. When I listened the first time I never heard him once mention Colorado and I am pretty sure he didn't. I was disappointed by that. But as Nik said, the intro was pretty cool and pretty much all about his success at Colorado even if he made no mention of it.

When I heard it the first time I didn't necessarily think it was him being bitter with CU, you guys could be right. But we honored him at half time, and he has given the appearance of supporting HCMM and in fact I think was asked about that in the media recently and he said he was over it and he supported Mac2. I was hating on him after he tried to throw CU and Bohn under the bus with the Embree firing. But now I am honestly pretty indifferent about the guy.

If he hadn't gone whacko on us I would revere him but now #notsomuch

28. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

RG was there too. Awkward

29. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I'm not terribly offended. If Mac wanted to go out of his way to tarnish CU in some personal way, we know what that looks like and he would have done so in the speech. I think this was more about showing his respect for Bo, whom he probably feels is the single most important person in getting him to the HOF (which he is), than deliberately casting off CU. I believe that if this speech were longer, he would have favorably spoken about his career, coaches and players at CU.

30. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Whatever happened to turn the other cheek? Not very Christian of him, IMO.