What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

It hasn’t dawned on B12 execs that whatever the P12 is doing it might actually benefit the B12 down the road in terms of deal innovation and opening up new media partners. Instead we get hot takes on Twitter.

Uh oh here comes ITB.

Ultimate Warrior Wrestling GIF by WWE

It hasn’t dawned on B12 execs that whatever the P12 is doing it might actually benefit the B12 down the road in terms of deal innovation and opening up new media partners. Instead we get hot takes on Twitter.

B12 Deputy Commish is either a moron, or a liar. Nobody is publicly releasing the details of a deal before it is fully locked and signed. It doesn't matter if it is the best damn deal in the world, there is literally no advantage to letting the counter-party believe they are being fleeced.

I don't see Apple all that interested in getting way deep into streaming. Apple has always wanted to be the high end player in their businesses. They have 71% margins in their services business. Also Apple getting involved with ESPN would be bad for a PAC12 deal - ESPN already has a plethora of sports media rights.

The way I see it, if Apple was going to get further involved in Sports streaming they would go for high margin areas. I think the NBA contract will be when we see who is interested in Sports streaming. I think the real players are Alphabet and Amazon. Alphabet went in on NFL Sunday Ticket and Amazon on Thursday Night Football.

So either this is great news because it means the P12 and the ACC are combining on CW or it is horrible news as the P12 is incompetent and got scooped by a different inferior conference and we're doomed!

Comments Popcorn GIF by HyperX

I only said the P12 should do this (checks notes) yesterday.

Hats off to the ACC for being first. Maybe now it’s cool to jump in or like you said it’s a precursor to a joining forces.

This is a mess. I have no idea what is going on, but the optics are terrible for the P12-2. They look like the blind man on the corner with a tin cup selling pencils at this point.

Hopefully, something good is cooking and those of us, like me, who are beginning to think disaster is looming, will get to eat crow.

I would like the Buffs to stay in the P12-2 over the Buc-ee's conference , but not if that means no $$ and TV exposure.

This is a mess. I have no idea what is going on, but the optics are terrible for the P12-2. They look like the blind man on the corner with a tin cup selling pencils at this point.

Hopefully, something good is cooking and those of us, like me, who are beginning to think disaster is looming, will get to eat crow.

I would like the Buffs to stay in the P12-2 over the Buc-ee's conference , but not if that means no $$ and TV exposure.

I’m just the messenger here but this was just posted.

So either this is great news because it means the P12 and the ACC are combining on CW or it is horrible news as the P12 is incompetent and got scooped by a different inferior conference and we're doomed!

With this deal only bring 13 football games in both afternoon and evening timeslots that leaves them plenty of room to pick up some games from another conference.

With this deal only bring 13 football games in both afternoon and evening timeslots that leaves them plenty of room to pick up some games from another conference.
It's roughly one game a week. PLENTY of room.

The question isn't whether the CW has room for the PAC. It's whether or not they have the deep pockets to afford it from the PAC directly or as a sublicense from another partner. This ACC package is a group of games Raycom got a grandfathered 2010 sublicense price on which means they can turn a profit selling to CW for much less than most modern rights need to go for.

The CW and ACC thing is interesting. I thought ESPN had exclusive rights to ACC? Does that mean they sold those games to CW, and is that because between the entire SEC slate, majority ACC and half the Big 12, they had too much inventory? Or are they making room for adding a handful of Pac 12 inventory?

The CW and ACC thing is interesting. I thought ESPN had exclusive rights to ACC? Does that mean they sold those games to CW, and is that because between the entire SEC slate, majority ACC and half the Big 12, they had too much inventory? Or are they making room for adding a handful of Pac 12 inventory?
ACC sold everything to ESPN in 2010.

ACC wanted to loop Raycom in who was a longtime partner and also had Swofford's son employed.

ESPN sublicenses to Raycom and that sublicense runs out in 27' at which point ESPN takes the rights back and probably pushes them to ESPN+.

So ACC technically sold everything to ESPN but this roughly 1 football game per week and some MBB/WBB has been resold to Raycom until 2027.

ACC sold everything to ESPN in 2010.

ACC wanted to loop Raycom in who was a longtime partner and also had Swofford's son employed.

ESPN sublicenses to Raycom and that sublicense runs out in 27' at which point ESPN takes the rights back and probably pushes them to ESPN+.

So ACC technically sold everything to ESPN but this roughly 1 football game per week and some MBB/WBB has been resold to Raycom until 2027.

To your point, there were a few ACC games last season that I recall being on Raycom but I wouldn't be able to get them unless they involved a regional team. Can't even recall what channel they would be on, might've been CW actually.

EDIT: looks like they were on various RSN's, usually Bally Sports

Last edited:

I’m just the messenger here but this was just posted.

I think Bob is fishing for a buyer. It seems like he doesnt want to sell ESPN but he also doesnt want the crappy cash flow hes going to be stuck with for a few years. And he needs a lot of cash to renew the NBA rights. “ESPN will become direct to consumer”. Also hes merging the Apps.

Bob Iger went on CNBC and floated balloons on restructuring Disney’s ENTIRE MEDIA BUSINESS, with a push to get everything closer to the end-consumer. 💥

• $DIS will buy Hulu from $CMCSA
Will sell or exit linear networks like ABC. 👈
I called it.
• ESPN is strategic, but $DIS is open to partnerships
• Marvel and Star Wars will make less content going forward

Iger’s 2-year contract extension makes sense in this light: he plans to do all of this before he retires (again…lol!).

The global media landscape will be redefined in the next few years.

Relevant to $CMCSA $DIS $WBD $PARA (and maybe $AMZN $GOOG & $APPL)

Last edited:
I don't see Apple all that interested in getting way deep into streaming. Apple has always wanted to be the high end player in their businesses. They have 71% margins in their services business. Also Apple getting involved with ESPN would be bad for a PAC12 deal - ESPN already has a plethora of sports media rights.

The way I see it, if Apple was going to get further involved in Sports streaming they would go for high margin areas. I think the NBA contract will be when we see who is interested in Sports streaming. I think the real players are Alphabet and Amazon. Alphabet went in on NFL Sunday Ticket and Amazon on Thursday Night Football.
OTOH, I bet Apple would be willing to sacrifice some of that fat margin for a larger services market. Services are extremely profitable but device sales (primarily the iPhone) still drive the bus. Apple has been very vocal about the future being service.

I think Bob is fishing for a buyer. It seems like he doesnt want to sell ESPN but he also doesnt want the crappy cash flow hes going to be stuck with for a few years.

Bob Iger went on CNBC and floated balloons on restructuring Disney’s ENTIRE MEDIA BUSINESS, with a push to get everything closer to the end-consumer. 💥

• $DIS will buy Hulu from $CMCSA
Will sell or exit linear networks like ABC. 👈
I called it.
• ESPN is strategic, but $DIS is open to partnerships
• Marvel and Star Wars will make less content going forward

Iger’s 2-year contract extension makes sense in this light: he plans to do all of this before he retires (again…lol!).

The global media landscape will be redefined in the next few years.

Relevant to $CMCSA $DIS $WBD $PARA (and maybe $AMZN $GOOG & $APPL)

Sees ESPN going DTC. Didn’t give timeline.

Or people talking out of their ass on message boards......which you've done here.

Up to this point the PAC has been totally incompetent. Should anyone be surprised ?
To summarize your position: The CW is a disaster and the worst possible thing possible for the PAC-12, except for maybe Apple (aka the most valuable company in the world), but the ACC getting some of their inventory on the CW is further proof of the Pac-12's incompetence.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

To summarize your position: The CW is a disaster and the worst possible thing possible for the PAC-12, except for maybe Apple (aka the most valuable company in the world), but the ACC getting some of their inventory on the CW is further proof of the Pac-12's incompetence.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF
I could care less if Apple is the most valuable company in the world. If the PAC puts all their eggs in that basket there will be a bunch of unknowns
and hedging of bets.

I don't believe the CW is great and find it funny that the ACC signed on with them. Good, bad or indifferent, the the PAC image right now is amateur hour.
Maybe GK can pull a rabbit of out of his ass. Going to be fascinating to find out.

I could care less if Apple is the most valuable company in the world. If the PAC puts all their eggs in that basket there will be a bunch of unknowns
and hedging of bets.

I don't believe the CW is great and find it funny that the ACC signed on with them. Good, bad or indifferent, the the PAC image right now is amateur hour.
Maybe GK can pull a rabbit of out of his ass. Going to be fascinating to find out.
And how quickly that image changes if the conference pulls off a lucrative, market disruptive media deal while having the most teams in the preseason top 25 of any conference for the majority of sportswriters.

And how quickly that image changes if the conference pulls off a lucrative, market disruptive media deal while having the most teams in the preseason top 25 of any conference for the majority of sportswriters.
and why this is so freaking exciting to find out what happens...
I like anything 'disruptive' so lets see.

If it's for the good of Dear Old CU I'll eat crow. I've just not had anything to get excited about up to this point.
I'm been impressed with Brett Yormark so far. Would love to see CU in a conference with great leadership for a change.

and hedging of bets.

* couldn’t

Back