What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs [REDACTED]- GAME THREAD

The first tweet says everything I just stated... That it wasn't about King County's rules, but rather UW simply couldn't field a team due to tests last week and over the weekend. The positive tests may have continued into yesterday morning, but there was no way they were just miraculously going to be all good to go.

The second tweet was two days prior to the Wilner Tweet I posted, before his "source" told him that UW wasn't even close, so I'm not sure why that's relevant. King County rules may have come into play if the team wasn't actually experiencing a massive outbreak, but they were and there was zero chance they were going to play in the CCG.

The conference should have gotten ahead of it, forced them to announce on Sunday, and then scheduled the matchups after. Honestly, they could have done the same thing yesterday after the UW announcement, but for some reason, they don't feel the need to give the second best team (by record) in the conference a game. They'd rather give games to Utah and ASU, two teams that were at the crux of the Pac 12 COVID issues that caused a lot of this bull**** in the first place.
If king county changed their rules to be 7 days they could have gotten players back today based on positive tests early last week though so yes it does matter. Sources around Washington said last week they didn’t think they could play in the championship game but if the spread didn’t go crazy after shutting down their facility and the time period for quarantine was adjusted they thought they could but that clearly didn’t happen and they cancelled Monday morning. No big deal. Games are being cancelled daily right now

Eh, I don't fully believe the Pac 12 would have done anything different had we beat Utah, but that's not even the argument here. The point is, UW knew they weren't going to play, well in advance of even yesterday's announcement. As Conzano states, why announce matchups, particularly one that they had to have known wasn't going to happen, only to leave the 2nd best team (by record) in the conference without an opponent? As he said, the conference continually fails to look at the big picture.
I wasn't disagreeing with your point, and I don't think the arguments are mutually exclusive. My only point (not to you specifically, but to CU fans complaining about the conference's handling of this in general) is that the PAC was acting a fool well before we joined the conference, and we shouldn't surprised by their mishandling of this specific situation. LC liking that tweet motivated me to respond to your post, because I do not see a way that the PAC leaves CU out of the CCG if we are undefeated. The National attention to that decision would have been embarrassing at levels not acceptable to even the PAC 12.

We know the PAC is run by clowns. We can make fun of them all we want, but let's not complain about clowns acting like clowns when we didn't do everything in our power to force their hand in giving us what we think we deserve. We didn't do that, and now every talking head in America can legitimately make the case that CU is not one of the 2 best teams in the conference because of the team's performance on Saturday.

That is not intended to be a knock on the team, I am super proud of what they've accomplished this year. I just don't want us to act like nebraska fan, let other people make the case for you.

I wasn't disagreeing with your point, and I don't think the arguments are mutually exclusive. My only point (not to you specifically, but to CU fans complaining about the conference's handling of this in general) is that the PAC was acting a fool well before we joined the conference, and we shouldn't surprised by their mishandling of this specific situation. LC liking that tweet motivated me to respond to your post, because I do not see a way that the PAC leaves CU out of the CCG if we are undefeated. The National attention to that decision would have been embarrassing at levels not acceptable to even the PAC 12.

We know the PAC is run by clowns. We can make fun of them all we want, but let's not complain about clowns acting like clowns when we didn't do everything in our power to force their hand in giving us what we think we deserve. We didn't do that, and now every talking head in America can legitimately make the case that CU is not one of the 2 best teams in the conference because of the team's performance on Saturday.

That is not intended to be a knock on the team, I am super proud of what they've accomplished this year. I just don't want us to act like ****braska fan, let other people make the case for you.
I think if Washington played and won they still would have gone to the championship game. But if CU won and Washington backed out I don’t see them putting a two loss oregon team in the game instead of an undefeated CU team. But it all worked out for them. I never saw the pac 12 breaking their rules for a one game difference in the standings but I thought it would happen for 2

That is not intended to be a knock on the team, I am super proud of what they've accomplished this year. I just don't want us to act like ****braska fan, let other people make the case for you.
I don't see anyone making the argument that we are the best or even top 2 team in the conference anymore, though.

I just don't understand why the conference didn't just move all the North teams up one spot as soon as UW announced they weren't playing. They can move Oregon up, but not Stanford, OSU, or Wazzu?

LOL, CU to the Independence Bowl vs Army, a 3-3 Oregon team to play in the Armed Forces Bowl, and a Washington team that's dealt with COVID issues for two straight weeks creating a **** show to the Alamo Bowl.

Let's see how it plays out.

For example, I could see Oregon opting out if they lose on Saturday.

Why? That would be worst case scenario, outside of not making a bowl game, which shouldn't even be a possibility. So, basically, worst case scenario
I'm just not confident that this team can beat or even be competitive with a quality Big 12 opponent. We are simply too banged up. I would rather face a beatable Army team, get to spring practice with a win and then continue building upon our success with a positive mindset. I just don't think facing Oklahoma/Texas/Iowa State would be good for us at this point.

My guess is RG is working behind the scenes here to assure a bowl bid and part of that is not torching the conference in public.

I'm sure RG/KD told the league "We won't say anything in public and will commit to playing in your bronze medal match if USC can't play, but we expect you to help us ensure we get invited to the Alamo or Armed Forces Bowl".

As far as the conference, I'd prefer it work here-but that involves changes at the top. Larry has to go. The conference HQ has to be moved. The network needs a competent partner. If that doesn't happen, I think CU leadership knows they have to be open to at least listening to a pitch from the Big 12 (which will happen IMO-I think they're going to make a run at CU/UU/UA/ASU before their deal comes up again) or the Big 10.

Prep for an offense we don't see? Without Landman, are you confident this defense doesn't get embarrassed on the ground? No thanks. Alamo or Armed Forces bowl.
All possible bowl opponents could be hard outs iMO. Including Mizzou. I hear you about Army though.

Prep? Cut blocking?

why not?

We've earned a chance to play a Big 12 or SEC opponent because of the record and how we've handled COVID (arguably more important) as a program if our kids want to play. We are the only school (or one of them-correct me if I'm wrong) that has been well over the 53 player minimum needed to play every week. That's gonna be pretty attractive to ESPN and their partners with these games (I think they're televising all but one bowl this year)

I'm also good not playing a service academy with no Landman (and a week to prepare for Army), and I think that game would be a huge slap in the face to CU as an institution after the (now) three COVID cancellations we've had. Don't think it'll happen though-I would think we're going to the Alamo Bowl if USC beats Oregon and Armed Forces if Oregon wins Friday. Washington probably gets the Independence Bowl nod if they're healthy. If not, I would think Utah or UCLA (depending on what happens this weekend).

Last edited:
All possible bowl opponents could be hard outs iMO. Including Mizzou. I hear you about Army though.

It'd be one thing to get embarrassed by Mizzou, Iowa State, Oklahoma, or some other SEC team in the Armed Forces Bowl. Its another to get run off the field by Army.

Well you clearly don’t know how these things work. Fox and Espn basically said the Denver market wasn’t very valuable when we left the conference the first time. It was valuable to the pac 12 because of the pac 12 network but the big 12 doesn’t have one so the in footprint/out of footprint cost is irrelevant.

We know that the Denver is a pro heavy, saturated sports market.

If you look at Denver & Salt Lake City, it is the third highest population behind LA & Bay Area for the Pac-12 regions. Utah & Colorado's population is either ahead of the Bay Area or close to overtaking it. Plus the only non-California duo that has AAU membership. Don't underestimate the pull that CU & Utah has together...if they are working together. Both can just say screw it and head for the Big Ten or Big 12. UW and UO are also likely to be willing to consider a move like that too. ASU has been eyeing the Big 12 too.

Each Pac-12 school is leaving money on the table with the Pac-12 Network so we do not know how valuable the Pac-12 is compared to the Big 12 at this point.

Well, when you play a team like Army, you better have **** in line. Otherwise, you might have a bad day. It's assignment football.

If you look at Denver & Salt Lake City, it is the third highest population behind LA & Bay Area for the Pac-12 regions. Utah & Colorado's population is either ahead of the Bay Area or close to overtaking it. Plus the only non-California duo that has AAU membership. Don't underestimate the pull that CU & Utah has together...if they are working together. Both can just say screw it and head for the Big Ten or Big 12. UW and UO are also likely to be willing to consider a move like that too. ASU has been eyeing the Big 12 too.

Each Pac-12 school is leaving money on the table with the Pac-12 Network so we do not know how valuable the Pac-12 is compared to the Big 12 at this point.
Third highest? I'm not sure Denver/SLC metro areas combined population even come close to Phoenix/Tucson.

I'm just not confident that this team can beat or even be competitive with a quality Big 12 opponent. We are simply too banged up. I would rather face a beatable Army team, get to spring practice with a win and then continue building upon our success with a positive mindset. I just don't think facing Oklahoma/Texas/Iowa State would be good for us at this point.

I'd rather get torched by Oklahoma or Iowa State over Army. I also don't think this defense doesn't have some trouble with a service academy offense-Air Force (who throws more than Army or Navy do from what I know) still ran for 284 yards last year on us. Take this week off, get as healthy as possible, and then go try and be competitive as we can in whatever bowl we're invited to.

We've earned a chance to play a Big 12 or SEC opponent because of the record and how we've handled COVID (arguably more important) as a program if our kids want to play. We are the only school (or one of them-correct me if I'm wrong) that has been well over the 53 player minimum needed to play every week. That's gonna be pretty attractive to ESPN and their partners with these games (I think they're televising all but one bowl this year)

I'm also good not playing a service academy with no Landman (and a week to prepare for Army), and I think that game would be a huge slap in the face to CU as an institution after the (now) three COVID cancellations we've had. Don't think it'll happen though-I would think we're going to the Alamo Bowl if USC beats Oregon and Armed Forces if Oregon wins Friday. Washington probably gets the Independence Bowl nod if they're healthy. If not, I would think Utah or UCLA (depending on what happens this weekend).

In what world do you live in that CU has this much clout and our AD has any power whatsoever?

Why do you think you can count the entire population of Colorado and Utah and compare it to the Bay Area only?

Just in Northern California, the Sacramento and Fresno media markets, which are brought to the Pac-12 by the NorCal or California schools generally as well are probably larger than the entire population of Utah. You're cherry-picking to over emphasize the clout CU and Utah bring. The CA schools bring more than just the Bay Area...

Third highest? I'm not sure Denver/SLC metro areas combined population even come close to Phoenix/Tucson.

forget_it_he_s_rolling-DMID1-5hiej78ui-250x250.gif

Back