What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've normally been in the hurry up club, and kinda still am but I think MM is doing the best he can with the hand he is dealt. Obviously there are/were some great DC targets out there that he has been possibly unable to land given the state of the program. However, he does not appear to be in knee-jerk mode and subsequently hiring the next warm body in order to fill the position. I think he is still working on getting a true upgrade or the right guy at the position. Time will tell...

I've normally been in the hurry up club, and kinda still am but I think MM is doing the best he can with the hand he is dealt. Obviously there are/were some great DC targets out there that he has been possibly unable to land given the state of the program. However, he does not appear to be in knee-jerk mode and subsequently hiring the next warm body in order to fill the position. I think he is still working on getting a true upgrade or the right guy at the position. Time will tell...

I am confident they will have the slots filled before the team boards the plane to Hawaii.

Im waiting for it to dawn on some of you that the state of the program has a lot to do with HCMM's ability to recruit both players and coaches. The more he strikes out, the more we can hear that we didn't really know how bad the state of the program was.

Im waiting for it to dawn on some of you that the state of the program has a lot to do with HCMM's ability to recruit both players and coaches. The more he strikes out, the more we can hear that we didn't really know how bad the state of the program was.
Yeah ok fat boy, go get a Twix. Lol jk. I agree, things are not good. I'm thinking the silence is damage control, sure seems that way.

I think they struck out on Gibbs. I think that is who HCMM really wanted, it got leaked, it came out he was about to return to Boulder and it blew up in their face. Again. Just like Food Cart. Since then I think the AD has put everything on radio silence. Notice Matt McC has also shut up about his dilemma on twitter too. I do think that plan B is an NFL guy. Zook would make me happy and so would Kris Richard. The prize is obviously Seto though.

Last edited:
I think they struck out on Gibbs. I think that is who HCMM really wanted, it got leaked, it came out he was about to return to Boulder and it blew up in their face. Again. Just like Food Cart. Since then I think the AD has put everything on radio silence. Notice Matt McC has also shut up about his dilemma on twitter too. I do think that plan B is an NFL guy. Zook would make me happy and so would Kris Richard. The price is obviously Seto though.

Uhhh what?

We all wanted him gone, now there doesn't seem to be anyone that wants the job. I hope they pull a rabbit out of their hat.

Obviously the prize to who? If it's RG and MM and don't think that's true at all

IMO he is. Whether or not the AD and the HC share the same opinion is probably up for debate. I don't think there is a better coach that matches all of the criteria that we are apparently looking for.

If it's not Seto, there are only a few hundred other possibilities. That's a lot to sift through. Someone, get on it!

Quinn is all but a done deal to ATL, so is Seto or Richard going to take over the DC duties in Seattle next season? Seto has been coaching for a decade longer and has been with Carroll pretty much his entire career. I would think Seto would be 1st in line to be Seattle's new DC over Richard, but who knows? Because of that, I would think it makes more sense that Richard would leave Seattle for CU's DC job than Seto, but they both have pretty cushy gigs so I wouldn't blame them for staying.

Holic - Answer this for me (not picking a fight, just curious)... You say your donor source has told you that the new DC candidate is NOT an NFL staff member, correct? How does that explain the "news" a week ago that there were 3 candidates, with 2 of them being NFL guys and 1 being a college guy? Does that mean the donor believe it's the college guy? I find it extremely hard to believe that it's taking this long to hire a guy who is currently employed by a college staff, unless he is our backup to one of the NFL candidates. All of this is moot, of course, unless that "news" was false all along.

Sorry if these have already been covered, but a couple updates from http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/ on names (already dismissed on this thread anyway) which were mentioned previously:

From today-
Washington Redskins: Former USC defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast has interviewed for the Redskins defensive coordinator opening.

From Saturday-
Utah State: Hawaii defensive coordinator Kevin Clune will return to Utah State (where he previously served as linebackers coach) as defensive coordinator, per source.

From what I have heard from places like Football scoop, Seto is not the next in line for the SEA DC position, Richards is. That is very strange to me as Seto has been Carroll's DC before. I have heard Seto's name thrown around by analysts for other DC positions in the league so who knows.

From what I have heard from places like Football scoop, Seto is not the next in line for the SEA DC position, Richards is. That is very strange to me as Seto has been Carroll's DC before. I have heard Seto's name thrown around by analysts for other DC positions in the league so who knows.

The coaching carousel in the NFL is a fluid situation, but all staffs (save for ATL) are going to be officially filled by the time the Super Bowl is over, when Seattle/NE assistants can take other jobs. The only way I see Seto or Richard (which ever one doesn't get promoted to Sea DC) getting a DC job for another NFL team is if Quinn decides to take one of them to ATL with him.

Pretty good article and interview (if you have 30 minutes) about how high school Head Coaches are making a great transition to lead FBS programs. I'm not saying it would be the right thing to do for the program right now, but certainly would be an "outside the box" hire to go get a big time Texas/CA high school head coach and make him the DC. Would be useful in recruiting and bring a lot of creativity from an X's and O's stand point.

http://footballscoop.com/news/chad-...-rise-high-school-head-coaches-fbs-head-jobs/

All of the guys mentioned in that article have offensive backgrounds FWIW. Do not think that is a coincidence.

All of the guys mentioned in that article have offensive backgrounds FWIW. Do not think that is a coincidence.

I think that's due, in part, to the fact that most High School head coaches are the architects of their respective offenses. It takes a much brighter mind at the high school ranks to implement a successful offensive scheme than it does a defensive scheme. However, with the evolution of the high school game moving toward more passing and read option in the Spread, defenses have had to get creative and adjust from the typical 4-3 alignment that used to be standard at that level. I think that creates a lot of ability for guys who are well versed in stopping the Spread, to get on with college teams who are facing the same challenges.

It's much more rare that defense innovates in a way that dictates to offenses to pressure them into scrapping standard systems. The 46, 3-4 zone blitz and Tampa-2 eliminated the 7-step drop (and much of the 5-step) along with putting the West Coast offense as run by Bill Walsh onto the scrap heap. The new Air Raid and Zone Read offensive systems have pretty much destroyed those defensive systems because the defense is too spread out to disguise blitzes well and the QB gets rid of the ball too quickly, thus neutralizing pressure and making defenses pay by creating mismatches in space.

It seems like the new philosophy is to press cover with 5 DBs while being creative with twists and stunts using the 6 men in the defensive box, whose goal is to keep the QB in the pocket while generating quick pressure up the middle. Giants did this in their Super Bowl win against New England by using 4 DEs on the DL and getting into Brady's grill with all the twists they ran. Michigan State has done some innovative stuff in this area under Narduzzi. Seahawks are the current masters of this type of defense.

Anyway, I think that offenses migrate up while defenses tend to migrate down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back